Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Investigator"

I have been working at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

easy agency to work for

Cons

pay scale does not match the median

2. "Comm Specialist"

I have been working at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time

Pros

Good environment, management seems to actually care about you.

Cons

Working for Seminole county's stupidest, most calls could easily be solved without police involvement; also too much of a "customer service" focus

3. "Out of Touch"

I have been working at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personal time off is flexible and benefits are somewhat competitive since they don't offer out of network coverage. Pension.

Cons

Salary is well below average for most position yet new equipment for deputies keep showing up every year.

Advice to Management

Re-think budget allocation otherwise employees are going to keep leaving for better opportunities.

4. "Top Law Enforcement Agency in Orlando"

Current Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has the most advanced technology and equipment compared to the surrounding agencies. Positive leadership and vast opportunities for growth.

Cons

All Law Enforcement personnel should be paid more for what they risk.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing by working hard to set the standard in Law Enforcement.

"Truly amazing!"

Pros

Regularly see the results first hand of my hard work helping the county I live in to be a safer place. As a company they are by far the most technologically advanced law enforcement entity in the state of florida. A very forward thinking company.

Cons

The only down side of working at this establishment is the negative attitude that any jobs employees have. Like any where, you get some bull headed individuals who rest change. Even when its for the better.

6. "Things change"

Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Sanford, FL

Pros

Great training and great equipment.

Cons

Poor management. They are completely out of touch with the personnel on the streets.

Advice to Management

Rethink who gets promoted and why.

7. "I am a vastly experienced teacher with fantastic ability to turn any child around!"

Former Employee - Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Services in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent corporate experience,office culture and lots more

Cons

Constant self development to be able to assert oneself on the job

"Promising opportunity turned sour..."

Pros

Salary is decent, but benefits/insurance package is expensive. Other than that, nothing much else to think of for this agency...

Cons

Corrections Department. I left an already decent career to join what I thought was a promising opportunity. I was dead wrong. Department bad mouths other agencies but hides their own problems such as dishonest employees. Unprofessional. Spent two days in orientation hearing upper management promoting "change" needed.They specified that we, the new employees, are the change to wipe out the negativity in the facility. If they are the best agency to work for, what's with all of this "change" needed for? Why are they continuously hiring for such a small facility? They are not growing anymore and promotions are slow. This is just another jail, not a better jail that they claim. They are just different, but definitely not better. Worst career change and decision I have ever made. God awful...

Advice to Management

Upper management wants change, but lower management does not. Lower management runs the show here. Period.

9. "Deputy Sheriff"

Former Employee - Deputy Sheriff in Sanford, FL

Pros

Great benefits package, high morale

Cons

Pay is not as good as being a cop can be, but it is on par within Central Florida. You would have to move to south Florida or Tampa area to make high end of potential pay.

Advice to Management

Great leadership, management very approachable and friendly

"If you like to be browbeat, harassed, demeaned and made to feel incompetent, this is the place for you."

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time

Pros

Health benefits are on par with other government agencies

Cons

The Corrections facility at SCSO allows racism and discrimination to run unchecked, even after bringing it to their attention. Myself being the target of this during my employment there, I have never felt so abused in my career. There is a fear that runs amongst the employees in the facility that everyone speaks under their breath and behind their hand when voicing any criticism of the powers that be. It is very sad how many people have spoken to me about their own dislike of this problem, but fear for their job should they try to do anything about it by actually saying something. Very depressing environment indeed. It just isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Get real about the situation there, or end up getting sued for discrimination.