Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2020

3.8
Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick
Pros
  • "I really appreciate how Seneca views professional development and I feel lucky to work at an organization that invests so much in its employees(in 22 reviews)

• "Seneca truly is an expert in the field of mental health, foster care, and adoption(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work-life balance due to the above(in 19 reviews)

• "Like any non-profit job it can always feel like there's more to do than time to do it(in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I found my work family here at Seneca Family of Agencies!"

5.0

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At Seneca you will work alongside bright and compassionate people. The support I received came from not only my supervisor, but also my peers. Office culture is dependent on your office/program, but no matter what program you land in, you can expect to find Seneca employees to be smart, caring and kind individuals.

Cons

None. I love my amazing coworkers, flexible schedule, room to grow and the strong learning environment Seneca creates for their staff.

Seneca Family of Agencies2019-07-10

Seneca Family of Agencies Response

July 10, 2019Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Here at Seneca, we welcome people that value diversity and exercise teamwork and collaboration. I’m thrilled to hear that you’re experiencing your colleagues as the smart, caring and kind individuals that our recruiters look for in prospective employees. Thank you for being a part of the Seneca family! Nathaniel Foster, Chief Advancement Officer

2. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Youth Partner in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience, flexibility, the company care about you, competitive pay compared to other agency's'

Cons

a lot of travel at times, no stable working hours

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-05-20
  3. "Love the people I work with"

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Welcoming environment -People I work with are easy to approach with any questions or concerns -Supervisors and supervisions let me able to speak up and give me a voice

Cons

-Pay -Lack of knowing what’s other programs there within Seneca

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-06-01
  4. "Meaningful, full filling, but very very hard"

Current Employee - Family Support Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are great, very supportive directors, supervisors of color are helpful and vital in the success of other pocs

Cons

High turnover, desperation has led to hiring certain people that are not equipped for the their positions including some in managerial roles, low pay , use of personal car, rapid response shifts

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-05-29
  5. "Great!"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very understanding Administrators, great time off, decent pay, awesome support

Cons

No real cons except the clients difficulties can be a lot to carry

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-05-08
  6. "Buyer Beware"

1.0
    Former Employee - Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent services for client and families (at a price). See cons.

Cons

They use their staff. Hypocritical (they follow their 'values' and policy and procedures only when convenient for them to do so and use their 'at will' status as an employer as an excuse when they don't) Very cult-like atmosphere (if you say/do the 'right' things to the correct people you're golden. They love 'yes people'. But if you speak your mind or question anything you're marked and eventually forced out)

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-05-16
  7. "Fully supported"

5.0

Pros

Great mission, strong values, support from both colleagues and supervisor.

Cons

Challenging work, nonprofit pay (but mission/support make up for it).

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-03-19

"Most staff are great, executive leadership culture is toxic"

2.0
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that are attracted to Seneca's mission are incredible. I love collaborating with such thoughtful and compassionate coworkers who will stop at nothing to provide excellent care to youth.

Cons

It is an open secret that a small cadre of senior leaders display a lack of the very values the agency claims to care most about. The CEO is the public face of the organization, but in private he does not regard leaders with much respect or empathy, and this trickles down through every level of the organization. The board seems to have no clue that this treatment persists and never once have they asked for feedback as part of the evaluation process, even though feedback is a stated priority agency wide. Meanwhile, intelligent, passionate leaders leave after being berated or ridiculed - particularly women or minorities as there are sexist and racist overtones to the preferences given to some staff over others.

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-03-27
  9. "love it"

Current Employee - WRAP Support Counselor - Bilingual in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for less than a year

Pros

wonderful culture. flexible hours. amazing supervisor. meaningful work

Cons

pay doesn't equal cost of living. transition of county contracts can put strain on workers

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-03-10
  10. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Support Counselor in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Company really cares about their employees -good benefits -great PTO -Positive work culture -Good management

Cons

-Did not feel as though I received sufficient training for my role

Seneca Family of Agencies2020-02-26