SendGrid Reviews | Glassdoor

SendGrid CEO Sameer Dholakia
Sameer Dholakia

"Great tech company"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Awesome ELT, amazing perks and benefits

Cons

Some people don’t realize how good they have it.

Advice to Management

All leaders need to start/continue to have servant leadership mindset.

SendGrid2018-05-11
  2. "Review !"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Everybody here really believes in the 4H culture that makes SendGrid what it is, and I LOVE IT!

Cons

Leaving the office to go home!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

SendGrid2018-05-02

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, perks, environment, and challenges

Cons

Some technical and organizational challenges due to the company's rapid growth

SendGrid2018-04-17
  4. "Amazing Company, Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone here truly cares about each other, the customers, the business and the culture. Working environment is flexible, creating the ability to have a great work-life balance. Benefits are amazing: - Excellent health care plans - Personalized (“Unlimited”) time off - Free lunch every day - Plenty of snacks (both healthy and unhealthy) in the kitchen - 5 weeks of parental leave - Stock/equity grants.... And let’s not forget about the company-wide annual kick-off retreat. Who doesn’t like a few days at an all-inclusive resort? Challenging projects — you won’t get bored.

Cons

SendGrid went public about 5 months ago. This has introduced some interesting changes that have been necessary. SendGrid’s “Honest H” even extended to the nitty gritty details of how the company was doing financially — at least while we were private. Now it’s a different story, out of legal necessity — which you can tell is difficult for the leadership. They don’t like to keep people in the dark. It’s not so... much a “con” as it is a “growing pain”. Like all companies, there are struggles — be it too much to do in too little time, or with too few people — or turnover due to major changes (going public) — or just not having all the necessary skills on the team. But again, you see this everywhere. SendGrid is no different in this regard.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, it sets us apart from other companies. As much as being public requires you to focus on the numbers, don’t forget that focusing only on the numbers will fail you. Ensure that your employees are happy and that you’re meeting/exceeding the needs and expectations of your customers — the numbers will follow. It’s how SendGrid got where it is today — don’t let Wall Street force us change what isn’t... broken.

SendGrid2018-04-10

"The People, The Leadership, The Culture = 5 Star!"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are amazing, they are the core of who we are, they stand by the culture of the 4H! The Leadership demonstrates and executives in a large vision and drives everyone with Humility!

Cons

As any other organization - when you scale you get a little more red tape, not bad, but makes you realize process and sometimes it's needed!

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people, the right people at the right time! One of the most unique cultures and sets of folks in one place!

SendGrid2018-04-03
  6. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hiring for, and living our 4H (Happy, Hungry, Honest, Humble) Culture is paramount at SendGrid, followed closely by the feeling of doing our best work and helping make our customers successful. It's not just something we say and not do/live by. Add to this, a CEO who believes whole-heartedly in the philosophy of "servant leadership, and you end up with an environment that is both exhilarating and empowering to work... within. Best perks (matching 401k, Employee incentive stock options, free snacks & lunch every day, parking/commuter reimbursement, cell phone and wellness allowance, etc). Also, we offer tuition reimbursement and free online courses to help further our knowledge/career. Cool product - we help make companies of all sizes, start-up to enterprise, successful by doing the heavy lifting as far as their transactional and marketing email programs.

Cons

I've heard it can be difficult to feel included as a new employee but I think this is due to the fact that there is so little turnover. Maybe it is intimidating coming into most groups that have a bevy of 3-5 year tightly knit veterans?

Advice to Management

Keep trying to maintain the feeling of family. Its gotten harder as we've grown to over 400 employees, but I think you're doing a great job! Don't let up!

SendGrid2018-04-02

"Not as cool as you think"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Nice coworkers Exceptional Executive Team

Cons

Engineering SDLC is worse than most companies. Managers are too much into metrics and shipping fast, and this promotes bad behavior, they often lose sight of bigger picture and push employees to deploy low quality code. Deployment is a mess and there's no parity between environments if you are lucky to have a development or staging environment at all. It's ironic that a company with dedicated devops team can't... have a consistent devops story.

Advice to Management

It's great to be data-driven but be aware of ways teams game the system with false positives.

SendGrid2018-03-13
  8. "Good place, lots of smart people but lots of meetings and politics"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orange, CA

I worked at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very well taken care of. Fun people to work with. Free food. Sable job. 4h culture is amazing. I loved coming in everyday. I honestly think being in a different role I would have done well there.

Cons

Lots of politics and overhead that gets in the way of getting actual code done. Managers tend to throw you under the bus.

Advice to Management

Less management more doing.

SendGrid2018-03-13
  9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture Amazing Benefits Awesome People I love working here. The executive team seems to really care about people, and they provide great opportunity for advancement. The free lunch and free beer don't hurt, either.

Cons

I've heard that the experience can vary between departments. Some do not have as much room for growth as others. And some managers have better reputations than others, but you will find that anywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people and culture. That is why people stay, because of their teams and coworkers. It's difficult to maintain culture with growth, but so far you have been doing a good job.

SendGrid2018-02-16
  10. "Good To Grow"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Benefits, and People

Cons

Growing has is downturn which leads unneeded processes and politics

SendGrid2018-02-09