Senior Lifestyle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon DeLuca

Pros
  • Depending on the community you're with, Senior Lifestyle can be a great company to work with on a daily basis (in 5 reviews)

• The residents and families you meet (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There has been some change in upper management but I feel that everything happens for a reason and it is smooth sailing ahead (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay for the 20 titles and duties (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great potential."

Current Employee - Lead Medical Technologist in Loganville, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Medical Technologist in Loganville, GA

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents and families you meet.

Cons

Salary, shift times, working conditions.

2. "Good Entry Level Job"

Former Employee - Server in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Senior Lifestyle part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good entry level job. I first started working here while I was in high school. It was my first job and had no other professional work experience.
    -The job itself was fairly routine. Most shifts, I knew exactly what was expected of me; the work was not very difficult.

Cons

-There were frequent changes in managers and supervisors, resulting in an unstable work environment, making it difficult to communicate questions and concerns, as well as requests for time off, changes in availability, etc.
    -Consequences for arriving late to work or not coming in at all were rare. Because of this, we would be short-staffed for many shifts, making it difficult to serve the residents

"Director of sales and marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the families and learning about the needs for their loved ones and how to help assist them in finding their new next home.

Cons

The management and leadership is horrible. The culture and the environment at the community is very unhealthy. I would not recommend working there.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees through positive actions not to have them fear you. Listen to the concerns of your family members so you can resolve the problems instead of making them feel they need to exit or that their concerns are not valid.

4. "Licensed Practical Nurse"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Barrington, IL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Barrington, IL

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is good and listens.

Cons

Not enough hours. Only one nurse per shift

"DO NOT WORK FOR THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY!!!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything that is a positive with this company.

Cons

Leadership is extremely poor, they lie to get prospective residents to move in. Extremely LOW PAY! Facility is subpar compared to their competitors. They do not listen to resident's complaints, and do not work to fix anything. All they care about is money. When a resident passes away, they just care about filling the empty room. They will concoct any reason, however feeble, to write you up, if they want to get rid of you. Management does not what they are doing, they are liars, and just protect themselves! High turnover, that should tell you it's not a good place to work. With few exceptions, the directors are uneducated people, who can't get jobs anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Close the company, that's where it's heading.

6. "Easy job"

Former Employee - Server/Utility Worker/Cook in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server/Utility Worker/Cook in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Senior Lifestyle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with the elderly, simple work, can work multiple positions. Benefits after working there a certain amount of time

Cons

Minimum Pay, nothing more than $10 for Servers/Utility Workers, $12 for cooks. Turnover rate is awful which puts strain on other employees.

Advice to Management

Give incentives and rewards for the loyal employees who stick, even through the rough times.

"DON'T DO IT!"

Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Tampa, FL

I worked at Senior Lifestyle (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some awesome senior!

Cons

Micromanage, Upper Management Doesn't Care, Horrible Benefits

Advice to Management

I worked for SLC for 2.5 years starting my career as a marketing assistant and working my way up getting 2 promotions. I dedicated a lot of time and effort into my community, residents, and the families. In the beggining they were all about helping me grow and teaching me the ropes of the industry. Somewhere in the middle they forgot what the ultimate goal was which was keeping our residents safe, happy, and giving them the best quality of life.

Now all they care about is money. Upper management sits in their skyscraper in Chicago micromanaging and not caring about the people below them who are actually doing the work and the direct care. My care staff was amazing and they kept our residents and families happy but that wasn’t enough…. When our whole regions move-in numbers were down and not just our company but it was an industry wide low. They started making their cuts and micromanaging everything. Im surprised they didn’t give me a bathroom schedule!

They don’t care about any of us. If you don’t make them money they kick you to the curb! I worked my butt off for this company and when I put in my 30 day notice to pursue an advancement into becoming an Executive Director in a completely different state, they originally told me I could work out my notice. At 5:30pm that night my ED called me and told me she was walking me out the next day and that they wouldn’t pay out my notice! Saying it was company policy, even thought the 2 DSM’s before me were not walked out, and I personally know a DSM from SLC that was paid out 6 weeks and was walked out the same day of putting in their notice.

If you are one of the staff in the communities don’t even bother wasting your time trying to get in contact with regionals or corporate members. They don’t answer or respond to messages. Again , they don’t care about you!

This company used to be amazing and used to stand for family values and really cared. Now its a complete joke of a company. I would highly advise not working for them unless you like being on daily calls that take up most of your day and sending in report after report about every call, contact, or step you made during that day!

8. "Health and Wellness Director, Mangrove Bay"

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with this company almost 2 years. I read these reviews on this site and notice that the majority of the bad reviews come from former employees. I hope that people take that into consideration when reading them. I have never been happier in my work life (30 years+, including over 10 years in this industry). My job is extremely rewarding. Do I have some long hours? Yes. However, if you are a nursing director or an executive director, you should expect to put in longer hours at times. That's what pulling together and being a team is about. Am I recognized for my work contributions? Absolutely! From upper management, regionals, and my direct supervisor, they all acknowledge when you've done a good job. Furthermore, I am encouraged (although, I didn't have to be because I already do it) to recognize the employees that I supervise. Every manager here knows that we couldn't do it without them. My Executive Director rolls up her sleeves and works like everyone else and is always available if we need help. My regionals are also always willing to coach and listen. Even when we don't do something we should, or need some improvement in an area, this is told to us in a respectful manner, with an offer of training or help at the same time.

The residents come first here, period. They are well cared for, encouraged and provided meaningful opportunities. Our priority is resident care. We recognize that people come first. From myself, to my supervisor, regionals and above, they do support that the resident be taken care of and putting people first.

Cons

Not every job is perfect, no matter where you go. However, I see no real cons even worth talking about. I am very lucky to be a part of this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing. The people who love their jobs and love what they do appreciate you.

"As always it depends on the ED"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Senior Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good overall company culture. Corporate executives visit their communities and listen to the floor staff.

Cons

The culture can greatly vary between communities. Overexpanision may be an issue.

Advice to Management

Although it is a numbers based game. Don't loose your heart. Could do a better job of supporting employees towards advancement and success.

"What once was a great company is no longer...."

Former Employee - Regional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Senior Lifestyle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Senior LifeStyle for over 6 years; in the beginning, I was sure I had found the best company. Lots of encouragement for growth; great leadership at the home office and a culture that cared. I honestly cannot list any pros after the last 1.5 years of working there; which is very unfortunate.

Cons

A company that had a vision for growth and was poised with the right leadership to do so; didn't execute well. The great leadership left or was let go and those that came in their place were no where near the caliber of who was there previously. Benefits continued to be no cut; and once I found another company, I realized there are better benefit packages out there. Inconsistency with the new acquisition properties made it difficult to help manage them through the onboarding - the benefits were not the same; many variances. Those in the field trying to make it better were often left frustrated with no great advice or follow through. Training needs completely revamped.

Advice to Management

There are still some great people that work at this organization. Please evaluate those in some of the positions that are driving good employees away from the organization- especially at the VPO level. Take these reviews and use them to change. I know there are reviews from all levels of employees- but from the management and regional level- please rethink your strategy and remember at the end of the day- you need people who care to make sure the residents are getting what they need and deserve. This is a people business and I believe the "people" part has been lost.