Sempra Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Sempra Energy Reviews

Updated February 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Wonderful working atmosphere with good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• SE is one of 2 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in San Diego (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, depending on the area you're in (in 5 reviews)

• Much of the technology is not cutting edge (in 3 reviews)

"Excellent Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Operantions Management in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Operantions Management in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance, executive leadership, work autonomy, meaningful work.

Cons

No clear career direction, workplace resources hard to find. diversity issues.

"Solar Operator"

Pros

Excellent treatment of all employees.

Cons

No cons that I can currently think of!

"Assistant"

Pros

Fortune 500 company. Good compensation and benefits; very strong for the San Diego market, which is typically small to mid-size businesses

Cons

Support for training and career path almost non-existent and is dependent on the department you work in or supervisor. Same for work/life balance. Politics and red tape abound. IT systems and support is behind the times.

Advice to Management

See comments in cons

"Job"

Former Employee - Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nice people great corporate wellness programs great long term job opportunities great location

Cons

They were working in improving procedures but there were some antiquated procedures that needed to be revisited.

Advice to Management

They should hire more people for specific position s to ease the workload

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance at Sempra is great. Also, HQ location is located downtown in a great location right next to Petco Park.

Cons

The company does not have a formal training program which makes it difficult to build the necessary skills to succeed at your job.

Advice to Management

The company should have a program in place that identifies leaders and develops leadership skills early on in the employees career.

"One of the best places to work in San Diego"

I have been working at Sempra Energy full-time

Pros

There is a very competent executive management team in place. Once people land a job at Sempra they seem to stay here at the company for a long time. The compensation is commensurate with that of a large public company and the benefits are great. Also, the location of the new building next to Petco Park in the East Village downtown can't be beat.

Cons

I would say the workforce here is a little older and less ambitious than companies I've worked for in the past. Not sure if that's a function of employees being tenured so long here. Also, promotions are less common than other companies but is ok since the compensation is more than fair.

Advice to Management

Open the company up to more external candidates instead of focusing on internal candidates.

"lead project manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Work-life balance was good. Seemed to be consistent across the company. Stock was steady and revenues solid year after year.

Cons

Internal politics made it uncomfortable

Advice to Management

Pay attention to each department....dive deeper. Not all groups are run the same in the company. Need consistency in management, retention, and employee treatment.

"Manager"

I have been working at Sempra Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with a strong track record of success and a great plan for the future. Strong leadership that communicates vision and mission well.

Cons

Moving up can be a struggle. There is a growing sentiment that in order to move up, you need to move out.

10. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and the support and training I received has help my career. I was able to take on more responsibilities.

Cons

It's a big company where who you have lunch with or play golf with really matters. Sometime the best person for the job gets passed over.

Advice to Management

Stop being so political with promotions. Some of us don't play golf. The pay could be better. There are other employers in the area who pay more.

"Great company and great people to work with!"

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with Sempra Energy on a one-year contract assignment through an agency. I was an Administrative Associate; I loved the position and the people I supported (Director, Engineers and Project Managers) were great! There is a cafeteria in the building with good food and also there are eateries all around the downtown area. The only reason I'm not still working with Sempra is because of the stupid test that you have to pass in order to be hired on as a permanent employee. The test has nothing to do with what your job duties entails. Everyone loved my work performance! I was very success in the role, but you must past the Battery test.

Cons

You have to take and pass a Battery test after being with the company for a year that has nothing to do with your daily administrative duties.

Advice to Management

A Battery test should not determine if you're qualified for a position or not and especially if you have being performing at a high level for a year and the entire department is truly happy with your work performance. A test should be taken when first coming aboard and it shouldn't be a battery test it should test the skills that you use daily (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint). You are losing great employees because of a stupid test that has nothing to do with your daily job duties. I believe upper management should reevaluate this process.