SendGrid "great culture" Reviews | Glassdoor

SendGrid Employee Reviews about "great culture"

Updated Nov 15, 2019

4.6
SendGrid CEO Sameer Dholakia
Sameer Dholakia
Pros
  • "Every company you consider joining has a web page that highlights why they have a great culture(in 12 reviews)

• "Working environment is flexible, creating the ability to have a great work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains consistent across all companies that grow rapidly(in 19 reviews)

• "Growing fast means growing pains(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "great culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Culture is not just a set of buzzwords"

Current Employee - Director, Engineering in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every company you consider joining has a web page that highlights why they have a great culture. At SendGrid, they actually mean it. The culture is built into and ingrained in the fabric of getting work done and respecting those you work with. The work is interesting and fast paced. Engineering teams are focused on the latest technologies and there are clear business priorities against which to work on that move... the company forward. Executive leadership focuses on the long picture and making appropriate strategic plans that provide a long-term vision for growth for the company.

Cons

The company IPO-d last year and is going through the growing pains shifting from startup to small private company, to public company. The company is poised to continue to grow and there will naturally be growing pains as part of that process. Someone who like stability and no change would not thrive in the environment. That said, it's not chaotic, but you have to be comfortable with a growth mindset.

Advice to Management

Communication is frequent and employees feel in the know. Advice to the ELT would be to be a bit tougher on messaging and where growth will be difficult and not to coddle employees.

SendGrid2018-08-15
  2. "Great Company in Denver"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great culture and fantastic people.

Cons

Expectations for work can be unrealistic.

SendGrid2019-11-15

"Mostly good so far but..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

- Great offices - Great culture & values - Awesome perks - Stock performance is outstanding - Rewarded for good performance - I love my teammates - Lots of opportunities to learn, challenge, and grow. Interesting work. - Processes are good - Sameer & Craig are great It might be the best decision of my career so far, but for all the good being said, some issues have come up.

Cons

Politics and disingenuity are on the rise. It's often said that the cultural value we're the worst at is the Honest H. Time and time again leadership says to be more honest. But when we give fair, direct feedback to leadership, people get political, then we're commended to our faces and called bellyachers behind our backs. It's incredibly disingenuous and feels like we're only going downhill from here.

Advice to Management

There was a war story of leadership not wanting to dismiss an engineering manager even when engineers were escalating the issue. Leadership said they made a mistake of not letting him go before all the engineers decided to leave the company. Please do not make that mistake again. I didn't leave one political company to join another and really disappointed we're going in that direction. The more political it... becomes, the less we're going to be engaged. Please be honest/genuine, practice what you preach, and also only hire honest/genuine leaders.

SendGrid2019-06-13
  4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture Amazing Benefits Awesome People I love working here. The executive team seems to really care about people, and they provide great opportunity for advancement. The free lunch and free beer don't hurt, either.

Cons

I've heard that the experience can vary between departments. Some do not have as much room for growth as others. And some managers have better reputations than others, but you will find that anywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people and culture. That is why people stay, because of their teams and coworkers. It's difficult to maintain culture with growth, but so far you have been doing a good job.

SendGrid2018-02-16
  5. "Good To Grow"

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Benefits, and People

Cons

Growing has is downturn which leads unneeded processes and politics

SendGrid2018-02-09
  6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at SendGrid

Pros

- Great Culture - Great People - Lots of Opportunities - Competitive Pay

Cons

- Lack of Mentorship - Kitchen Temptations

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

SendGrid2017-09-01
  7. "Culture holds true as SendGrid grows and matures"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, 4 H's are a core part of the company. Engaging engineering challenges due to scale. Promising growth and company trajectory. Servant leadership mentality from our executives and managers is motivating and true to Humble H. Great perks like free lunch with a growing variety of options, snacks on snacks, many different stipends, and increasing clarity around role definition and career growth... opportunities. Company is very in tune with feedback and makes real effort to change and grow.

Cons

Many of our systems and processes in engineering can be frustrating to use for a multitude of reasons. Product organization stuck in an awkward limbo between waterfall and agile that makes planning stressful and rushed. On call cuts into personal life outside of work, although it's getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback and continuing to make change. No one expects perfection from a company, but continuing to work towards improving and being better is incredibly engaging as an employee.

SendGrid2017-07-02
  8. "Really great place to work!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. Everybody is extremely happy to be here. Excellent perks and benefits. Very interesting tech stack. A large amount of interesting challenges.

Cons

Some of the systems in our tech stack are a little outdated. We're working on replacing them, but it can be challenging.

SendGrid2017-06-05
  9. "Decent place to work at"

Software Engineer in Ark, MO

I worked at SendGrid

Pros

Great culture and work environment

Cons

Haven't really found one so far

SendGrid2016-11-29

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Head of Business Development in Boulder, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Great culture, Awesome product, Very smart motivated co-workers. Great collaborative environment. Always looking to improve themselves and make a statement in the tech world.

Cons

Very unstable sales dept. Lots of moving parts with no real pathway to success. Very cliquey atmosphere at time. A good majority of the earlier employees have moved on. Seems to becoming more of a corporate feel as they move to the future.

Advice to Management

Please become more involved in the day to day ops of your company. Listen to the employees that are working hard for your success.

SendGrid2016-03-02