Senior Living Residences Reviews

Updated May 4, 2021

3.5
Senior Living Residences President Robert Larkin (no image)
Robert Larkin
  1. 5.0

Love working with SLR

May 4, 2021 - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Farmington, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Work Life Balance Helping make a difference for residents and their families Great leadership Job Growth

Cons

No cons! If you don’t like a family environment or dedication, this is not the job for you.

2. 5.0

Great Company Leading with Integrity

Jan 29, 2021 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

SLR prioritizes it's Right Values in everything that it does. I have felt so supported personally and professionally not only by my peers, but also by our President and EVP. I feel privileged to be a part of an organization that is guided by doing the right thing. SLR has always felt like a place that takes a collaborative approach to decision-making and creating policies. SLR allows its associates to take ownership for their roles and leaves space for associates to share best practices, ideas, and feedback. This is especially true during the pandemic. SLR has given voice to associates and management teams to determine our best courses of action in caring for our residents and one another. I have been in awe of the extraordinary leadership and culture created within each of the SLR communities.

Cons

There is no doubt that the Senior Living industry can be an emotional and sometimes exhausting field to work in, especially during a global pandemic. But, I am invigorated by the care and compassion that the teams bring to work every single day and the positive culture created in the environments to care for the residents.

Partner, EVP

We so appreciate your powerful endorsement of our company's values and culture. We could not be more proud of our amazing associates across our 17 assisted living communities. They have given their heart and souls this past year to providing the very best care for our residents and keeping them safe. Our collaborative way of working is based on our deep respect for our associates on the front lines who have a wealth of expertise and knowledge to share. We have always sought them out and incorporated their suggestions into our policies. That's a best practice that has worked for us for the past 30 years we have been in business. It has resulted in achieving our #1 Right Value - enhancing quality of life for the residents who live in our communities. Thank you for all YOU do for your residents, and our company.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worst experience

Jan 26, 2021 - Nurse in Farmington, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job work load was on point, pay was on point.

Cons

I was fired and wasn't even through training. Have to ask, who fires a nurse during a pandemic when there is not enough staff to take care of residents and they are looking for nurses in almost every location? I had a manager make up a lie about me telling the ED I said something to her. To this day im not sure what I said. The management had no interest in finding the truth which would of been easy since there was an aid there during the entire interaction. Crazy experience. Beware

Partner, EVP

I am sorry your time with our company did not work out and we wish you well in your future endeavors. I can't speak to the specifics concerning your time with us due to confidentiality laws aimed at protecting current and past employees. But, I would like to let people know about our policy concerning when new employees are simply not the right fit which happens from time to time. New associates are required to successfully complete a 90-day introductory orientation period. The purpose of this period is to orient associates to their new job and work environment. Sometimes either the new associate or their supervisor is dissatisfied during this orientation timeframe; in either case the employment may be terminated without notice or prior disciplinary action.

4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Short Staffed

May 4, 2021 - Director of Dining Services in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing intresting to share about SLR

Cons

Low pay Short staffed everyday.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Feel-good job, but high stress and low pay

Feb 18, 2021 - Programming Assistant in Methuen, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rewarding work, can be very fun working directly with the elderly

Cons

High stress, low reward. Very low salary and no opportunities to earn more. Not great as a full time job as the salary is not sustainable if you live independently.

Partner, EVP

Thank you for your candid review, as well as for your excellent work and dedication to the residents at your community. Although we do often promote from within resulting in a salary boost, we haven't had a formal "manager in training program" - until now. Our training specialist is developing one, and we intend to roll it out this year. In the meantime, we are offering leadership training for associates who show an interest in advancing, and we also conduct in-service trainings regularly at communities for associates to learn more and develop their skills. You mentioned high stress - it certainly has been a stressful year in the assisted living industry as our staff have been on the frontlines of the covid pandemic taking care of the most vulnerable population. Thank you for hanging in there - we are so proud of all of our associates!

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don’t work here.

