Select Portfolio Servicing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Tim O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent pay range for entry level (in 11 reviews)

• Decent company, good pay with okay benefits (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SPS is a great place to work. If you work hard you are rewarded. The sky is the limit if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Micromanaging occurs in the call center. But honestly I've not found a call center that does not micromanage.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize those who work hard and want to make a difference. Ensure all levels of management communicate clearly with employees.

"Foreclosure"

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and yearly increases for meeting expectations. Monthly bonuses are awarded most employees. Vacation time accrual is exceptional, you accrue roughly 3 weeks a year from the get go. Training has improved, and it is more readily available than it used to be. Constantly learning new things and always encouraged by management to give suggestions for improvements in every aspect.

Cons

Communicate changes in a clearer format. Sometimes changes are heard through the grapevine, and then confirmed by management rather than an announcement.

Advice to Management

Communicate more openly with staff. Not everything has to be a big secret. Understand that most people are working hard and want to do their best. You don't always have to find something wrong.

"Too expensive? Outsource it for pennies."

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent starting wage. Starting, not continuous. Raises are selectively handed out, including yearly raises. So don’t plan on your salary increasing.

Cons

Overworked and under appreciated, constant policy changes, management is mostly unqualified. Education and experience will never outweigh an “earned” job title.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people with zero management or people skills. Your poor management is the reason employees leave.

4. "Foreclosure Specialist"

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The only pro is that this is a job and you get a paycheck.

Cons

the environment is toxic, management is unresponsive, not supportive of their team, micro manages, there is no training and no communication. You are treated like a number, not a person. The culture cultivates busywork, bullying, and isolation. Then when you bring it to management or HR's attention they retaliate and/or invalidate your claims and be little you until you leave.

Advice to Management

pay attention to the complaints in HR and the high turnover rate, they have been made for a reason. The Titanic was unsinkable and this company is the Titanic and management isn't polite enough to let the women and children go first, it is every man for himself there. The working environment is so toxic and focused on output that they force their employees to cut corners in order to keep their jobs. They don't care about quality anything, just quantity and if you can't do the job, they don't care, they will just find someone else regardless if you've been there over 10 years. There is no loyalty and no common sense in management.

5. "underwriter"

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing (More than 3 years)

Pros

they gave us breaks and a lunch

Cons

absolutely horrible environment to work in

Advice to Management

outsource all to India like you already are

6. "This mortgage company is horrible!"

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time

Pros

There is NOTHING good about this company!

Cons

Will not disperse insurance money to the homeowner

Advice to Management

You have a real problem in your lost draft department. I wish SPS would have never bought my HSBC loan. This is the worse service I have ever received in my 20 years of having this mortgage!

7. "Your experience may differ but...."

Current Employee - Vice President of Unappreciation in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Vice President of Unappreciation in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time

Pros

They pay well and have a nice new building. There are some very nice (albeit unhappy) people who work here.

Cons

This is the stereotypical "Good Old Boys" club on steroids. All decisions are made at the very highest level and you better not question them. When I started I listened to senior management say, "If you see a problem we want to know about it." it took about two weeks to realize this was just lip service. Because the company is profitable management thinks they're brilliant. They aren't. I have never seen a more top heavy poorly run company in my life. Again, it may depend on what department you work in but the real problem is in the 'C suite'. An annual turnover rate of OVER 25% annually should be enough of a warning but if it isn't just let me say it: run away from SPS as fast as your legs will carry you. SPS is owned by Credit Suisse so you would think there would be some good leadership but Credit Suisse is totally hands off

Advice to Management

Leave and let someone fix your mistakes.

8. "Awesome department, bad management"

Current Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The department used to be really good ;hoeecer mgmt changed amd things went downhill fast

Cons

Lack of communication, management found ways to work the system instead of doing what was best.

Advice to Management

Stop doing what it takes to get letters out and complete the task right. Alot of mess has gone out the door due to tight time frames, instead of good work goimg out.

9. "Select portfolio servicing vice President slapped my wife"

Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. Its the worse company in the U.S. my wife and I are posting vidoes on youtube and Facebook about what they have done to us.

Cons

A Vice President of the company slapped my wife in a meeting and the head of HR covered it up. The management is nothing but bullies. The VP's and SVP's swear at you, threaten to write you up if you go to HR and complain about how terrible it is at SPS. I watched my SVP throw a book at employee trying to hit him with it. This is just the tip of the iceberg of how bad this company is. I am putting video dairies on youtube (select portfolio servicing slapped my wife) and Facebook on everything i have seen this company do. my goal is get ever ex and current at SPS employee to join me online and tell their story about what has happened to them there at SPS. This is hands down the worse company in America. If you are an ex-employee of SPS please join me on Facebook and share your story with the world.

Advice to Management

You all should be sued and fired for covering up physical assault, verbal assault, and sexual assault, that you let happen to the hourly employees at SPS. CEO of SPS are you proud the your vice presidents attacking and beating women? Because HR knows all about my wife's assault and she covered it up. My wife turned him in twice, i turned him in once, then you guys fired me. So how many times does a woman have to turn in a VP at SPS for assault before you will do something about it? I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL WHOLE WORLD KNOWS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO MY WIFE.

10. "Decent Pay, but upper management is horrible"

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time

Pros

Decent Pay. Stable Company

Cons

More VP's than regular employee's. The little guy doesn't matter. It's all about them! Outsourcing everything to India, including VP and management positions.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.