Sendero Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sendero Founder and Managing Partner Bret Farrar
Bret Farrar

Pros
  • Great work life balance at Sendero (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management maintains an open door policy that is inviting and never pretentious (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • A few growing pains as the company expands rapidly (in 16 reviews)

• The pay isn't as much as you'll make at bigger consulting firms, but I've found that the work-life balance is well worth it (in 8 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing people
    - Great culture
    - Leadership goes above and beyond
    - Growth potential
    - Employee focused
    - Good reputation

Cons

Opportunities:
    - Improve formal training
    - Maintain track of the consultants that are constantly driving +45 mins to a client's site, and rotate each individual to projects that require this level of driving

Advice to Management

Refer to opportunities (Cons).

Apr 17, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're so glad you've experienced that pros that you shared in your first year with us. We will continue to be employee focused so that the other elements ... More

2. "Challenging Work with Supportive Leaders"

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sendero is an extremely supportive yet challenging environment. I enjoy getting experience at multiple clients, with the support of a consulting firm helping me obtain the necessary information to succeed. The fact that it's a small company also allows each employee to get a lot of hands on experience.

Cons

As we rapidly grow, it's difficult to assess what traditions are part of the culture, and what we have outgrown, but our leadership actively works on this issue.

Mar 8, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear that the experiences you've had the opportunity to work on have been challenging but fulfilling. We welcome your feedback as we continue to grow. We want to ... More

3. "Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about this company is its people. The individuals I work with are talented, incredibly bright, trustworthy, and fun. They host a variety of team building events. Most importantly, the client work I have been engaged in have all been highly rewarding. The work is fun and challenging. I appreciate the Career Advisor program where each employee is paired with a Career Advisor who not only helps with career development plans, but also serves as a support system, and mentor throughout your tenure at Sendero.

Cons

As any growing company, there are opportunities with 401k plan and wish there was an option to invest in index funds.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent and keeping people, client, and community first!

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks so much for the review. We appreciate everything you do and bring to our team! As we continue to grow, we will be able to offer even more flexibility and options with our benefits. Keep ... More

5. "Great Culture, Great People, Great Company"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

- Ability to make an immediate and significant impact, regardless of position or level or experience

- Locally focused work in both DFW and Houston

- Incredible attention to growth and development, both professionally and personally

- Access to leadership and key decision makers

- Inspiring and rewarding company culture

- Incredible people

Cons

- Small firm, therefore limited by textbook small roadblocks (Limited recruiting resources, smaller starting salary, etc.)

- Lack of professional degree reimbursement program

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the profound emphasis on development of personnel in accordance with the firm's culture, push toward an established presence in new Texas markets, and strive to achieve manageable growth across all aspects of the company.

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for the review! As we continue to grow, our resources and flexibility with benefits will continue to grow as well. That being said, we do not require our employees to obtain advanced ... More

6. "Great people and a company that cares about looking after them!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sendero is a place that genuinely cares about its people. It sounds like a gimmick that they tell you during recruiting and initially I was expecting the hammer to drop and that eventually the act would be given up. However, everything that I have seen has only reinforced what Sendero has been saying all along. They truly care for their people and they demonstrate this in the initiatives they undertake and where they place value within the company.
    I have also found that Sendero has provided me with an environment that is conducive for personal and professional growth. I am constantly challenged and have ample opportunity to expand my learning and involvement when desired. With collaborative teams and challenging work, I feel that I have been given the necessary support and opportunity to progress my career. Sendero also encourages involvement across multiple areas within the company and this provides its employees with the chance to not only learn multiple disciplines but to feel personal ownership in the company as it grows.
    Sendero is a place that is passionate about its people and works diligently to foster a culture that supports that in tangible ways. In an industry that is known for focusing on the work and not the people, it is nice to be a part of a company that is willing to go the extra mile for its employees!

Cons

Sendero should continue to work on adding diversity to its clients - in industry, size, and location.

Advice to Management

Management needs to make sure that its focus on people and culture is not lost as the company grows.

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for the review! You are exactly right - we will keep our focus on people as the company grows. As we say, our purpose is to enable the potential of our company, clients, and community. Company ... More

7. "Amazing company, people, and culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Friendly and inviting atmosphere, overall an incredible culture. I have had a great experience working here. Sendero (at all levels) really values and cares about its employees, the community, and clients.

Cons

Would like to see more employee benefits or "perks" (aside from compensation). However, as we are growing, leadership/HR is being responsive to such feedback.

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for the review! As we continue to grow, we'll be able to offer even more to our employees. Current perks include pizza Fridays, free drinks and snacks, month happy hours, reduced rate gym ... More

8. "New Hire"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sendero is a company that makes you feel a part of the team from the start. From the beginning, they equip you to perform successfully at your client and support you and your growth along the way.

Cons

Sendero is a smaller company so does not have the ability to offer as large a salary or benefits package as other companies.

9. "A Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Sendero truly lives its core values -- passion, higher reaching, respect, integrity, and shared success. Unlike other consulting firms, it is not a competitive environment where people are stepping over each other to be put on a project. Being billable and the amount you are billable during the year, has no impact on your performance... as a result, people really do work together and collaborate. Everyone is very supportive of each other. On top of that, there are some great benefits such as 4-5 weeks vacation for a mid-level employee and 2 hours of paid volunteer time per month. At Sendero, there is work life balance (its a no to low travel consulting firm!)

Cons

Sendero is still working on some cross-office logistics and guidelines. The Houston office is small but growing and I think in the future, lessons learned from opening a new office in Houston will be reviewed and implemented in any new offices.

10. "Driven and passionate company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sendero partners with their clients to deliver solutions and add business value to provide a different flavor of consulting to the market. All of the employees are highly driven and passionate about what they do. They ask questions and are dedicated to getting work completed successfully. The company allows for employees to express their personal passions by supporting community-centered initiatives and variety of internal efforts (such as wellness programs, book clubs, internal projects, etc).

Travel is not required and a majority of engagements are local - DFW area or Houston (dependent on employee's location). When travel opportunities are available, employees have direct input if they wish to be considered for such engagements.

Cons

The company is growing fast and sometimes needs to implement internal changes to supplement the expansion. Although leadership continuous to work on best approaches to consume the change, at times the change happens too quickly.

The majority of the employees are younger in their careers, and either have to be open to learning on the job and/or open-minded in being coached. This can be good for experienced employees who are looking to grow and coach others, but can potentially be frustrating for experienced employees who do not enjoy that.

Advice to Management

Continue expanding into different industries. Focus on growing employees' skills.

11. "Great Work. Great People. Great Company."

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a plethora of pros. Meaningful work. Great people and quality relationships. The ability to be known and have an impact at any level. This a company that is true to the culture they espouse, and with the heavy emphasis on relationships, it feels more like family than a company. There is a genuine desire to see its employees grow, its clients succeed, and its community prosper. I count myself blessed to work for Sendero.

Cons

If Sendero has any cons its that its still a small company. You have natural growing pains and can miss the brand recognition or resources you might see from a larger firm.

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiting Specialist

We might be small now, but not for long! We've been able to achieve a 30% growth rate on average, and want to continue that trend as long as we can maintain our culture. Growth provides ... More