Self Opportunity Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Self Opportunity President & CEO Sean Self
Sean Self

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good - this is a good Company and is know for its results (in 5 reviews)

• Great family environment, good hours, flexible schedule (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, long commute, terrible location (in 4 reviews)

• I have to work constantly, no benefits, paying taxes at the end of the year, no job security (in 4 reviews)

1. "Intermediate Accountant"

Current Employee - Intermediate Accountant in Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
    Current Employee - Intermediate Accountant in Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)

I have been working at Self Opportunity full-time

Pros

Working with some of the very experienced PNG professionals, and also a dynamic team of professionals from whom you can learn a lot from.

Cons

Though guidance and trainings are provided, managers and seniors are reluctant in allocating technical and challenging tasks to juniors and intermediates.

Advice to Management

Junior staff should be given task that are technical skills in all facets of Accounting to check where theirs strength lie. these are the future of the organisation, and thus, if they are not trained well and skilled in the industry, they firm would find it hard to survive in today's competitive world.

2. "HORRIBLE!!I"

Current Employee - Courier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Courier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Earning small money.Not worth it.

Cons

Skip only cares for their own benefit!Staff or their costumer service are ARROGANT and NOT HELPFUL!

Advice to Management

Skip do not value their courier!They think they own the couriers for earning small money for delivering the food.You pay for your insurance,gas,plus the milage of your car.The cost of the maintenance of your car.Beside if you get accident on the road they don't give a damn about you.They are treating the couriers as their employees.They think they are paying your salary.Couriers earned it by delivering the food using their own car!
        They will deactivate your account if you get late for few timed an if you cancell your shift within 48 hours.They don"t value couriers hard work.HORRIBLE!!I t is not worth working for this company.VERY CHEAP!!

3. "Working for speechpad as a transcriber"

Current Employee - Transcriber in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Current Employee - Transcriber in Nairobi (Kenya)

I have been working at Self Opportunity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In order to get jobs one simply needs to do an exam for the jobs they would like to qualify for.

Cons

Sometimes there are few files to work on and at other times the files are a little too big, about 25 to 30 minutes.

4. "Plastics Maintenance Technician/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Industrial Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Industrial Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good and professional environment, team oriented company

Cons

Need a more stable job

5. "Psychotherapist"

Current Employee - Psychotherapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Psychotherapist in San Diego, CA

Pros

I am very self sufficient and have excellent self management and time skills. In addition I am very organized and I love working with people.

Cons

I don't like working alone.get frustrated when clients don't honor their sessions. I hate working on my own and stressing about income.

Advice to Management

I am at a point in my like where i need to be challenged and feel my work is helping other.

6. "buyer"

Former Employee - Buyer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing on this job is you are not overly supervised. You can work at your own pace and make money. The company is open to new advise from employees.

Cons

You always have to chase profits and seek best offers for better products. You can be isolated sometimes if you do not seek help. Because you work at your own pace one can lose sight of the bottom line which is buying the best product for the least money.

Advice to Management

Setup individual meetings to help new employees and nurture them into future buyers that can make good and sound conclusions. Put less emphasis on profit but training.

7. "did complete patient care ect.."

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Dawson Springs, Hopkins, KY
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Dawson Springs, Hopkins, KY

I worked at Self Opportunity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have always enjoyed working with elderly. I was raised to respect my elders. I love to listen to the stories they love to tell. I feel privileged to get to care for people toward the end of there life. I feel like i am the one that really benefits. I get to be their last best friend in many cases. I always take the love and wisdom they offer me with me.

Cons

It is heavy on ur heart loosing people u love again and again, but knowing they are with god and what i said above brings me comfort and drawing strength from my god keeps me going.

Advice to Management

The family i worked with on my last home health job were loving, welcoming, and supportive. They took care of arranging all other medical professional visits. They made sure i always had the supplies to care for their mother and grandmother properly. My only grievance is there should have been better communication. Also, unrealistic expectations on hours for one care taker.

8. "Tile Installer"

Pros

My commentment and dedication to install perfect tiles, marbles, ect.

Cons

The let downs and the stress of continuely proving yourself your work and dedication .

Advice to Management

I'm very focused dedicated loyal hard working. And never give up.

9. "AJ Brown"

Current Employee - Owner in Geelong (Australia)
    Current Employee - Owner in Geelong (Australia)

I have been working at Self Opportunity part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Design and experimenting, meeting people

Cons

long hours working late nights

Advice to Management

More Life

10. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Self Opportunity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome Flexible schedule. Get to spend time with my children and can sign them up for awesome activities and fun stuff. Can work more hours to raise my pay.

Cons

I have to work constantly, no benefits, paying taxes at the end of the year, no job security. Going back and forth if a regular 9-5 job wouldn't be better.

Advice to Management

Need to diversify clients. Have too many eggs in one basket can be a disaster in the making. The client has less work can mean bills dont get paid.