Select Portfolio Servicing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim O'Brien

Pros
  • Decent company, good pay with okay benefits (in 9 reviews)

• easy commute nice people and decent pay (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SPS is a great place to work. If you work hard you are rewarded. The sky is the limit if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Micromanaging occurs in the call center. But honestly I've not found a call center that does not micromanage.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize those who work hard and want to make a difference. Ensure all levels of management communicate clearly with employees.

2. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome opportunity, lots of C-level exposure, staff were friendly and management had open door policy, tons to learn and grow.

Cons

Generally speaking, it is a healthy company with fun people. However, certain groups in the company are hard to work with.

Advice to Management

When conducting performance review for an individual or for a group, introduce peer review that will bring in fair and unbiased evaluation from co-worker and/or peer from other business unit.

"Foreclosure"

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and yearly increases for meeting expectations. Monthly bonuses are awarded most employees. Vacation time accrual is exceptional, you accrue roughly 3 weeks a year from the get go. Training has improved, and it is more readily available than it used to be. Constantly learning new things and always encouraged by management to give suggestions for improvements in every aspect.

Cons

Communicate changes in a clearer format. Sometimes changes are heard through the grapevine, and then confirmed by management rather than an announcement.

Advice to Management

Communicate more openly with staff. Not everything has to be a big secret. Understand that most people are working hard and want to do their best. You don't always have to find something wrong.

5. "You can't trust your supervisor or manager"

Former Employee - LSR II in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - LSR II in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job until it ended

Cons

Lots of new employees coming thru constantly, like a revolving door. As others have said it's who you know, not what you know. Some people can get away with breaking the rules, absenteeism or being tardy constantly and others they throw the book at. You are hired as a collector but you are trained as a loss mitigation expert. They pay you for collecting and not the 80% of the loss mit work you do daily as in dealing with foreclosures, attorneys, realtors, short sales, DIL etc. It goes on and on....

Advice to Management

None they won't take it.

6. "Painful to work there"

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, but with all these reputable companies moving to Salt Lake, they are going to have a hard time keeping quality employees.

Cons

Management is awful. You are never promoted based on what you know, but rather who you brown nose or sleep with. If you take your issues to HR, they will use it against you and find something to get you terminated. Everyone there hates it but have to stay there cause we need to make a living.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees. We are all human beings that need to make a living just like you. Show some integrity instead of being condescending.

7. "Scared to be fired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

No lay-offs and corporate events

Cons

the company doesn't care about you or our needs. They want robot factory workers to put out half researched information.

Advice to Management

Change it....There are alot of superviors and managers in positions that do not suit. Some people will thrieve better in advocacy where some may thrieve better in the call center. Learn your people and train your associates instead of cutting corners

8. "Loan Processor II"

Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on the Loan Resolution side and we had a lot of perks. We frequently received catered meals for staying late or working on the weekends. Lots of prizes and gift cards for top performers. Great bonus opportunity.I was impressed in training when the leadership team introduced themselves to the new hires. This included meeting Tim. I had not seen that in prior jobs.

Cons

Very rapidly there were changes in the management team, and their leadership skills were awful. It became more like working for a prison instead of working for a great company. The motivation turned to harsh extremely difficult to achieve. Jobs were slowly being sent to India..

Advice to Management

I think their leadership team was too heavy and they lost track of their purpose. Their supervisors were unprofessional, and promotions were based on friendships instead of qualifications.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

you won't find a fancy gym or a ping pong table here but if you are motivated to work than it's not a bad place.

Cons

salary aid alimony allocation allotment annuity apportionment
    bequest.
    recompense
    remittance
    salary
    scholarship

Advice to Management

increase salary,

10. "Overall all, good place to work."

Former Employee - Chain of Title Specialist in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Chain of Title Specialist in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great company facility and location, great resources available to promote learning and productivity. Supportive management.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement and to earn better pay. It took me more than three years of very, very hard work to finally be promoted and make a decent wage.

Advice to Management

The managers that I had later on in my career at SPS were wonderful. However, I had prior managers who were very negative and micromanagers and created a lot of low employee moral. Management needs to train its managers to be more positive and to acknowledge employees who perform really well.

11. "It was good but had its flaws"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money and stability, however it gets boring and changes way too much

Cons

Management never kept promises. Would manipulate to get us to do favors like completing work for someone who called out. Micro management

Advice to Management

Stand by your word. Stop using favoritism.