Cover image for Select Specialty Hospitals

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "pay was good and fair(in 38 reviews)
  • "Nursing staff is great and I'm honestly surprised that some of them have been there for so long because they are not appreciated.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Good benefits(in 16 reviews)
  • "Great patients and coworkers.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Good people to work with(in 10 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management within the team and the hospital it self(in 35 reviews)
  • "With poor leadership as we know it trickles down throughout the staff.(in 11 reviews)
  • "long hours, always seemed like we were going through staff due to burn out.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Unsafe work environment.(in 6 reviews)
  • "CEO and CNO (S High St location) were very unprofessional and spoke very poorly about most employees.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Select Specialty Hospitals and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

good company

Oct 14, 2022 - Physical Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to work in different areas of PT, including woundcare and ICU and co-treat with other disciplines. Overall good company to work for.

Cons

outdated equipment for the rehab department

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Oct 25, 2022 - Nursing Assistant in Springfield, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been here for 2 years now and I love the patients. It is the hardest job I’ve ever had and I’ve been in the medical field for 7 years now. It’s a heavy patient load at times but all the CNAs and nurses do their best to help one another!

Cons

The “fall out rate” is high, but I think it’s because when people apply they really don’t know how hard of a job it is. The medical field is not for the faint of heart. We save lives..we don’t come to work to just sit around. You will SWEAT and work hard here for the good money they pay you!

3. Join the Select Specialty Hospitals team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Work here if you want to LEARN!

Oct 24, 2022 - Nurse Assistant in Mount Clemens, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gain skills in a unique and complex health setting. Choose your schedule (mostly). Competitive wages. Abundant supplies and resources.

Cons

Very large workload Improperly staffed. 8-10 CRITICALLY ILL patients per 1 nurse assistant. paper charting…..

5. 3.0

Good coworkers

Nov 16, 2022 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Erie, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees here in Select Erie are very nice, helpful. Max of 5-6 patient ratio for RN

Cons

there are more call off if low census

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Can be a hostile environment, unless you're in the right clique.

Jun 25, 2022 - RN Staff Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was good and I was fortunate to work with some very good nurses who were kind and friendly to the newer staff.

Cons

Some of the staff who'd been there for a bit of a long time, thought they knew EVERYTHING regardless of the level of experience of the other nurses or staff. Humility was not abundantly available. Also, and this was more difficult to handle and had a more direct impact on my experience there, was the unabashed almost hazing I'd endure with a select group of the support staff on the night shift. They didn't care for me (or perhaps decided I was new and gullible) and would simply slack off and not fulfill their job duties, leaving me to do them. The patients needed these things so of course my time management was horrific.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0

Case manager

Nov 16, 2022 - Case Manager in Augusta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gives opportunities for first time case manager

Cons

extremely ruthless money minded corporate. Will fire you in a heartbeat if the hospital is not getting patients.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

A great job

Aug 12, 2022 - Social Media
    Business Outlook

Pros

The therapy department was run well. At the Indianapolis location I had a wonderful boss, in fact she was the best manager I've ever had. She made sure the financials were in order and that the employees were caring well for their patients. She also did her best to recognize when you went above and beyond and did a good job of encouraging her employees.

Cons

Apparently the business side of things was not being run well because the two Select Specialty Hospitals that I worked for eventually closed.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great!

Oct 10, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are always willing to help.

Cons

Short-staff most of the times

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

More demanding than advertised

Sep 22, 2022 - Respiratory Therapy Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Critical illness recovery hospital with rehab services, patients around long enough to see improvement because of our interventions

Cons

The safety officer portion of the job can be difficult to handle.

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Never again

Sep 3, 2022 - Supply Chain Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

My manager wasn’t that bad. He showed me a lot which helped me now in my career.

Cons

The pay was horrible. They have this one line in there handbook under every job title “Any other job/ duties assigned.” Which means exactly that!! If they tell you to do something and you say it’s not in your job description they pull that last one quick! The company is also cut throat they will shut down quick without warning people, and tell the employees we will reassign you. Which they will but they will push the bonus package they offer back if they need the staff. For nurses and everything else the pay is great but the amount of work is not equal.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 447 Reviews
</>Embed

Select Specialty Hospitals Reviews FAQs

Select Specialty Hospitals has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 479 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at Select Specialty Hospitals to a friend and 54% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Select Specialty Hospitals employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Select Specialty Hospitals. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

52% of Select Specialty Hospitals employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Select Specialty Hospitals 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Select Specialty Hospitals to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Select Specialty Hospitals Job Seekers