SendGrid Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 15 Nov 2019

4.6
SendGrid CEO Sameer Dholakia
Sameer Dholakia
  1. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

The focus around culture is real. People treat each other well and always try to enjoy working with each other. Being able to feel comfortable with your peers allows for a much better/more productive work environment. The quality of the people who work here is very impressive. Plus, amazing perks.

Cons

No cons come to mind. Normal growing pains with lots of change happening.

SendGrid2018-11-29
  2. "What a great place to work!"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

From the hiring experience, to the onboarding, to the job itself, everything has been amazing. This is truly a company that cares about its employees. Great benefits, pay, people, and product. The perfect combination!

Cons

With the upcoming Twilio acquisition, the future for certain groups is a bit unclear.

Advice to Management

Make sure not to lose what made SendGrid so great with the upcoming acquisition.

SendGrid2018-10-20
  3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

I've been at SendGrid for a few months and am so happy with my choice. Great colleagues and a really unique culture for a bay area company. We're growing and have ambitious goals, so there are a lot of opportunities for impact.

Cons

Email marketing is a crowded industry

SendGrid2018-10-12

"Awesome place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with are great. Highly skilled, hard working, good at what they do. SendGrid’s value system is built on four H-words—characteristics that every employee is expected to possess and display. The Four H’s are Happy, Hungry, Humble and Honest. Although all four values are important, humility is the company’s most distinctive characteristic. Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that... rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

No cons found yet for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work.

SendGrid2018-09-18

"Challenging, Rewarding, Inclusive #Happy"

Current Employee - Associate Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to begin? The people are nice, management is incredibly supportive, executive leadership team is visible and accountable, the food is great, work is fun, office is beautiful, and so much more. Everyday spent here feels like an opportunity to learn, grow, meet new people, and does not feel like a typical 9-5 grind. I can't see myself anywhere else and I am so grateful to be a part of this organization.

Cons

More transparency for internal promotions and cross-departmental opportunities

SendGrid2018-08-23
  6. "Love This Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's rare to work at a place that really, truly cares about each one of the humans that come to work every day but SendGrid is one of those places. We're not perfect but I've found us to be a place where people are honest about what's not perfect (Honest H) and then they work hard to solve the issue. People are genuinely nice. We have amazing office space and lots of perks but I'd work here without them since they... are not what makes this place so special. Our CEO and exec team give me confidence and make me feel like I make a difference. Don't want to work anywhere else!

Cons

It's not perfect here. We have growing pains that come with going through an IPO, adding more and more people to the team, and having systems that we've outgrown and need to be updated. Lots for us to do!

Advice to Management

Keep caring, invest in systems that will make our jobs easier, and stay true to our 4Hs. They work!

SendGrid2018-08-16
  7. "Culture is not just a set of buzzwords"

Current Employee - Director, Engineering in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every company you consider joining has a web page that highlights why they have a great culture. At SendGrid, they actually mean it. The culture is built into and ingrained in the fabric of getting work done and respecting those you work with. The work is interesting and fast paced. Engineering teams are focused on the latest technologies and there are clear business priorities against which to work on that move... the company forward. Executive leadership focuses on the long picture and making appropriate strategic plans that provide a long-term vision for growth for the company.

Cons

The company IPO-d last year and is going through the growing pains shifting from startup to small private company, to public company. The company is poised to continue to grow and there will naturally be growing pains as part of that process. Someone who like stability and no change would not thrive in the environment. That said, it's not chaotic, but you have to be comfortable with a growth mindset.

Advice to Management

Communication is frequent and employees feel in the know. Advice to the ELT would be to be a bit tougher on messaging and where growth will be difficult and not to coddle employees.

SendGrid2018-08-15

"High Growth Company comes with Opportunity and Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Culture still remains strong even with the IPO and lots of shifts in how we operate as a company. Phenomenal coworkers. Great benefits and office space. Great work/life balance.

Cons

With high growth comes frequent change, which often takes the form of added processes, which can feel cumbersome and detrimental to fast progress. Communication becomes more difficult the larger the organization gets, and miscommunication can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the people. Make sure key stakeholders are informed even at the IC level before announcing decisions across the organization. Do everything you can to retain those that are really making a positive impact, as that passion to make a difference also often comes with little patience for frustration and roadblocks.

SendGrid2018-08-07
  9. "Support engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture. Great work life balance.

Cons

Starting salary for support is on the low end.

SendGrid2018-07-17

"Don't believe all the 4H Hype"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunches, cell phone and fitness perks

Cons

Senior managers don't know how to measure or manage performance, especially with remote employees. Performance ratings are made by soliciting feedback from peers and in the case of managers, their direct reports. Since the people giving the feedback have only a small context of the responsibilities of the person they are given feedback on, this creates negative perceptions and unjust performance ratings. The... culture in the office seem very cliquish and not very welcoming to employees that have a quiet demeanor.

Advice to Management

Be inclusive of all personality types, not just extroverts. Stop the skip level 1:1's. They are damaging. Know your employees so you don't have to solicit feedback from their peers and reports.

SendGrid2018-06-26