Select Portfolio Servicing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

2.0
Tim O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent pay range for entry level (in 10 reviews)

• Decent company, good pay with okay benefits (in 10 reviews)

1. "Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with good managers and enjoyed my co-workers

Cons

Over time the company moved from an employee centric company to a profit motive company. The employees got left behind.

"Management is overworked and under-developed."

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility (except the call center), good PTO allowances, good pay, good bonuses, good friends, good exposure, and good resume experience.

Cons

Everyone is overworked, from SVP down to entry-level employees. The business model is to board more and more and more business, and outsource every possible ancillary task. This is intended to streamline processes and make onshore employees more valuable and knowledgeable by training them to handle the most complex processes. However, this model fails because supervisors and managers don't have time to train and develop onshore AND offshore teams in IN ADDITION to managing a completely unrealistic workload of high-exposure risk mitigation, constant policy changes, and process improvements. Executive management believes their management staff is performing below their pay grades. This is true in some cases due to the complete lack of feedback, communication, and development for their leadership team. In other cases, the competent, dedicated supervisors, managers, and directors are doing most of the work while their incompetent peers are held to no expectations to carry their own weight. Everyone. Is. Burnt. Out. The other reviews are exactly right: the environment is negative and management is moody, executives overreact and cause tidal waves of panic, favoritism is high but loyalty is low, appreciation is absolutely non-existant. Highly-regulated industry makes work challenging, add poor management and is work miserable.

Advice to Management

"Stop dating and spend some time self-searching." Stop boarding loans until you clean up old, inefficient, non-compliant processes overseen by old-school managers clinging to redundant and outdated processes. Complaints, disputes, escalations, investigations and lawsuits will continue to pile up in the meantime, and everyone is sick of de-escalating fires all day. Eventually you will have too many loans, too few capable and motivated employees, and too many violations that can't be concealed.

3. "Painful to work there"

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, but with all these reputable companies moving to Salt Lake, they are going to have a hard time keeping quality employees.

Cons

Management is awful. You are never promoted based on what you know, but rather who you brown nose or sleep with. If you take your issues to HR, they will use it against you and find something to get you terminated. Everyone there hates it but have to stay there cause we need to make a living.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees. We are all human beings that need to make a living just like you. Show some integrity instead of being condescending.

4. "Scared to be fired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No lay-offs and corporate events

Cons

the company doesn't care about you or our needs. They want robot factory workers to put out half researched information.

Advice to Management

Change it....There are alot of superviors and managers in positions that do not suit. Some people will thrieve better in advocacy where some may thrieve better in the call center. Learn your people and train your associates instead of cutting corners

5. "Loan Processor II"

Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on the Loan Resolution side and we had a lot of perks. We frequently received catered meals for staying late or working on the weekends. Lots of prizes and gift cards for top performers. Great bonus opportunity.I was impressed in training when the leadership team introduced themselves to the new hires. This included meeting Tim. I had not seen that in prior jobs.

Cons

Very rapidly there were changes in the management team, and their leadership skills were awful. It became more like working for a prison instead of working for a great company. The motivation turned to harsh extremely difficult to achieve. Jobs were slowly being sent to India..

Advice to Management

I think their leadership team was too heavy and they lost track of their purpose. Their supervisors were unprofessional, and promotions were based on friendships instead of qualifications.

6. "Sps"

Former Employee - Document Control in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Document Control in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time

Pros

It's a job. Has competitive salary.

Cons

Hated it. Tried and tried to advance in my three years, but nobody would even follow through with me to have a meeting, as they kept promising. Management is awful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Train your employeesemployees. Follow through and consider new ideas.

7. "Feedback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much at this point with all the changes

Cons

Management is unapproachable , bonus is being cut, pto changes are incovinent at this point concentrations is more about the company benefits from employees

"Appreciation"

Pros

Great pay and great agents and coworkers

Cons

Management doesn't acknowledge and does not greet agents, micromanage, attendance policy beyond strict tardys and occurrences don't fall out till almost a year!

Advice to Management

Appreciate your agents, show them you care and appreciate the hard work and acknowledge the sacrifice it takes to deal with a stressful position

"Terrible culture, inadequate/inexperienced leadership"

Pros

*Nice, new building
    *Lots of training on both your job and the mortgage industry
    *Highly regarded company for mortgage servicing

Cons

*Poorly trained management. I found the managers and even senior leaders to be very inexperienced in leading people. Most of them had little experience outside of SPS, and so their knowledgebase was warped. They know a lot about the company and mortgage servicing, a little about the financial industry as a whole, and almost nothing about leading people.
    *Very negative, toxic environment. On more than one occasion, I personally heard management gossiping and mocking their employees behind their backs. Always with other leaders, always in "formal" report-out meetings.
    *Zero collaboration. Most groups don't collaborate or even like each other. There is a lot of back biting, snake-like behavior, and a ton of resentment between certain leaders.

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses and accept responsibility for the awful, toxic environment. Take everything you have and improve your leadership. Address the bad culture immediately and weed out the behavior that only breeds negativity. Fire leaders that don't reflect those values you pride yourself on.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well established company. Offers good compensation.

Cons

Limited opportunities. High levels of stress. Overworked employees and management.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees