Select International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Wolf

1. "Great People, Great Culture, Great Work"

Former Employee - Project Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Select International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Select has a uniquely friendly and driven collection of people. A healthy work-life balance and regular company social events made me feel like part of a valuable community.

Cons

Frankly, I didn't work there long enough to fairly critique some aspect that typically stand out as negatives. Select is a relatively small shop that does relatively specialized work, which for some will fairly be a deterrent

Advice to Management

I was genuinely impressed by the way that the work of employees at all levels was treated as important, and that low level employees like myself are trusted with important work. This created a sense of ownership of my projects that inspired good work, and I think that quality and pride permeate throughout the organization.

2. "Looks good at first"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Select International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can wear jeans everyday, working on newer Microsoft Technologies like ASP.Net & Typescript. People are for the most part pleasant.

Cons

They claim to subscribe to agile and scrum. However, their version of agile and scrum is whatever the development manager says it is. It's very dysfunctional. The team is NOT empowered to make decisions, because ultimately, it's the dev manager who's running the show. The majority of the young developers just get their marching orders, and there is almost no freedom to function as a true team. Avoid if you prefer to be an independent thinker, versus a yes man. It's like all the worst traits of a large, controlled company and a small company rolled into one.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at how your development teams are being run. Talk to the developers and get their honest opinions one on one.

3. "Work hard play hard"

Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Select International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and they care about everyone. It is a family environment.

Cons

We are incredibly focused on our clients which means people work all hours of the day and night. It is hard to unplug some times.

Advice to Management

As we grow, keep emphasizing the "Select Way" of doing things.

4. "Best company I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Amazing people to work with - very innovative and more than willing to help and support you when needed. Great pay/benefits. Commission is uncapped and there is unlimited opportunity to grow your book of business. Excellent work-life balance. I love the culture and the bi-annual company gatherings. The leadership does a great job of recognizing people for success and making everyone feel really valued and important.

Cons

None. It truly is an amazing company.

5. "Select International"

Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Select International full-time

Pros

Great people and culture. Fun place to work.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

6. "A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Select International (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture - Select has an amazing sense of community, fun, and workin' hard! It's a great place to learn and grow from intelligent individuals who are passionate about their jobs. The organization is open to new ideas and process improvements, so there is a lot of room for creativity as well. Everyone I work with is extremely dedicated to helping clients meet their goals which makes for a very rewarding work day. One of my favorite things about Select is our Pep Squad - a committee of employees tasked with coordinating fun events and happy hours!

Cons

There are a lot of great perks and rewards, but you'll work hard too. Since our work is project based, the workload ebbs and flows. As a result, this is not a 9-5 job; there are times you have to start early, stay late, and travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the lines of communication open, and continue rewarding employees for their positive attitude, work ethic, and gettin' stuff done!

7. "Work-Hard, Play-Hard Company with a Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Select International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, very smart and friendly people; everyone is willing to help each other out, and there are no politics to deal with. Coming from an internal HR role, this is very refreshing. Also, were smaller than many of our competitors, with less bureaucracy.

Cons

Stress can be very high from the workload.

8. "Quality Establishment"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Select International invests heavily in their employees both monetarily and otherwise. It is great to work for a place that provides the autonomy to get the job done and the support when necessary. I feel that I grow professionally and personally with each new day.

Cons

No workplace is perfect, but i am hard pressed to find negatives from my time working here.

"Fun Work Environment"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Select International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a FUN place to work. We have lots of get-togethers and social activities. It's a very family feel here. Additionally, the organization has a very flat structure. I feel as comfortable talking to my peers as I do the owners and CEO. Finally, customer service is a core value of ours. We go above and beyond for our customers, which I appreciate. This means being thought leaders and doing things that the clients value. Employees share this value.

Cons

It's a small company. Small companies have it's perks, but also their downsides. You might not get as many benefits or perks as you would like a large organization.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job of soliciting feedback -- they should continue concerted efforts to do this.

10. "Select International is more than an organization - it's a family"

Current Employee - Manager of Product Development in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Manager of Product Development in Lancaster, PA

Pros

Select International has a very strong culture of working hard and playing hard. We are a niche organization and there aren't many companies doing what we do -but there also aren't many companies that feel like us either. Select is welcoming, comfortable and a fun place to go every day. The people truly care about each other and we all work together towards the same goals. The owners are approachable and the layers are flat. Employees tend to stay for a long time because it's a great place to work!

Cons

Select is a smaller company and the layers are flat. While this gives you opportunities to do a lot of different things and have task variety, it isn't best for highly ambitious people who want to follow a clear career ladder.