Sempra Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Sempra Energy Reviews

1.0
Sempra Energy CEO Debra Reed
Debra Reed

Pros
  • Wonderful working atmosphere with good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• SE is one of 2 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in San Diego (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, depending on the area you're in (in 5 reviews)

• Much of the technology is not cutting edge (in 3 reviews)

"Dead-End"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sempra Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I can't really think of any, except that everyone is in the same boat

Cons

They treat employees and contractors alike with utter disrespect here. I've never worked for a company quite like this. If you are offered a job by an agency or you are interested in this company yourself, think again! RUN! THE OTHER WAY !!!!
    It's a hierarchy-matrixed organization full of outdated bureaucratic principles, created by a culture that doesn't take risks and that doesn't like change. Most people are retirement-age and as a result are coasting their way through work.
    People back-stab all the time and no one wants to take responsibility for problems or issues that arise.
    As such, people wind up chasing their tail and feel like they are to blame for issues, when they aren't the reason why something happened in the first place. It really is madness to me how people stay in this type of unhealthy environment.
    Overall, this company should be ashamed of themselves

Advice to Management

There is no management style here (worth talking about), so my advice is to put some management principles into place - walk the talk, transparency, make yourselves accountable for things, don't play favorites, the list is endless really.

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Journeyman Lineman in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Journeyman Lineman in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sempra Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good steady job 7:00-3:30. Women are making a dent in the "Good old boy's club". The gas entity of Sempra shuold continue to do well.

Cons

A long history of racism against African American employee's. HR policies haven't been revised since the early 90's. Very top heavy in District Management. Not a bright future on the electric side of the company. The Electric side (SDG&E) could be sold or contracted out and the company will still do fine, because Natural Gas is about to take off nation wide.

Advice to Management

They should enforce what few antiquated HR policies that they have. Communication between the 9 plus districts nonexistent. Their ran like their all different companies.

"The motivated need not apply."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

This is a place where people come to die. If you just want a steady paycheck until the day you retire, then this is the place to be.

Cons

1. When I started here in 2006, my new fellow employees made a big deal out of the fact that I have a college degree. Need I say more about the people who work here?
    2. Also, it's a rarity to find a colleague that can speak proper English.
    3. All anyone here can think about is the day they retire.
    4. Hard work, intelligence, and drive is looked upon as a threat and is immediately discouraged.
    5. Since this company is government regulated, the work ethics and culture is identical to that of city workers'.
    6. Working with people who should've been fired a long time ago.

Advice to Management

Nothing. I assume this is exactly how they want it to be.