SeneGence Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This is not a get rich quick company, but it is a company where you work hard and you can sell their great products" (in 11 reviews)

• "Amazing products that actually work" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "My advice: do not sign up with SeneGence until they resolve their out of stock issues" (in 10 reviews)

• "There was a time there was no stock" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SeneGence part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work have a business with. Incredible products. Sales can return a 50% profit, which is huge. Commission is exactly what it should be, payment on team sales. Everything is very easy to understand in back office. Trainings are abundant and useful.

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

2. ".NET Developer"

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at SeneGence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at SeneGence (corporate headquarters, Lake Forest, CA) for a very short period and only left because of personal reasons and not at all due to shortcomings of the company.

The salary was above what I anticipated for my experience.

The developer team is technically proficient.

The direct supervisor is great, understanding, super experienced, and has direction and purpose.

Almost all the developers had senior-level experience.

SeneGence at the time was transitioning to a new technology stack and that stack was modern (think TypeScript/React/Redis; everything in the cloud, etc) and, for developers, exciting.

The developers on the IT team were committed and hard-working. They worked long hours (though I didn't sense any pressure from management on them to do so).

Cons

As a developer at SeneGence, you are definitely working in an IT department within a larger, non-IT corporate environment. It's straight 8-hour/day, business attire, bureaucratic culture. Avoid if you only thrive in the start-up environment.

Though the IT team itself seems to have direction, it wasn't clear that SeneGence as an organization really understood how they wanted to leverage their IT assets. In other words, in the short time that I was employed there, I felt like I was working at an organization that had recently grown massively and was using that financial growth to sort of "throw things at the wall "to see what would stick."

Almost everyone at SeneGence is new to SeneGence. Again, seemingly a symptom of recent growth.

If it matters to you, SeneGence drug tests upon hire.

Advice to Management

I wasn't there long enough to be qualified to provide any. I would have been happy to remain employed had circumstances been different. And the only thing that I would change, really, is the "buttoned-down", old-school nature of the organization.

3. "Not worth it"

I worked at SeneGence part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The makeup is fantastic! I would only pay the starting fee if I was going to be buying the makeup for myself and not selling

Cons

When I first started they have issues with products being out of stock...that is no longer happening, but it made me spend a lot of my own money and not get the pay off back. I sold for almost a year and I was stuck with a lot of makeup. It was hard to expand your clients and hard to get into vendor events due to the fact that was the first vendor to book up. The last month before my account was shutting down, because I hadn’t placed a PV order of 105 in the past 6 months (due to the fact I had so much in stock to try and sell first) they shut down my account when I had a return in the process and they wouldn’t refund me ans basically told me that they would open my account for 48 hours but had to place a $250 order and then they would reprocess my return....so I ended up losing out on over $80 of my own money.

"Honestly, a nightmare."

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Plano, TX

I worked at SeneGence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many products work well, last a long time, and the out of stock debacle is over. They’ve made improvements on the distributor ordering process.

Cons

As with many MLM’s, the leaders- the girls ranked “Crown Princess” and above live a LIE- they will literally say ANYTHING to get you to sign up under them. They will spin whatever they have to to sound like a positive even if it’s a really awful negative and there is not any room as a distributor to have an HONEST less-than-perfect opinion about any aspect of the company or it’s products. An individual distributor has to spend BARE MINIMUM $890 dollars out of her own pocket in order to get 50% discount off of their suggested retail price- because they collect sales tax on the full retail value of your purchase. Plus senegence charges their distributors shipping and handling and packing- and then taxes on that! And the heartbreaking/ backbreaking part is that number starts all over every. Single. Month! So it’s not cumulative.. if you spend $890 in January, which gets you $1500 retail value worth of product, you would have to spend another $890 in February in order to get that same discount. (You can spend about $425 and get $600 retail value worth of product- which is 40% off retail, plus sales tax on the full retail value plus shipping handling packing plus taxes on that.)
    And even 50% off the product isn’t anywhere close to as great as is sounds bc you have to pay for packing and shipping materials (to send sold product to your clients- if they’re even willing to wait to get cosmetics in the mail), business cards, promo items, storing cases, gas to deliver or ship the products, credit card fees, etc etc etc.. You even have to BUY the little catalogs to provide the client! Yes your distributor had to pay her own money just to show you what they can sell you?! In addition to the $55 plus tax per year you have to pay just to be a distributor (which gets you nothing) you have to pay hundreds of dollars PER YEAR if you want your own SeneGence website and yet that is the only means by which you’re allowed to collect funds online in exchange for product! You’re not allowed to set up your own site anywhere else- that includes amazon or eBay. And the market is so saturated- especially on social media- that you have to offer a discount just to move product at all- so it’s highly likely you never re-coup the sales tax you’ve already paid, nor all the shipping, handling, packaging, storing, marketing etc etc etc costs you incur- making the 100% profit margin an absolute fantasy. Then there’s the matter of your time- to drive somewhere, (get a babysitter), bring all your stuff (all the storage cases and promo items you’ve bought) and let ladies try the product can take hours of your time from prep work to the time you get back home.. some will be skeptical, some will be “looky-Lou’s” , some will balk at the prices .. but maybe you sell some items- but when you look at what it took to get there- the profit vs your time, it’s many times less than a retail job per hour. So your only other option is to push people to sign up as a distributor under you- and then manage a “team”- somehow convincing them to buy, buy, buy and sign up more people under them, so you have enough downline sales to get a free car lease from SeneGence. I honestly like many of the products. I have just been abhorred over the tactics “friends” will stoop to in order to peddle their pyramid. My heart just isn’t wired like that.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Hard to make money"

