Self Opportunity Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Self Opportunity President & CEO Sean Self
Sean Self

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company to start a recruiting career with if you have no experience (in 3 reviews)

• I design my own work hours and locations (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, long commute, terrible location (in 4 reviews)

• I have to work constantly, no benefits, paying taxes at the end of the year, no job security (in 4 reviews)

1. "did complete patient care ect.."

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Dawson Springs, Hopkins, KY
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Dawson Springs, Hopkins, KY

I worked at Self Opportunity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have always enjoyed working with elderly. I was raised to respect my elders. I love to listen to the stories they love to tell. I feel privileged to get to care for people toward the end of there life. I feel like i am the one that really benefits. I get to be their last best friend in many cases. I always take the love and wisdom they offer me with me.

Cons

It is heavy on ur heart loosing people u love again and again, but knowing they are with god and what i said above brings me comfort and drawing strength from my god keeps me going.

Advice to Management

The family i worked with on my last home health job were loving, welcoming, and supportive. They took care of arranging all other medical professional visits. They made sure i always had the supplies to care for their mother and grandmother properly. My only grievance is there should have been better communication. Also, unrealistic expectations on hours for one care taker.

2. "It's been a headache dealing with the management there"

Pros

I liked working with my co workers and some of the staff were great people

Cons

I would say the bias decisions management makes is so unprofessional and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and professional with your approach

3. "Plastics Maintenance Technician/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Industrial Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Industrial Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good and professional environment, team oriented company

Cons

Need a more stable job

4. "Psychotherapist"

Current Employee - Psychotherapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Psychotherapist in San Diego, CA

Pros

I am very self sufficient and have excellent self management and time skills. In addition I am very organized and I love working with people.

Cons

I don't like working alone.get frustrated when clients don't honor their sessions. I hate working on my own and stressing about income.

Advice to Management

I am at a point in my like where i need to be challenged and feel my work is helping other.

5. "buyer"

Former Employee - Buyer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing on this job is you are not overly supervised. You can work at your own pace and make money. The company is open to new advise from employees.

Cons

You always have to chase profits and seek best offers for better products. You can be isolated sometimes if you do not seek help. Because you work at your own pace one can lose sight of the bottom line which is buying the best product for the least money.

Advice to Management

Setup individual meetings to help new employees and nurture them into future buyers that can make good and sound conclusions. Put less emphasis on profit but training.

6. "Tile Installer"

Pros

My commentment and dedication to install perfect tiles, marbles, ect.

Cons

The let downs and the stress of continuely proving yourself your work and dedication .

Advice to Management

I'm very focused dedicated loyal hard working. And never give up.

7. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome Flexible schedule. Get to spend time with my children and can sign them up for awesome activities and fun stuff. Can work more hours to raise my pay.

Cons

I have to work constantly, no benefits, paying taxes at the end of the year, no job security. Going back and forth if a regular 9-5 job wouldn't be better.

Advice to Management

Need to diversify clients. Have too many eggs in one basket can be a disaster in the making. The client has less work can mean bills dont get paid.

8. "Good entry level recruiting position to get experience"

Pros

My overall experience at self was a good experience. The owner Sean is really down to earth the only CEO i know that will barbecue for his employees! The dress code is very relaxed and everybody there really treats each other like family. Great company to start a recruiting career with if you have no experience.

Cons

Compared to most recruiting positions the pay is pretty low. While you do have the opportunity to bonus the bonus structure is jankey and changes every other week. There was even times where someone would bonus and not receive the amount they were suppose to based on the bonus structure. If you have another opportunity do not give a 2 week notice or you will be asked to leave before your 2 weeks regardless of what your financial situation is at the time.

Advice to Management

For the most part keep up the good work. Try and control your emotions even when an employee pushes you to the point where you feel like going off. As unfair as it is you have to realize your a manager. As a manager you have to be 10X more professional then your employees at all times. No matter the situation. Try another method of motivation other then threatening jobs it creates a negative energy. Especially when people get laid off quite often. Other then that my manager was great he always has his employees back which is important when you are a third party recruiting company. Keep up the good work #theygonthinkiwonaGRAMMY!

9. "They do the right thing when it comes to their team members"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Self Opportunity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is great for both personal and professional growth opportunities.

Cons

It is hard to park and get into work

Advice to Management

hire more people with good package in which they feel happy to work there

10. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Self Opportunity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first it was great

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue. They play stupid games which doesn't include everyone.
    They have a draft based on numbers which always benefits the new people. Then they hired t to many people

Advice to Management

Worry about the sales people instead of coming up with stupid games to play