Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews | Glassdoor

Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Intense work that requires strong work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Pay is low and sometimes feel unappreciated (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Pathfinder- Counselor"

Current Employee - Support Counselor
    Current Employee - Support Counselor

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, the kids, the families. It is such a community.. all working together to support one another and watch our clients thrive. I am part of one of the most dedicated, creative and inspiring group
    of staff that could I have ever hoped for. The training and learning is ongoing and the administrative team is approachable, knowledgeable and "one of us." The teachers constantly find ways to engage and inspire our clients. In one word: COMMUNITY

Their developed pathways for further careers in unprecedented and I feel I am supported by supervisors to explore long term career goals in which Seneca encourages and supports (verbally and financially). This job has been life changing.

Cons

We are a small school, so our impact could
    Always extend further than our walls. Would
    Love to explore ways to do that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Clinical Supervisor"

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supports and values staff
    Opportunity for professional development
    Strong values around social justice
    Strong advocacy for clients
    Values cultural diversity
    Supportive of staff who are parents
    6 weeks of vacation per year

Cons

The clinical work is very challenging. In many cases, clients are suffering from severe trauma as well as depression, anxiety and drug/alcohol addiction. Most clients are affected by poverty and have had long histories with child welfare and criminal justice system. Seneca staff have the added burden of interfacing with these systems (probation, public education and child welfare) that tend to be less progressive and clinical in their approaches to working with children and families and resistant to change.

Advice to Management

In my experience management is constantly soliciting ideas from staff to improve the quality of the work environment.

3. "Bilingual Mobile acounselo"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

-great team to work with
    -excellent experience with mental health
    -co-workers work together
    -paid extra for being bilingual

Cons

-I did not like how I had to use my car
    -had to use my money for clients and would get reimbursed on a monthly status

Advice to Management

Employ more people that represent the community we are working for.

4. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Clinician in Sonoma, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Sonoma, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supervision, flexible schedule, benefits, experience.

Cons

Intense work that requires strong work-life balance.

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

Jul 18, 2017 – Digital Communications Manager

I hope you’re enjoying settling into your new role! Please remember that your supervisor is an invaluable tool in managing your work life balance. We’re excited to have you on board, and appreciate... More

5. "Care Coordinator"

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Positive atmosphere within the work environment.

Cons

Casework is heavy for the workers.

6. "Clinician"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies (More than a year)

Pros

-Encourages Unconditional Care Model to provide ongoing support to children and families.
    -It's definitely one of the best non profit organizations I've worked for.
    -Depending what team/program you work for, you definitely feel supported.
    -They invest in ongoing professional development and there's many training opportunities
    -Great place to start if you're a recent grad
    -There's a variety of programs and in different locations so transferring to different programs is a plus if needed.
    -Non profit takes mental health notes and documents seriously so they provide ongoing deadlines which prevents procrastination (which i've experienced in other non profits)

Cons

-Could always pay Clinicians more of course
    -Self care is incredibly important given that the work is difficult
    -Lots of paperwork - however comes with working in mental health
    -Support of Bilingual Clinicians and staff members needs to be enhanced; they definitely have a higher rate of burn out given extra work

Advice to Management

Increase employment benefits and pay rate to prevent loss of good staff members

7. "Strong Coworkers, Weak Program Development"

Former Employee - Wraparound Support Counselor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Wraparound Support Counselor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies (More than a year)

Pros

Wraparound service providers work within a team structure providing a wide range of clinical insight into each case. There is a lot of collaboration with the county child services, juvenile justice systems, schools, group homes and shelters so staff gain a significant amount of knowledge in multiple social work domains. Good PTO time and schedule flexibility.

Cons

24 hour on call shifts 3 times a month (almost once a week) which can bleed over into your weekends. It is difficult to obtain good supervision.

Advice to Management

Be open to the feedback given by staff

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seneca is a growing agency that is doing great things for the community and the families they serve. Seneca is an innovative company and welcomes employee input. Seneca really values their employees as well as their clients and spends a great deal of effort ensuring that employees feel supported.

Cons

The nature of the work can be really emotionally challenging. It's easy to burn out in this field, despite Seneca's efforts to encourage self-care.

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

Jun 27, 2017 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your insights with us. I’m happy to hear you felt supported and valued during your time working at Seneca. This work can be challenging at times, but we are committed to... More

9. "Love my job -- Clinician"

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING support -- this was my first therapist/clinician position, and was nervous about working in this field. Seneca has some very knowledgeable clinical supervisors who are willing to support you in any way possible. I have felt supported by co-workers as well, and the environment is just so warm and friendly. Despite the job being difficult (come on... any mental health job can be difficult), you can always count on someone willing to assist you in any way possible.

TRAININGS -- Seneca does an amazing job of offering a multitude of trainings on various topics. These trainings have definitely helped in my professional growth!

Appreciations -- Yes, I feel very appreciated as an employee here. Seneca prides themselves in making each other feel appreciated from the very moment you begin training. This does, in fact, translate into the work you do... and you do feel appreciated by everyone (from directors to managers to staff!).

Overall, depending on the site that you're at... this may look different, and the experience may be different. From my experience, management does a good job making sure we're doing ok, always offer support when needed, and really make the staff feel valued. I can't speak for every program, but I've definitely enjoyed working here thus far.

Cons

Pay is DECENT -- I'll admit, the pay has gotten a little better than when I first started here, but I feel like the compensation is still a little low for the amount of work that we do (e.g. Caseload, paperwork, meetings, etc). I'm hoping this can be addressed, and that staff can be compensated for the hard work that we do.

High turnover -- I've been with the agency for a few years, and have noticed that a lot of the people that I started with are all gone. Might be the pay? Might be the burnout? I'm not sure... but the agency needs to do a better job of addressing this if they don't want to be known as a "stepping stone" for people jump-starting their careers.

Burnout -- Yes... it's real. Although the agency supports staff to utilize PTO, if you don't take care of yourself, you'll experience stress and burnout. Mind you, the overwhelming amount of paperwork/notes don't help with feel stressed. I'll add a caveat though... paperwork/notes are manageable if you plan accordingly!!

Advice to Management

I notice that you have all been attentive to the needs of the employees. You all do an amazing job at making us feel valued, and as if we DO matter. I just really hope that there really is follow through with paperwork reduction, and hoping for a pay increase or bonuses of some sort (hopefully in the near future) to prevent a high turnover rate. Great job overall. Kudos!

10. "Entry level only"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You development close relationships with others and have a lot of time off (if that's considered a pro).

Cons

The pay is bad and the work can be emotionally and physically taxing.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees