Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick

Pros
  • In my humble opinion, anyone would be lucky to be a part of the Seneca Family of Agencies team (in 13 reviews)

• Seneca strives on an unconditional care model (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is also a struggle at times (in 12 reviews)

• As any social work nonprofit, the pay is low compared to the demands of the work (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Pathfinder- Counselor"

Current Employee - Support Counselor
    Current Employee - Support Counselor

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, the kids, the families. It is such a community.. all working together to support one another and watch our clients thrive. I am part of one of the most dedicated, creative and inspiring group
    of staff that could I have ever hoped for. The training and learning is ongoing and the administrative team is approachable, knowledgeable and "one of us." The teachers constantly find ways to engage and inspire our clients. In one word: COMMUNITY

Their developed pathways for further careers in unprecedented and I feel I am supported by supervisors to explore long term career goals in which Seneca encourages and supports (verbally and financially). This job has been life changing.

Cons

We are a small school, so our impact could
    Always extend further than our walls. Would
    Love to explore ways to do that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Program Assistant"

Former Employee - Wraparound Counselor, Program Assistant, Visitation Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training program, amazing transition from university to the working world. I felt supported by my supervisor and fellow staff members. Great place to work if you are looking for community within the workplace. Excellent benefits and PTO.

Cons

Pay is low, which is to be expected for a non-profit if you don't have a graduate degree like myself.

Advice to Management

More staff appreciation days! More opportunities for advancement without master's degree.

"Engaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring people with a difficult mission

Cons

Rather isolating work...nature of the craft however

5. "Accoubting"

Pros

Great environment and great place to learn!

Cons

Low-pay for cost of living in the area

6. "They want you to do what they want you to do"

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Good paid time off offered

Cons

You often feel like a cog in a machine. They don't care much about your specifc professional goals and ask too much of their employees.

7. "Build your skills and take them elsewhere"

Current Employee - Administrative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING coworkers, flexible schedule (most of the time and depends on position), decent PTO policy although it seems more generous than it actually is because PTO and sick time are combined.

Cons

Work/life balance is a major issue, pay is way too low for the Bay Area especially for having a college degree, high turnover, some Managers are great while others have no business in Management, too much expected of Admin staff, and potential to be moved around a lot depending on your program's budget. We keep hearing that pay will increase but nothing has changed. Bachelor-level staff start at only $17.00/hour which is impossible to live on in the Bay Area. We are initially told to hold boundaries and not look at our work phones off the clock, but it is frowned upon if you don't. Admin staff can only promote near central HQ (Oakland and San Leandro) so there isn't a lot of opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Increase pay ASAP, address high turnover, discourage working off the clock to improve work/life balance. Offer promotions in other areas outside of Oakland and San Leandro - the agency is growing and needs to expand elsewhere.

8. "IT Support Specialist"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a small group of people therefore we get to do everything in the IT realm. We are helpdesk people, we are all system administrators, and we are jack of all trades.

Cons

It can get hectic because there are so few of us.

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review. We always welcome and appreciate hearing feedback from our staff!

9. "Mental Health Therapist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offered a lot of training opportunities, had great support from staff, and had a thorough and lengthy on-boarding process.

Cons

Salary was low, no other complaints, great place to work.

"Mehh"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Great mission
    Passionate people

Cons

Practices are questionable, if not simply unethical
    Mission gets lost through bureaucracy

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Digital Communications Manager

I am very sorry you had that experience. I am also very concerned that you felt there was something approaching unethical, and would like to address this concern. Of course that is very difficult ... More

11. "TBS Clinician"

Former Employee - TBS Clinician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - TBS Clinician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seneca employs some of the most talented and passionate mental health workers that you can find. working as a TBS Clinician provides a lot of freedom to taylor the treatment plan to what you as a professional sees fit but it is also limited in that the treatment is dictated by a lead therapist's existing treatment plan. TBS is a inventive, intensive approach to fixing a problem behaviors of youth. Theres a lot of freedom to make your own appointments and manage your own schedule. The office culture is very supportive and the co-workers collaborate well teams, programs, and cases.

Cons

Often times youth and families will be over indoctrinated with services. This makes it hard sometimes to be effective when competing for time with clients against multiple other providers who are all attempting to provide similar services. Working in the field can be challenging when clients dodge you and lack engagement.