Seldin Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Seldin President Bob Dean
Bob Dean

1. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Seldin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Seldin has great benefits, and they even added some really cool ones this year for 2017. 2 new benefits are an 8hr paid volunteer day, and maternity leave

-There are really great staff here and everyone works well as a team to keep the company going strong

-Lots of positive encouragement to grow in your position and they help you get to where you wish to be

Cons

I cannot think of any cons, this has truly been one of the best places I have worked. I have always been happy with what the company has had to offer.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer trainings for all staff and consider adding some new ones.

2. "It can be an ok place to work, if you are lucky enough to end up with a decent manager."

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Omaha, NE

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as you get a good manager at the facility you are assigned to, it can be a fun job.

Cons

They have too many managers, & not enough employees. If you are lucky to get a good facility manager, they can stand up for yoy if situations or new policies arise. But thay is rare. Usually you have about 5 different managers, all telling you different things. You have complex manager, area manager, district manager, regional manager, and various others. Management is very unorganized, and all are in fear of losing their jobs thru intimidation from upper management. They will hire you at a decent wage, & youll earn raises annually. However after a couple years, you are deemed too expensive, & they fire you to save payroll. Avg job longevity is 2 years. Of you plan on working longer than 2 years, you should look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You should listen to concerns of employees at the bottom tier. Some of the managers you have in place have no experience or training in dealing effectively with people. The managers are under paid, and you get what you pay for. Also, they are overworked. With no support. Because of this. It creates an intimidating environment, from the top on down. Nobody feels secure in their position. That is why turnover is so high. Employees are terminated without cause, with no recourse or anybody to talk to about it. And your personnel dept is of no help. They too, are under intimidation, and go along with whatever they are told, without investigation.

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Seldin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive within onaha

Cons

Pay is competitive because they have to keep people there somehow. The negative work environments, immature behaviors, workloads, and constant fear mongering by supervisorsome won't do it. I have never experienced a more unprofessional leadership team in my decades of work. I stayed as long as I could only because of the pay. But it gets to the point where it's just not enough.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Take responsibility for your own actions, including working with and training people instead of using them as your scapegoats.

"Don't work here!!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Council Bluffs, IA

Pros

You will learn what the word "dysfunctional" means

Cons

Horrible management, they talk to their employees like they are children. Disrespectful and degrading. Intimidating.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders. not dictators

"Property Manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Seldin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On the ground people have a heart of gold

Cons

Corporate office doesn't care about any employee period- everyone is replaceable

Advice to Management

Bob dean is gone and so are what little values the company had for its employees- the "COO" is not a people person and generally doesn't like anyone, the SVP plays with Legos in his office and gets paid to do it . And if your lucky enough to have a decent supervisor they will be fired if they stand up for their employees. You only survive in this company if you have no opinions of your own and you are a " yes man".

"not what it once was"

Pros

can be a fun place

Cons

A lot of turnover in the last 2 years

"Not surprised by any of the new comments"

Pros

Big company with lots of growth

Cons

Management is terrible. Just a bunch of men all fighting with one another all the time.

"Property Manager"

Pros

Strong team collaboration. Good hours

Cons

Fairly old school when it comes to things like cell phone use

10. "Great Company"

I worked at Seldin full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Seldin is well known for taking excellent care of their properties, residents, and employees.

Cons

No cons to share for this company

"Needs a watchful eye from corporate."

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Davenport, IA

I worked at Seldin (Less than a year)

Pros

Good ratio of working on projects on your own versus working with the public and the residents.
    Good opportunity for commissions.

Cons

Training is very little to none. Other employees warned me of this before hand. Even when I asked for training multiple times, I did not receive adequate formal training. Instead, I was given a few materials and told to do it on my own. There was also very little communication between the staff which was hindering the property's functionality. I honestly do not know why this company requires a drug test to be hired. The location I worked at was well aware of drug use in the workplace, yet would not do random testing after hire. There was quite a bit of unprofessional behavior in the workplace, for example, certain staff would have family members come in to visit for hours at a time, neglecting projects that needed to be completed.

Advice to Management

Beware of unethical and untrustworthy employees that are eating up this property's profit margin. A ton of time is spent on cell phones with family and friends during the workday, not to mention the time out of the office (where employees are "supposed" to be working but are out to lunch for hours, etc.).