Sendero Reviews | Glassdoor

Sendero Reviews

Updated October 31, 2017

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also enjoy being local and have been able to enjoy a great work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• One of a kind culture based on living out core values daily (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains: currently struggling with every internal committee decision going to the partner(s) - recognizing that this isn't scalable (in 23 reviews)

• The pay isn't as much as you'll make at bigger consulting firms, but I've found that the work-life balance is well worth it (in 8 reviews)

1. "It's the best of both worlds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want a true management consulting experience - project based work, sharp, diverse people, and lots of challenge and variety - then Sendero has it. If you want to be a active member of your community, have interests outside of work, and sleep in your own bed every night, then Sendero has it. Add in a strong, values based culture and it truly is the best of all worlds!

Cons

As growing firm, everyone has to be adaptable and open to change.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward staying true to the Sendero way.

Nov 1, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We think our employees are best of both worlds too - smart and extremely capable colleagues, but also well-rounded and fun people outside of the office... More

2. "Fun to Go to Work!"

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Encouraging and supportive culture
    -Individualized career support
    -Opportunities to be exposed to many different people and parts of the firm
    -Focus on employee engagement
    -Emphasis on work/life balance

Cons

-Sometimes a lot of red tape/having to get approval from a lot of people for everything
    -Typical growing pains of a small firm (fine tuning internal communication and processes, etc.)

Advice to Management

We are still a small firm, so don't let 'big company' red tape get in the way. As we grow, keep trusting that you have the right people to do the job- that will make it easier to delegate. Keep living out the culture- it is awesome and so encouraging! Definitely makes it fun to go to work everyday.

Oct 31, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We are so glad you decided to join us and have been experiencing our encouraging and supportive culture. We agree that as we get bigger we need to scale... More

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sendero offers a supportive but challenging consulting environment. I work with some of the most talented people in the industry while being a part of a collaborate community that lives and breathes a "shared success" mentality.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Oct 30, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

We think you're all extremely talented too! We look forward to your continued feedback. Thanks for the review!

"Committed to Core Values"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for Sendero for several years and even though we are a much larger company than when I started and have experienced lots of change and challenges along the way, there is one thing that has not changed - our fantastic people who are committed to living our core values. This is a very challenging and fun place to work, but one where you are surrounded by people you can count on and who create an environment of support and encouragement. There are many opportunities to develop as a professional through our client work, internal projects, and community involvement.

Cons

We are a fast-growing company and as others have mentioned, that comes with 'growing pains'. In my opinion, 'growing pains' means that we are constantly having to change and evolve as we outgrow processes, make mistakes, strive to improve, and learn as we go. We are not perfect, but with each mistake comes a chance to learn from those lessons, grow because of it, and move forward.

Advice to Management

Keep living our core values in everything you do, be as transparent as possible with our people, continue to admit mistakes and learn from them, continue to conduct culture surveys and forums to hear from our people

Oct 30, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. Your dedication over time to our people and company is sincerely appreciated. The growth you mentioned, both as individuals and company, excites... More

5. "The perfect choice for the next step in my career"

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

I joined Sendero after being at another consulting firm for several years and it has been a great decision, both professionally and personally. Not only am I challenged to do great work, but I am empowered to develop creative solutions that will help sustainably grow the firm. At Sendero you have the unique opportunity to play a vital role in not only the success of the firm, but in the career development of people around you.

Many companies will promise no expectation of travel, but quickly make exceptions when new opportunities arise. At Sendero, the local model and commitment to no mandatory travel, allows you to truly have work/life balance in the consulting profession.

Leadership has a strong commitment to building out processes that set up the firm and employees for successful growth and development. This aligns the sophistication of processes with firms that are much larger than Sendero's, and positions the firm for fast but sustainable growth.

Cons

As in any growing company, growing pains and change is inevitable. To the best of their ability, the leadership has built a strong foundation to scale, but (as in any entrepreneurial company) flexibility and adaptation is needed to handle growth.

