Select Portfolio Servicing Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

Salt Lake City, UT

2.3
Tim O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent pay range for entry level (in 11 reviews)

• Decent company, good pay with okay benefits (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SPS is a great place to work. If you work hard you are rewarded. The sky is the limit if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Micromanaging occurs in the call center. But honestly I've not found a call center that does not micromanage.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize those who work hard and want to make a difference. Ensure all levels of management communicate clearly with employees.

2. "First Legal Specialist in the Foreclosure Department and Signer for the Company"

Current Employee - First Legal Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - First Legal Foreclosure Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Work is very interesting and the people have great work ethnics. The Management and HR are very helpful and jump to help whenever needed.

Cons

The pressure to compete with your own team members for Bonuses turns "Team members" against each other. The Team becomes every man for him self.

Advice to Management

Find a way to allow top performers to bonus, but to get the Team to work as a team.

"REO Asset Manager"

Former Employee - REO Asset Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - REO Asset Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m having a hard time with this.. I’d have to say that the Sr VP was a wealth of knowledge, but then you have to really try to get him to pay attention to your request for his time. Although normally a short fused traditional boss type, he would, on occasion, teach very well. I worked there a long time, and it was a really rough environment always. So, you might say I learned a lot.

Cons

Cons.. I don’t like to speak badly of my employers. SPS is in a league of its own in so many ways. Rough on it’s employees in that the expectations are not very reasonable and that breeds a generally unfriendly place to be. The managers say goofy things to employees like “Where are you going to go that pays more?” It’s silky, because SPS isn’t competitive anymore with pay. So, employees tend to feel slightly insecure until they check those statements out. And, then they leave afterwards. It was competitive pay in the part, but now it’s not and the workload is heavier (huge portfolios and th addition of the closers paperwork given to Asset Managers).

Advice to Management

I don’t have any, you are doing what you have to do to be profitable and still keep your individual ICP’s. You might want to stop the brow beating. That’s not helpful.

"Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with good managers and enjoyed my co-workers

Cons

Over time the company moved from an employee centric company to a profit motive company. The employees got left behind.

"A bad company in a criticized industry"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn, great people to work with, the work is interesting.

Cons

No way to sugarcoat it, this is a bad company. Benefits for a company this size are embarrassingly expensive and get worse every year. The executive management team is the worst I've ever seen. They come up with these yearly themes that everyone becomes numb to after 30 days. Its just added busy work. Most managers are inexperienced and lack the level of education you'd expect. People are promoted based on favoritism, all the way up to the executive management team. Avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism, especially based on looks (looking at you, COO). Promote based on merit. Recognize accomishmemts and show more loyalty to those who work hard for you.

"Miserable atmosphere"

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great, and it has to be because the job is awful and money is not worth your sanity/happiness

Cons

In the Loss mitigation/late stage collections department you will be yelled at by customers every single day, they will yell and scream and swear at you. This is the most frustrating job. On top of that management shows no appreciation for you and you constantly feel like you are in trouble or are going to be fired. Everyone Hates their job including management.

7. "Development"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They do not have amy positives.

Cons

Do not recommend this company

8. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome opportunity, lots of C-level exposure, staff were friendly and management had open door policy, tons to learn and grow.

Cons

Generally speaking, it is a healthy company with fun people. However, certain groups in the company are hard to work with.

Advice to Management

When conducting performance review for an individual or for a group, introduce peer review that will bring in fair and unbiased evaluation from co-worker and/or peer from other business unit.

9. "Painful to work there"

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, but with all these reputable companies moving to Salt Lake, they are going to have a hard time keeping quality employees.

Cons

Management is awful. You are never promoted based on what you know, but rather who you brown nose or sleep with. If you take your issues to HR, they will use it against you and find something to get you terminated. Everyone there hates it but have to stay there cause we need to make a living.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees. We are all human beings that need to make a living just like you. Show some integrity instead of being condescending.

10. "Loan Processor II"

Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Loan Processor II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on the Loan Resolution side and we had a lot of perks. We frequently received catered meals for staying late or working on the weekends. Lots of prizes and gift cards for top performers. Great bonus opportunity.I was impressed in training when the leadership team introduced themselves to the new hires. This included meeting Tim. I had not seen that in prior jobs.

Cons

Very rapidly there were changes in the management team, and their leadership skills were awful. It became more like working for a prison instead of working for a great company. The motivation turned to harsh extremely difficult to achieve. Jobs were slowly being sent to India..

Advice to Management

I think their leadership team was too heavy and they lost track of their purpose. Their supervisors were unprofessional, and promotions were based on friendships instead of qualifications.