KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Select Specialty Hospitals

Is this your company?

Select Specialty Hospitals

Add a Review

Select Specialty Hospitals Employee Reviews about "nurse"

Updated Aug 25, 2020

Found 11 of over 397 reviews

3.3
Select Specialty Hospitals President and CEO David S. Chernow
David S. Chernow
Pros
  • "Good pay, they strive for continual improvement(in 13 reviews)

• "Working as both a floor nurse and as part of the leadership team, I got to know so many of the staff members at Select(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Extremely demanding and usually short staffed(in 16 reviews)

• "The hospital treats their employees like they are disposable and there is a high turnover of staff(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Select Specialty Hospitals and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "nurse"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love my Select Specialty family!

Aug 25, 2020 - Staff RN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team work among fellow nurses is far better than anywhere I have ever worked! This could be because most nurses and nurse aides realize how complex our patient population can be, and you need each other to give the best care possible. I’ve worked at 2 Select Specialty hospitals and I can say the same for both places. Best group of people I’ve ever worked with!

Cons

I can’t really say it’s a con, but with the complex nature of LTACHs, patients acuities can change fast, but the criteria for which patient acuity is assigned isn’t always accurate and updated. Nurses generally have 4-6 patients with acuities ranging from 1 (least critical) to 4 (critical, most times requires 1:1 care)

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The Team Becomes Like Family

Aug 10, 2020 - Infection Control Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at Select become like family. Working as both a floor nurse and as part of the leadership team, I got to know so many of the staff members at Select. They work hard, and they put their all into their job in order to provide great care to the patients at Select. I am thankful for the experience I have received here! I also appreciate that the company is designed in a way that if you want to move up, you can. They also encourage continuing education for nurses.

Cons

It is a hard place to work. No matter what discipline you work, it'll be the hardest place you have worked which is why it is incredibly rewarding. I love challenges and I love being pushed to my limit. Everyday I come to work expecting to learn something new.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Learned more than expected

Jun 12, 2019 - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Grosse Pointe, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great training and team work throughout the Hospital. If I ever needed help whether a nurse, RT, environmental services, or PCT I’d always have a helping hand. Good management too!

Cons

We carried a phone and if you left the unit, even just down the hallway out of our area, phones didn’t work so you couldn’t go far without finding someone to take your phone

4. 1.0

There CNA ethnic background is 95% from a particular poor country=low wages

Aug 20, 2019 - Certified Nursing Assistant in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

When management get rid of the day house Supv. and her side kick the charge nurse people would start liking coming to work again.

Cons

they run the place on gossip, they write employees up just because they could and dress it up, to make it look like the employee did something wrong.

5. 1.0

Turnover Central

Sep 18, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful Respiratory and Rehab therapists! Wound care nurse is amazing, she seems to be able to heal anything. Very gifted and instinctive in care.

Cons

Administration cares nothing about staff. Hires all new graduate nurses to care for incredibly complex patients. Staff works short handed all the time creating dangerous staffing ratios. 2% raise. Smart nurses do not risk their licenses here. Poor PTO benefits. No Ins. Or PTO accrual until after 90 days, then you BEGIN to earn time. Hostile work environment created by Management and never addressed. Constant turnover, so many new people, it is nothing to have 60 people quit within a 3 month time span. No COMPUTER CHARTING!! ALL PAPER DOCUMENTATION!!! YES, IN 2015!!! Cheapest route always with this company...yet they call staff and offer nurses 10.00/hr. Bonuses to work extra shifts because they are so short staffed. Cannot even get enough agency to cover. RN’S having 4-5 ventilator patients with drips!!

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

RN

Feb 20, 2016 - Staff RN in Panama City, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very great team work with other staff, including RT and therapy. The patient to nurse ratios are the lowest of any place I have ever worked.

Cons

Stressful at times due to the high acuity of patients. We take care of ICU like patients on vent/ETT and critical gtts.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Over worked employees and unsafe for patients

Dec 24, 2014 - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a fairly new nurse I have learned a lot at Select Specialty Hospital. Co-workers are great and mostly everyone tries to work as a team. Charge nurses help out as much as they can. Some facilities are better than others.

Cons

Nurse to patient ratios are extremely high for the patient population cared for. Mandatory overtime occurs a lot due to understaffing and you are constantly calling you on your day off to come in. Due to understaffing most nurses work over their 12 hour shifts. High turnover for nurses and CNAs. Acuity isn't considered throughout select which leads to unsafe patient care.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

mandatory OT/bad management

Aug 17, 2015 - Registered Nurse in Evansville, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good money, learning experience. I learned alot as a fresh nurse. Very fast paced job if you like being under stress all the time

Cons

mandatory overtime, no time for breaks, unrealistic patient load. If you aren't a certain type of person, you won't fit in with the supervisors and will be treated badly.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Staff RN

Mar 21, 2017 - Staff RN in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative team atmosphere. Great clinical experience - can definitely learn a lot as a new nurse. The challenging work certainly helps with developing confidence and nursing skills.

Cons

Leadership and management, less than adequate HR administration, inconsistencies with practice and HR policies, staffing issues.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0

Ko

May 8, 2018 - Registered Nurse in Mount Clemens, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience, especially for new nurse.

Cons

Nurse to patient ratio often dangerous.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews