Select Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2018

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio
Robert A. Ortenzio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned a lot while working there and enjoyed my coworkers (in 8 reviews)

• Nice staff, room to grow, good pay, small (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is literally dangerous (in 21 reviews)

• There is a high turnover rate because they don't offer a competitive salary (in 20 reviews)

1. "Patient Account Representative"

I worked at Select Medical full-time

Pros

Great benefits and company culture

Cons

Low pay and lack of opportunity for advancement

2. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Dumont, NJ
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Dumont, NJ

Pros

It is nice place to work and good for professional growth. Overall good and not too much hectic schedules and overall good

Cons

Nothing to mention special need more professional training and more flexible scheduled none none none none none none None nothing else

Advice to Management

None

3. "State of Healthcare"

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers were great.

Cons

All salary, raises, etc come from corporate office.

Advice to Management

Allow states to work on Salary structure as avg rates for healthcare workers varies across the country.

4. "PT"

I worked at Select Medical full-time

Pros

good people, good location, good staff, decent sized clinic

Cons

poor management, overworked, poor compensation

Advice to Management

listen to your people

5. "Okay place to start."

Pros

Supportive co-workers and immediate supervisor. Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Upper management completely out of touch. They seem to have forgotten about actually serving needs of the patients.

"Manager"

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO (but only for management and corporate campus employees), independence and freedom to work (but only comes with certain positions)

Cons

Lack of direction and support from senior management, salary, lack of incentives or motivation, too many focus groups with little to no outcomes or implementation, no feeling of being part of a team or contributions toward goals

Advice to Management

First and foremost, I learned a great deal professionally from SPECIFIC leaders at Select Medical. Overall my several years of dedicated employment were not horrifying. But, I quickly saw the disadvantages when being exposed to non-corporate campus employees. When I refer to non-corporate employees, these are simply those employees who do not work at the corporate headquarters located in Mechancisburg, PA.
     Select Medical prides itself on being one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers and expert patient care. With this pride comes the Select Medical Way – merely the missions and values. No big revelation because almost all organizations have them. There are some areas of needed focus and revision from the executives and higher level leaders in order to truly live up to the Select Medical Way. However, I suppose when one makes a certain salary a year and reported bonuses are five and six figures if not greater, your priorities can change. How can high level and market specific leaders achieve greater revenue, increase their patient volume and search for more acquisitions, partnerships and ventures – drive the staff to work hard and set goals but offer nothing in return for their hard work and dedication. This is where one realizes the Select Medical Way is not authentic. The truth behind The Select Medical Way is simple, the proposed slogan should be…”More work with no incentives and very little pay, this is the real Select Medical Way.”
    Overall the lack of empathy, advancement, incentives and the feeling of being part of a team or contributing caused me to no longer focus on supporting goals set forth by Select Medical leaders. Why continue employment and invest time and efforts with this company when I was treated as a cow in a large herd? Feelings like this spawned the venture of a new career search and path.
    I made the right decision to leave Select Medical. This has been validated in many ways – NOT ONE current leader reached out to me about my resignation but they all were aware of it. I was constantly informed of how valued I was, but was this just a lie? I suppose I was truly not worth retaining in the end and my several years of dedicated leadership, team building and achieving goals were not fruitful enough. I didn’t even receive a return phone call from Human Resources regarding a question I had upon my upcoming departure. I also did not receive any form of exit interview or packet from Select Medical. This all is goes back to my point of not living up to the 2011 rebranding and adoption of the Select Medical Way.
    Areas of suggested review and revisions:

· Tuition assistance is a ludicrous, $1,000 per calendar year but had to return 2 years of service.
    · After several years of receiving a bonus, it came as surprise during a performance review that bonuses were being taken away and just simply added to a base salary.
    · No advancement or growth outside of the corporate campus; if one is lucky; they may receive a title change.
    · Hourly employees who do not work at the corporate campus do not receive paid holidays; one must use their accrued PTO.
    · Merit increases were comical, up to 2% but not guaranteed, especially if you receive a promotion or merit increase within the year.
    · Non-corporate employees do not receive a paid day off to attend the annual Hersheypark day. There was no equivalent to those working outside of the corporate campus.
    · High turnover - this may be an industry norm, but at Select Medical it is due to lack of training and investment in employees – felt like cattle corrals at times; the new employee naturally wants to stop or turnaround to ask questions, but they are forced to go with the flow and being pressured to not disrupt the trainer or management. This often left the employee hanging without proper understanding, but still expected to achieve goals such as collections, reducing adjustments, accurate verification of benefits and eligibility, high arrival rates and many more. For these non-corporate campus new hires, there is no formal training process or manual, just checklists of who reviewed what with that individual.
    · Lack of support and direction from leaders, both direct and indirect.
    · Travel bans preventing appropriate methods of training and coverage. But higher level leaders were constantly traveling and gathering to discuss the Select Medical Way and its agenda and outlook.

7. "Full time staff therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no weekends, good con-ed programs,

Cons

no individual productivity incentive, clinic productivity goals seem unattainable,

"Clinical Liaison"

I worked at Select Medical full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and physicians.
    Nice facility.

Cons

High management turnover.
    some unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Try and keep people in their positions by providing on going training and support.

"Good place to start but don't waste a lot of time here"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, 40 hours a week is the norm

Cons

Below-market pay for individual contributors (even including the 8-10% bonus that everyone gets every year) while executive management gets millions in stock bonuses; technology is outdated; no incentives to excel as promotions are several years apart and salary is not adjusted outside of annual reviews

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rubber-stamped yearly bonus and pay a competitive salary for your technical people.

Promote as positions open up and as your people do good work instead of promoting every six months once someone has been doing a mediocre job in the same position for 3 years.

Invest in your technology. AS400s and RPG reports have no place in modern company.

10. "RN"

Current Employee - Charge RN
    Current Employee - Charge RN

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

12 hr shifts are great. Pay scale is better than most.

Cons

Do not acknowledge seniority. Benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate long term staff more.