I worked at SeneGence part-time

Pros

Their LipSense really does work!

Cons

Need to spend way too much money per month to get a decent discount. And need to spend a certain amount a month to even receive any commission.

Advice to Management

Stop resetting PV every month.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at SeneGence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing. Benefits are good. Management is employee focused. Scope for improvement but overall stands good.

Cons

Hoping growth and greediness should not become a spoiler to employee and management relationship.

Advice to Management

Please contribute at least 4% in 401K with no locking. PTO should be minimum 120 hrs a year. Bonus is very good tool for motivation and be generous. Employees are your assets.

7. "The bad reviews are old."

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SeneGence part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Product is great.
    No mins to sell
    Easy to sell
    Laid back
    "The sellout" issue is no more. There is constantly over 50 colors always in stock and well as tons of cues. Any distribution problems they had 2 years ago are no more. They grew really fast but that just means me petiole want to buy the stuff. That's A good thing...duh

Cons

you need a good "up line" for direction and support.
    Its not a get rich quick plan if you thought it was, sorry.

Advice to Management

None

"Distributor"

Current Employee - Distributor
    Current Employee - Distributor

I have been working at SeneGence part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products that really work, amazing skincare, good incentives if you really work the business as a full time job.

Cons

Shipping & handling costs (that you even have to pay tax on).
    Must place a BIG order to get a BIG discount.
    Packaging of products needs updating (stuck in the 90's. Some of the skincare products leak or don't function properly.
    Everyone on your "upline" really pushes you to recruit people and to purchase products.

Advice to Management

Revamp packaging (its 2018!). And fix leaky skincare products (favewash, bodywash, ect), Vitamin C (SeneSerum C) is always clogged.

"Not What It's Cracked Up To Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SeneGence part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have an awesome Lipsense line. Skin products are like any other skin product on the market. Some work, some don't.

Cons

Pyramid scheme. Those who benefit are ones who signed up in the beginning sitting back making commissions off the backs of people who were made a lot of empty promises. I've placed orders and have gotten something different than what I ordered. Sent several emails and got a generic response saying they would get back to me; they never did. They nickle and dime us with shipping and handling charges. Was worse with the out of stock problem when they would make products available one at a time. Website was so bad that it was impossible to log in to order so you ended up getting one thing at a time as things opened up just to build your stock. Taxes they charge don't match up to taxes charged for my area. Most of their promises are geared toward trying to sign up more distributors. Worked my tail off during the out of stock crisis. You have to purchase more than $800-900 each month in order to earn 50% off. Not worth all the trouble. They discourage anyone from talking anything against the company. Uplines a lot of the time are useless and once you sign up you never hear from them much less get help.

Advice to Management

Better planning before building your empire. Follow up with uplines to make sure they are providing the help they initially promised. Treat your current employees/distributors better as to retain your work force.

"A Crazy Mess"

I worked at SeneGence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and the benefits are not bad.

Cons

Corporate SeneGence doesn't know what they are doing. Everything is so last minute and there's no planning ahead. The website will NEVER be updated because all the money is going to private jets and the owner's pocket. They only care about profits.

Marketing is a mess being run by an idiot who has no idea what she is doing. She's lucky she kisses the owner's behind. The department had a high turn-over rate because of her and will continue again. The crazy SVP has a jekyll and hyde personality when she's off her meds. Knowing SeneGence they will still promote her to Chief Marketing Officer. SeneGence was so lucky LipSense took off through social media because marketing had no part.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting people who have no idea what they are doing. Do market research and plan.