Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Encourages Unconditional Care Model to provide ongoing support to children and families" (in 20 reviews)

• "They invest in ongoing professional development and there's many training opportunities" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance was sometimes an issue with taking work home with me" (in 17 reviews)

• "Pay is low, which is to be expected for a non-profit if you don't have a graduate degree like myself" (in 15 reviews)

1. "I love coming to work every day!"

Current Employee - Development/Fundraising
    Current Employee - Development/Fundraising

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seneca hires the best of the best. I truly feel privileged to work alongside the people Seneca hires. I've felt appreciated and valued as Seneca employee, something I rarely felt at my last organization. I'm thankful for the innovative culture, providing ongoing training and pushing me to seek personal growth opportunities.
    The pay is competitive to other nonprofit salaries and the benefits are amazing. I can't say enough good things about this company. I've referred multiple friends to work here.
    I adore the children and families we get to serve at Seneca. Seneca truly is an expert in the field of mental health, foster care, and adoption. I love getting to share when people ask me about the organization I work for.

Cons

In the past, Seneca has relied heavily on county contracts for funding which has stunted a culture of philanthropy internally. For the development staff this has made it arduous to get leadership and staff buy-in with awareness campaigns or fundraising goals. I've seen progress since I've been here but it is a different culture than other nonprofit organizations that hold individual/private donations as priority.

Jun 5, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

It’s wonderful to hear that you are enjoying the culture at Seneca. We work hard to be an inclusive organization that people enjoy being a part of. Seneca is a large organization and shifting to a... More

2. "Good agency, but an agency nonetheless"

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good culture (may be program dependent), high-mid range pay for non-profit, great room to explore different roles, programs, etc. and super career oriented. Really good and reasonable insurance and amazing vacation(pto).

Cons

Super high burnout/vicarious trauma intensive work. Like any non-profit pay is not the greatest. Huge agency, many pluses to this, but also comes with challenges, bureaucracy, and an interested and sometimes disconnected feeling culture.

Advice to Management

For a corporation with such strong values around family, would be nice to have some type of paid family/parent leave...Pay could be bumped a tad as well. Otherwise, pretty good experience.

3. "Mental Health Counselor"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Regular trainings and meetings, opportunity to engage with a variety of professionals, good team building

Cons

High turnover, not enough staff to support crisis, not enough time for notes/documentation

Jun 27, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am pleased to hear that you were able to engage with other mental health professionals during your time at Seneca. We are committed to supporting our... More

4. "Mental Health Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relationships with the kids can be incredibly rewarding. This is a hard job, and they try to be upfront about it. However, Seneca could do so much more to support their employees.

Cons

There was little to no training involved, even some simple therapy techniques would have been helpful. Our two week training involved learning how to safely restrain a child and talking about our feelings. I ended up teaching myself counseling skills, but it was a brutal first 6 months there. I was hired as a "floater" which meant I was traveling to a different site each day, never being able to be consistent in the kids' lives. Because of this, I was the target of many of the kids' attacks and unsupported by staff who also didn't know me well. When I was finally placed in one site, I was similarly dropped in with no support. I went to the emergency room twice from being attacked by students and had to have the entire locking system replaced on my car (about $500 worth) because I was targeted by one student.
    Seneca was a great lesson in how to advocate and protect myself. Unfortunately, I don't feel like it best served the students or the staff. The staff are mostly all kids fresh out of undergrad with no formal training. The kids, who need older and more experienced clinicians, are not getting the services they deserve.

Advice to Management

Foster a culture of self-care in addition to caring for others. Self-care was preached, but not practiced. I was told on more than one occasion that I was not allowed to use the restroom, eat lunch, or take a break during the day--despite being flagrantly illegal. When I complained up the food chain, I was shunned and disciplined. This is why your company has such high turnover.

Jun 26, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed working with the youth and families at Seneca. This work can be difficult, but also incredibly rewarding. I would be... More

5. "Thoughtful and caring organization for staff, children and their families"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The agency is responsive to the needs of their kids, families and staff. They have a very individualized approach for each person. Training and professional development was a huge focus for the agency and a lot of resources were allocated to ensure staff grew professionally and personally. They strive to be a leader for the larger field in this area, as in others.

Cons

It is a large organization that is figuring out how to meet different needs across two states.

Jul 10, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you so much for upholding Seneca’s values. It is wonderful that Senecans such as yourself are able to clearly embody the values of our organization and speak to them so eloquently. As a large... More

6. "Administration"

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Consistant Supervision
    Staff who are in it for the right reasons
    Will build your knowledge of trauma informed care
    In house training department
    Good pay for the level of work

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to complete your work
    Not enough support in coaching or counseling out staff who are not a good fit for the organization
    Culture varies from site to site
    Challenging to work amongst other leaders with no outside experience
    Promote from within too often, even when people are not ready for leadership

7. "Excellent place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seneca has supported my professional development and allowed me to grow my skill set and explore new opportunities in a way that feels very unique and special. Over the past five years I have been encouraged to head up new initiatives and attend training series to spur professional growth, all with the support of caring managers and EDs. I feel lucky to work in an environment that champions personal and professional development and allows people to go out on limbs and test new ideas for the betterment of the organization as a whole.

Cons

There is room for improvement with compensation, although I believe that positive strides have been taken to increase wages across the board. Additionally, although six weeks paid leave is an excellent start for paid family leave/ maternity leave, it would be nice to see that expand.

Advice to Management

Incentivize people sticking with the organization by instituting a sabbatical policy for employees who have been here for 5 years or more.

May 16, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. We often find that because of the support given here at Seneca and the importance of the work we do, we have many tenure employees. It is so nice... More

8. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic team; thorough training; supportive and responsive management; decent pay and benefits; overall a great experience; socially impactful work with direct results

Cons

Sometimes intense work, takes a toll. Important to advocate for your needs to management.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Great Company with A Few Kinks"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People
    Good Work/Life Balance
    Support from Management

Cons

Direct communication and supervision is championed, but many managers do not have the knowledge/training to model these skills properly.

Advice to Management

It seems like the company is focused on expansion, but it would be best served by focusing on communication between core departments in order to make sure the WHOLE company is on the same page

May 8, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

As you know, we always welcome feedback at Seneca. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It’s good to know you were able to work with great people, and felt supported by... More

10. "I love my staff!"

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my co-workers, This company truly cares how their employees feel, Growth (depending on your department)

Cons

point blank the pay, if this company paid more i wouldn't be interested working anywhere else

Advice to Management

Keep staying amazing!! G

Jun 19, 2018 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and sharing your experience!