Jul 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Always out for money without regard for employees or residents Forces CNAs to take on WAY more than their job description Allows residents to be neglected Disrespectful towards their employees, clearly looks down on people “at the bottom of the totem pole” Refuses to address issues especially if it costs them money

1 person found this review helpful

President/CEO

I think your negative review in the middle of a pandemic is unfair. We are not out for money. During 2020 we paid additional "hero pay" for our CNAs, and we NEVER neglected our residents. We bent over backwards to keep everyone safe while continuing to provide top notch care for our residents under difficult circumstances. I agree with you that at Methuen Village (and all of our other communities) we leaned on our entire team to do more than their job description when we had employees out sick whose shifts we had to cover, residents we were taking care of who had Covid, extra cleaning we had to do, and state requirements to close dining rooms and deliver meals to every apartment. I am SO proud of how our entire SLR family pulled together to get through this tough year and to do what was necessary to help our residents AND each other! You clearly did not feel the same and I hope you landed at a job you like better.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Company Invested in Professional Development Opportunities

Nov 18, 2019 - Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had the ability to attend a Certified Dementia Practitioner training through SLR. It was so impressive to see the amount of knowledge that our staff members have about the disease process and to be able to grow professionally though this experience. I appreciate the way that SLR invests in me as an associate and as a person to continue learning and giving back to those that we serve.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

Partner, EVP

We are so grateful you took the time to highlight one of our many opportunities for associates to grow their knowledge and professional skills. The Certified Dementia Practitioner training is something we offer to all associates, not just managers, because we view everyone at SLR as a skilled and ambitious professional and truly want to invest in their future.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Value & Integrity

Nov 7, 2019 - Assistant Executive Director in Berlin, Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for SLR, at Cornerstone at Canton, now for 2 months the support, training and family feel as been outstanding. The commitment, time and resources that SLR puts into their general orientation for all levels of the company is second to none. This is a company that values its associates right from the start and wants them to develop and succeed

Cons

There is no "con" for SLR

Partner, EVP

Thank you for your review! We place a tremendous emphasis on our training programs, starting with our 3-day orientation, to help associates hit the ground running to provide the very best care for the residents who live in our assisted living communities. Rigorous training at the outset also reinforces our company culture of teamwork and open communication where every associate is respected and valued, has a voice, and is encouraged to make suggestions to improve company-wide procedures and develop new innovations.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

SLR lives by those values

Aug 26, 2019 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family culture in a company for me is huge. Being able to work alongside the Partners and learning from their expertise in the industry is one of greatest advantages of SLR. My own boss and I have the best relationship. She offers endless support, advice and guidance to steer me in the right direction - not just with my day to day responsibilities but in life too. With endless opportunities to grow my skills, I feel that SLR really does value their associates.

Cons

If you don't engage in what SLR offers to their associates, you will miss out on grand opportunities in life.

President/CEO

Thanks for your feedback! We try hard here at SLR to bring along new associates so they get up to speed quickly, have confidence, and feel free to contribute their ideas and talents. We encourage people to reach outside of their comfort zone to stretch and learn new skills and take on additional responsibilities. You have 100% bought into our culture! We believe we have THE best team in the assisted living industry. We are a group of people who support and challenge each other striving every day to do right by our associates at the communities we manage and the residents we serve. We couldn't do it without associates like you.

10. 5.0

SLR Provides Opportunities to Learn and Grow

Aug 21, 2019 - Marketing/Communications in Braintree, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

At SLR I am given the opportunity to try new things and to interact with a variety of professionals in different departments who have really become my mentors. - They value and promote a positive work/life balance - You are given opportunities for continuing professional education - Great benefits SLR truly takes the time to make sure their associates are valued, heard, and on a career path that works for them. If you are looking to work for a company the practices what they preach - look no further!

Cons

I don't have any complaints!

President/CEO

Thanks so much for your review. It's gratifying to me and our entire senior leadership team to hear from our colleagues that we are doing things right, especially with our new associates.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews