Selectica Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Stakenas
1 Rating

1. "Startup Feel in an Established Company with a Compelling Vision."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Years ago, Selectica experienced a loss of focus under previous management, which alienated high performers. Current management has turned around the malaise. For the most part, we have the right team in place (the deadwood has been asked to go), and an excitement level around the direction of the company which I'm told hasn't been present in years. Even better, the company is generous with employees and empowers people to make decisions.

Other reviewers have been critical of the new "first time" CEO, so I'll address this also. The CEO is a culture guy, and that's what the company needed. The environment is fun, hip and the company has brought on a number of sharp people in the last 6 months. People sometimes bring pets. Snacks and drinks are abundant, and table tennis tournaments are a mainstay at all times of the day. The work environment is (almost) entirely devoid of the usual B.S. political moves you'd find in other software companies (big and small). Moreover, I get the impression that everyone I interact with on a daily basis is talented and knows what he or she is doing.

More importantly, our CEO reorganized the company around a focused cloud solution, which seems pretty smart. Existing clients have personally told me they're excited about the new focused direction of the company. Everyone I've talked to in sales is fired up and is highly confident about exceeding targets.

For reference: I'm in sales (not sales management)

Cons

There's some work to do bringing up existing accounts to current versions, and challenges around shifting to an "all cloud" company. In other words, short term growing pains, which is a good "con" to have.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - Keep the culture fun and loose, and keep empowering people to make decisions. Also, keep an eye on overseas expansion into europe and asia-pac.

2. "Good product little promise."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- Great people (However most of them are long gone in the writing of this review)
    - Product is great (If implementation and practice are executed correctly)

Cons

- No perks (Boo. Seriously for tech company how do you expect to make people happy?)
    - No sense of a real 'Tech' office environment (Working remotely is great but having a cool fun office definitely makes people more productive and enjoy their experience)
    - Random promotions or advancement
    - No clear growth in career path
    - Teams were never really aligned
    - Engineering to Silo'd. Hard to interact with and/or get the proper information from

Advice to Management

- Fix the software rather than focusing on all the M&A
    - Base the road-map on real pain points from customers
    - Have in-house engineering
    - Have REAL perks to keep people happy, productive, and excited about Determine! Show some initiative to retain good talent. Being in Silicon Valley, that is a HUGE part of being a competitive company in the IT space

3. "Product Management"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, fantastic product, great work culture, you'll make lots of friends very quickly.

Cons

No sense of direction. Started successfully as a CPQ company, then tried a few tricks to simplify the admin interface instead of focusing on full function capabilities and every attempt failed. Bought a CLM company, great mid-market product but did not scale for enterprise customers. Company pivoted from CPQ to CLM, then tried to focus back on CPQ, and abandoned it again. Then bought a Procurement company and then a revenue management company. No idea where it's headed but somehow seems to survive in the market.

Advice to Management

Slow down, fix the big problems, stop rotating the c-level management every 2 years

"Spinning executive doors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full blown CLM system but seriously needed an update

Cons

Continued executive leadership revolving door. Efforts to keep revenue level has been done by acquiring companies that adds to year over year total revenue but actual core business is flat .

Advice to Management

Update core CLM with are-write.

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Medical benefit, work from home

Cons

loss making comapany, company had no focus

Advice to Management

Focus of growth

Dec 12, 2014 – HR/Accountant

Thank you. With our recent acquisition of strategic sourcing leader, Iasta, we are definitely increasing our focus on providing the best contract management and sourcing solutions on the planet! It ... More

7. "Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep."

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time with Selectica I learned a lot about Marketing, Lead Generation, Demand Generation, Sales, Business Development, Business Services, Professional Services, etc. I am thrilled to have Selectica on my resume and am forever thankful to the Rock Stars that asked me to participate in the development of their business as well as my own professional career.

Cons

Poor top level decision making made for a constant divergence in marketplace strategy and marketing messaging strategy. During my time with Selectica, I never really understood who we were as a Company. Unfortunately executive leadership churn was high casing constant consternation amongst the staff. Ultimately I got what I needed from Selectica and moved on to work in Sales at another organization and am thriving for my time spent with my team in Selectica.

Advice to Management

Upon submission of my 7 page brief/exit analysis of my time spent in Selectica I surmised that establishing realistic, well defined goals is the first step to righting the ship. The newest CEO is a great example of a true Leader with ambitious but pragmatic ideas and values. I expect only good things to come for Selectica as long as middle management can let Leadership lead!

Dec 12, 2014 – HR/Accountant

As you correctly indicated, prior to 18 months ago the company underwent a lot of change. Since then, in the last 12 months, the leadership team has been almost totally unchanged - except that we ... More

"Selectica has been exceptional for me and provides daily excitement in a very hot and growing market space."

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee can and is encouraged/empowered to be able to make a direct impact to the company both personally and professionally.

Cons

Great product, great customers, wonderfully engaged employees now just need to continue to grow with high quality resources to keep up with the pace.

Advice to Management

Keeping focus on the employees and the true key values the company has recently set forth upon.

Dec 15, 2014 – HR/Accountant

Thanks so much for your comments. Our new Employee Council is prioritizing merging the values of Selectica and Iasta (now that we have merged the companies). Luckily, our values are so close already ... More

"The Lazarus Effect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth, ground floor opportunities now, work/life balance, Management committed to, and focused on, big picture goals, company still a size where one person can make a big difference. Good location without the stress of the city, excellent benefits.

Cons

Company growing and changing at breakneck speed, good and bad. Can be stressful, but good if you like a challenge. Location not good for some people.

10. "Selectica is poised for great things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

New management team led by CEO Blaine Mathieu are confident, competent, focused and motivated. The company has taken solid steps over the last 8 months to get things back on track. Renewed focus on customer success, product innovation, and building a solid foundation for growth has been impressive. This is a place to work if you want to make an immediate impact while working with a great leadership team, a great staff and a great product suite.

Cons

Cleaning up the mistakes of the prior management team has taken some time. Most of the issues have been cleared up but there are a few more to work through. But there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’ve been doing. All indications are that we are on a path to great things

11. "Exceptional team, solutions, and vision!"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Selectica is an outstanding place to work and I'm fully committed, as a member of a diverse and talented team, to help drive success for our current and future customers. I left Oracle in February 2014 to join Selectica ... and have no doubt it was the right decision. We are doing incredible things with contract management and configuration solutions for many of the biggest and most successful brands in the world across industries.

Cons

I can not think of any "cons" ... simply put, the current team is doing all the right things.

Advice to Management

Keep up your exceptional leadership and execution.