SendGrid Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

SendGrid CEO Sameer Dholakia
Sameer Dholakia

"best decision"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

awesome work culture latest tech - aws, golang, snowflake vocal and open work place free food tons of snacks powerhouse in denver

Cons

Salary may need adjustment Not big brand name in bay area

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the awesome work.

SendGrid2019-02-13

"Mostly good so far but..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

- Great offices - Great culture & values - Awesome perks - Stock performance is outstanding - Rewarded for good performance - I love my teammates - Lots of opportunities to learn, challenge, and grow. Interesting work. - Processes are good - Sameer & Craig are great It might be the best decision of my career so far, but for all the good being said, some issues have come up.

Cons

Politics and disingenuity are on the rise. It's often said that the cultural value we're the worst at is the Honest H. Time and time again leadership says to be more honest. But when we give fair, direct feedback to leadership, people get political, then we're commended to our faces and called bellyachers behind our backs. It's incredibly disingenuous and feels like we're only going downhill from here.

Advice to Management

There was a war story of leadership not wanting to dismiss an engineering manager even when engineers were escalating the issue. Leadership said they made a mistake of not letting him go before all the engineers decided to leave the company. Please do not make that mistake again. I didn't leave one political company to join another and really disappointed we're going in that direction. The more political it... becomes, the less we're going to be engaged. Please be honest/genuine, practice what you preach, and also only hire honest/genuine leaders.

SendGrid2019-06-13

"Great potential but disorganized"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Irvine, CA

I worked at SendGrid for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people. Great learning experience. Catered lunches, stocked kitchens, and other office perks. Some amount of freedom to choose and shape projects.

Cons

Disorganized, not only did I not have an orientation due to errors my manager was out for couple weeks right when I joined. The projects were not clearly defined and work came in on the go with low expectations which was then turned around as my incompetence.

Advice to Management

Have a clear plan for the interns from day one, if not, at least let them know about their options, check in with them often and maybe expect a little more from them so as to help them grow. Be transparent with them about the process and don't leave them hanging in the last week.

SendGrid2019-01-19

"High Growth Company comes with Opportunity and Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Culture still remains strong even with the IPO and lots of shifts in how we operate as a company. Phenomenal coworkers. Great benefits and office space. Great work/life balance.

Cons

With high growth comes frequent change, which often takes the form of added processes, which can feel cumbersome and detrimental to fast progress. Communication becomes more difficult the larger the organization gets, and miscommunication can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the people. Make sure key stakeholders are informed even at the IC level before announcing decisions across the organization. Do everything you can to retain those that are really making a positive impact, as that passion to make a difference also often comes with little patience for frustration and roadblocks.

SendGrid2018-08-07

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, perks, environment, and challenges

Cons

Some technical and organizational challenges due to the company's rapid growth

SendGrid2018-04-17

"Not as cool as you think"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Nice coworkers Exceptional Executive Team

Cons

Engineering SDLC is worse than most companies. Managers are too much into metrics and shipping fast, and this promotes bad behavior, they often lose sight of bigger picture and push employees to deploy low quality code. Deployment is a mess and there's no parity between environments if you are lucky to have a development or staging environment at all. It's ironic that a company with dedicated devops team can't... have a consistent devops story.

Advice to Management

It's great to be data-driven but be aware of ways teams game the system with false positives.

SendGrid2018-03-13
  7. "Good place, lots of smart people but lots of meetings and politics"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orange, CA

I worked at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very well taken care of. Fun people to work with. Free food. Sable job. 4h culture is amazing. I loved coming in everyday. I honestly think being in a different role I would have done well there.

Cons

Lots of politics and overhead that gets in the way of getting actual code done. Managers tend to throw you under the bus.

Advice to Management

Less management more doing.

SendGrid2018-03-13
  8. "Software Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Denver, CO

I worked at SendGrid for more than a year

Pros

Awesome growing company, great team, good atmosphere.

Cons

Could have had more intern social events. The internship program didn't feel very organized or planned out which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

SendGrid2017-09-19

"Hands down the best place I've worked"

Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at SendGrid for more than 3 years

Pros

Hiring people with the 4H mentality makes it much easier to ensure we're all mature enough to get along even when things go badly. Lots and lots of perks at the company.

Cons

Management layers weren't really in place very strongly when I worked there though it was much better by the time I left. This caused a ton of changes (mostly process) while management figured out what to do, but it showed they cared about the employees to do so. But it was pretty jarring for engineers for a while. Much better now I think.

SendGrid2017-07-02
  10. "Culture holds true as SendGrid grows and matures"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, 4 H's are a core part of the company. Engaging engineering challenges due to scale. Promising growth and company trajectory. Servant leadership mentality from our executives and managers is motivating and true to Humble H. Great perks like free lunch with a growing variety of options, snacks on snacks, many different stipends, and increasing clarity around role definition and career growth... opportunities. Company is very in tune with feedback and makes real effort to change and grow.

Cons

Many of our systems and processes in engineering can be frustrating to use for a multitude of reasons. Product organization stuck in an awkward limbo between waterfall and agile that makes planning stressful and rushed. On call cuts into personal life outside of work, although it's getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback and continuing to make change. No one expects perfection from a company, but continuing to work towards improving and being better is incredibly engaging as an employee.

SendGrid2017-07-02