Seldin Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Alicia Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • First, there is plenty of room for advancement, if you do your job, you will have great opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Co-workers were hard working and friendly (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Properties would like to see upper management visit more often (in 6 reviews)

• They move around managers a lot, so it would be great to know all aspects of the property management (in 5 reviews)

"Good Company with Great People!"

I have been working at Seldin full-time

Pros

I have met a lot of great people while working at Seldin Company. I have always felt supported by my supervisors and have been given opportunities to grow with the company. I have always felt like my opinion mattered and I think my willingness to speak up and share ideas has helped me professionally. The days are busy but the work is rewarding. The team I am a part of is really great and we trust and depend on each other when things get hectic. This is important to me as a working parent. I know that if I have to leave a bit early to pick up my kids, my team will be there to support me- just as I am for them!

Cons

There have been lots of changes in my years at Seldin. Change can make people a bit uneasy and feel uncertain. I do feel that things seem to be stabilizing in recent months and I hope that continues to be the case.
    Also communication is always a struggle, especially with so many locations.

Advice to Management

Communicate what you can to the employees and do it often. Make sure there is a good mix of both constructive and positive feedback! Another important note- ask for feedback on how you are doing. Employees will be more willing to share this if they are asked.

Sep 11, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Hello “Good Company with Great People!” I want to thank you for being one of those great people that make #lifeatseldin great each day! We appreciate your positive review and thoughtful feedback... More

2. "Seldin"

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were hard working and friendly.

Cons

Often times people wouldn't get back to you and you end up emailing them 2 or 3 times before getting a reply.

Aug 16, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your experience with our company! I completely agree that our teams work very hard for our owners, residents and one another. Additionally, we are so... More

3. "Promising Future for Hard Workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Seldin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's no secret Seldin Company has had it's ups and downs. Given the growth of the company and succession at the top, they've had their fair share of challenges- that is to be expected in any company.

You cannot win them all and it's evident in some of these reviews. Every person has their own unique experience. My overall experience has been a positive one. Are there hard days? Yes. Property Management is certainly not a "glamorous" life; however, if you look beyond the tough days and at the positive impact you can have within the communities Seldin manages, the bad days don't seem so hard.

The majority of the people here are genuine, hard working and will give you the shirt off their back to anyone in need. Lots of personalities, which makes this company so great and keeps each day unique.

I have been pushed to grow personally and professionally here and while I've had a couple of tough conversations with my supervisor, I have appreciated that they've pushed me to think differently and grow. Every employee I have met in a managerial position has an "open door" policy and the home office has been really good about getting constructive feedback and listening to their employees valid concerns or ideas.

Given the challenges this company has faced, I believe they are doing right by their employees and have a bright future ahead.

Cons

It's no secret that Seldin Company is an organization that employees are expected to put in hard work, be a contributing member of their teams and go above and beyond for the properties that are managed.

If you're not into working hard, contributing, and genuinely caring about the work you do, this place is probably not for you.

It is tough to have a centralized home office and ensure that all employees are being held to the same standards at all times. Employees are being given more tools in order to understand how to hold people accountable, deal with conflict and have conversations from the top-down.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. What's that old saying, "Change... it doesn't come easy, but it's worth it!"

4. "Property Management"

I worked at Seldin full-time

Pros

Pay was decent, good mentoring program, data system is easy to use

Cons

long hours, weekend work and residents that are always a pain in the neck

Advice to Management

Keep improving training program

"Don't Be Fooled"

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and the ability to work remotely on a regular basis. IT Is also very supportive and responsive, and will always work to get you what you need. There are some truly great people working at Seldin Company – people who are hard-working and talented and are a pleasure to interact with each day.