Oct 24, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective! We're glad you joined us and are able to continue your consulting career with more work-life balance. We look forward to your continued feedback on how... More

"Doesn't Get Better, Taken for Granted"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Best people I know...my team challenges me, inspires me, makes me laugh so hard I cry, and all around makes me better
    -Committed to doing things right and putting our people first
    -Robust internal processes and policies for a company our size
    -Strong growth potential that creates opportunity for each and every individual
    -Everyone is an equal here - no egos
    -I know a lot of reviews on here mention compensation not being as good as larger firms...I think it's unfair to compare a company of 160 people to one of 250,000+ (Deloitte). From my experience, compensation is extremely generous. The merit increases surprise me year over year and bonuses are as large as the company can responsibly give. Also, at a larger firm, you will probably work 2x as many hours for that larger salary/benefits package.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that sometimes I feel like we take Sendero for granted. Because people are so passionate and want us to be great, sometimes it feels like we don't appreciate how good we have it.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your teammates and being open to feedback. If it seems like you're only hearing constructive advice, don't let it get you down. We have such a strong culture that we are able to critique the little things. Don't let yourself get too busy to have some fun with your team. Delegate everything that can be delegated so you can focus on recognizing your teams, mentoring, and keeping a pulse on culture.

Oct 24, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for the positive feedback and advice - the recognition is sincerely appreciated! We will continue to put our people first so we can be the best place to work possible.

"I've just started so I can't say a whole lot yet, but it seems that everyone at my level really enjoys working here."

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, very supportive, and genuinely interested in developing their people. Coming from a large corporate setting its almost unnerving as if it's all a facade, but it really isn't. Sendero has culture down.

Cons

Some growing pains due to rapid growth. As in, it can be hard to find a place to sit on Fridays when lots of people come into the main office. Luckily we're relocating nearby to a larger space soon.

Advice to Management

No complaints yet

Oct 2, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're so glad you joined us. We're also looking forward to the new office and extra space. Our new location is just 2 blocks from our current Dallas... More

"Associate"

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

-Incredible culture
    -You will become great friends with your colleagues
    -Leadership will know you personally
    -Project managers will help you succeed
    -Everyone wants you to perform well
    -A company that is glued to the 5 core values
    -Incredible work life balance

Cons

-Small firm so there are not all of the benefits of big firms (tuition reimbursement, free sporting tickets), but we are getting new benefits all the time (phone stipend, parking stipend. These do not cover all of the costs of a phone bill/parking costs, but it is nice to have the stipend).
    -There are some "growing pains." In my opinion that means we are kicking off great programs, but they are young so they are not mature. For example, there are some people who have been at the same client for a long time. We now have a program in place to increase awareness for those employees so they will be transitioned off their client and onto a new one. This program is not a "well oiled machine," but it is still a new program. The con is the "growing pain" of the program being implemented, but we are not yet perfect at leveraging the program.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow Sendero. I was a college hire and I have grown so much in my time with the firm. I hope we continue to grow, continue to expand, and mature into the next level company we are targeting to be. I am fully bought into the vision, and I will stay with the firm as long as the vision and core values remain in place.

Oct 2, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. Your advice is both appreciated and encouraging. Our commitment to our values and vision is motivated by our goal to unleash the potential of our people. We... More

"Analyst"

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sendero has a great culture that is super entrepreneurial. It still feels like family although we are growing like crazy and now I don't know everyone. I enjoy experiencing this critical time where we will need to take a small company to a mid sized company and out grow our processes and building. There are exciting things in the works for Sendero and it is great how management lets us in on many of those conversations. Great performance management program, Career advisory program, and internal opportunities.

Cons

Many people have been on the same clients for years, working in silos from their Sendero teammates. Looking forward to seeing more unique clients, more moving people around and more teams of Sendero employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your reports and understand what they are doing and working on, make an effort to know everyone/as many people as you can even though we are growing quickly. Understand that even though Sendero is working on exciting things internally, the client facing consultant's job hasn't changed for the past few years.

Oct 24, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review and for your 3+ years of dedication to our company and clients. We agree that we are looking forward to taking on more projects with leveraged teams of Sendero employees... More

"This is One Great Company"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Interesting projects
    Interesting, inspiring, and fun employees

Cons

It's difficult to think of cons

Oct 23, 2017 – Recruiting Specialist

We're so glad to have you! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. As you continue to grow with us, please share any feedback you have through our annual culture survey, with your CA, or to... More