Cons

Where do I start? During my tenure at Seldin Company, I went from excited to overworked to committed and engaged to disillusioned and apathetic. In the months before I left, I believed I and the team of people I worked with were building something really great and working to make Seldin one of the best places to work in Omaha. I really believed I was in it for the long haul and had found the place where I could have a career. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, multiple departments were "reorganized" and several key, high-producing and talented employees were let go. When asked what the plan was moving forward, the executive response was consistently, "We don’t know. We haven’t decided yet." During and after this time, it became blatantly evident to me that the executive leadership (and I use the term leadership very loosely here) has absolutely no idea what they are doing, nor do they take the time to intentionally think through their actions. At the very top, there is an utter lack of ability to think strategically and remove oneself from the tactical aspects of the company. Communication is severely lacking. The people who should be able to are incapable of providing critical direction. There is no consideration for employees’ contributions to the company, nor any respect for their right to work in a place free from fear. Speak your mind, and you are punished. Amid all this, Seldin has gone from a company heading towards a culture of engagement and innovation and emerged as one of fear and stagnation. While it may look different on the outside, make no mistake: they do not want new ideas; they do not care about their employees. They want yes-people and lackeys. If you want to work for a company that truly values your talents and takes the time to invest in your future, I implore you to look elsewhere. You will not find this or anything close to it at Seldin Company.

Advice to Management

Until management is able to consider their complicity in the culture of fear they have created and work towards making things better, no amount of advice will help. Seldin is a fast sinking ship you would do well to avoid at all costs.

Aug 22, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback, and we are very sorry that you were not happy with your personal experience. You are right that we do have a stellar IT team and lots of other really great people... More

"Risks the health of employees and residents"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Seldin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing - it's a complete disaster, disorganized backstabbing, no trust, no legitimacy. They hide everything, they can they fire people that actually knew their job because they were not in the "in crowd" but did the job of 5 people better then any of the laughing stock we have now. It's like a bunch of nasty teenagers running a business

Cons

A while building has been comprised and poisoned due to equipment malfunction, and Seldin demands no one be told in the building even when employees ended up in the hospital what is WRONG with you people.

You wonder if your getting fired every day - they put people in charge who have no experience or knowledge of how to manage people. It's only a happy work place if your in the corp office where they can capitalize and photo shop their fun events

Advice to Management

You have THE worst person in charge, you kept moving her up even when hundreds of people have been fired for no reason or who have quit in a matter of months. That is not a good business

Aug 16, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to post comments, your candid feedback is not something I take lightly. As President/CEO of Seldin Company, safety is one of the most important areas and we are relentlessly... More

"Property manager"

Former Employee - Property Management
    Former Employee - Property Management

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So of the managers were good to work with. Upper management not so much

Cons

They all lie.. Your their slave and when u don't play anymore your canned. Upper management are idiots and need to be put out to pasture with the rest of the cows.. Alicia Clark, Lego boy ...they are nice to your face and tell you don't worry your job is not at risk. They give you a gift to say what a great job tour doing,and next week your told you didnt know your job. And give it to some,other dummy.

Advice to Management

Grow up high school us over quit being the mean bullies. karma is coming and when it does ill be therw with one big smile enjoying the crap show.

Jul 25, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you did not have the positive experience we want for all of our employees at Seldin. You are absolutely right; we have an amazing group of... More

"Make up your own mind."

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, family friendly, monthly training offered.

Cons

Lack of communication, communicating without business ethics, in need of HR intervention.

Advice to Management

Teach your upper management especially regionals how to talk to their employees without downgrading them. Numerous examples I have witnessed and been told about. Treat all staff the same, regionals aren't the only ones needing a retreat. And communicate to your employees.

May 23, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback.

Seldin Company is proud to provide a family-friendly environment, and a culture employees are proud of. The company... More

"What a Mess"

Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Seldin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

get to wear jeans, despite being a "professional" business

Cons

too many, but at the top of the list are: disorganized company, no leadership, no direction, negative work environment, ethical behaviors seem to not exist, etc

Advice to Management

these reviews have been saying the same thing for years, maybe listen to them? instead you reply to the "positive reviews" that are posted by upper management in an effort to get the rating up. create a business model, follow it, get the leader some training. you require a college education for most positions, yet the president of the company touts in public that he doesn't have one. this is the same double standard that runs through the company.

10. "Great to work for a company that care for its tenants, employees, and owners!"

Pros

They really do care about everyone. The process was really easy to make my decision to work for Seldin. They truly want to help you grown professionally and personally. They have great training programs as well!

Cons

I don't have any cons yet. They have made every effort to make me feel comfortable and valued. Thank you for all that you do!

Advice to Management

Thank you for all that you do and making this transition easy!

Apr 17, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to provide such valuable feedback on your experience with Seldin Company thus far.

It is encouraging to hear your transition has gone so well. We know it would... More