Sensata Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sensata Technologies President and CEO Martha Sullivan
Martha Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance (in most departments) (in 19 reviews)

• People are great here and they genuinely care about you as a person (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Development from Day One!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a large global company, Sensata doesn't make you feel like you're just another cog in a wheel. I've been given the unique opportunity to have some real autonomy in my role. I've been able to stretch myself beyond my comfort level and as a result, developed skills I never realized I had. I also love the fact that although I'm in a non-technical role, I collaborate frequently with our engineers here. Because of that, I'm exposed to a whole new perspective and that kind of diversity of thought is quite rewarding. The people I have gotten to work with are really good at what they do, and make me want to continue to grow and challenge myself.

Cons

The notion of running lean and sometimes having to be 'all hands on deck' all of the time, can be a bit challenging. While we are a large global company and still growing, sometimes resources feel a bit limited and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. If you aren't hardworking and don't want to be challenged, this isn't the environment for you.

2. "Sensata is a strong company, with a lot of benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team dynamics. There is very good work/life balance and flexibility. It is a dynamic and challenging environment, but one that allows you to succeed and rewards for it.

Cons

None to note right now.

3. "Challenging and Fast Paced Environment"

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

Fast paced, challenging projects - great people who are dedicated to getting the work done with high quality - able to learn and participate in projects outside your normal area of scope for development - flexible work environment to allow you to balance family and work - great benefits and time off - leaders really care about who you are and what your career goals are

Cons

Lots of hands involved (good and bad) as sometimes things can slow down, but there is the positive to that ensuring we are making the right decisions - over abundance of work for some teams - very lean staffing within the company - keep lines of communication open between teams to allow for the right priorities to get worked on

Advice to Management

Understand that in an innovative environment that is driving change, it takes time to be creative. Balance creativity with deadlines and timelines and employees will rise to the occasion and do amazing things. Always keep your ears and eyes open to the employee thoughts as they are the engine behind the machine. Don't stop challenging employees to be their best selves - it allows them to grow and develop!

"Bottom line focus at the expense of employees"

Former Employee - Analyst in Attleboro, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Attleboro, MA

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate campus, global organization, female CEO

Cons

Benefits are expensive, culture is segmented, recently acquired groups are not well integrated, management is penny wise but pound foolish

Advice to Management

You have good people don't lose them to save a buck

5. "Good company, great outlook, areas for improvement"

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

1) People are great here and they genuinely care about you as a person
    2) Collaborative environment, work between the departments is generally easy
    3) Easy to believe in the mission of creating a safer, cleaner, more efficient environment
    4) Flexible work locations. While this does depend on your actual job/boss, I've had the opportunity to work from home as needed.
    5) Cafeteria food is good. This may seem like a small pro- but it's so important.
    6) We have a female CEO who is very engaged with the employees
    7) I've learned so much from my colleagues and managers since being here. This experience has been invaluable.

Cons

1) Benefits are not the best, life insurance request denied on a spouse for a very odd reason, 401k match could be better
    2) Management can be dismissive of new ideas if they don't understand it, without showing a desire to understand it. The silver lining here is that direct supervisors are supportive and help to fight for what's right.

Advice to Management

1) Be transparent
    2) Be respectful - Actions speak louder than words
    3) Invest in your employees - a little goes a long way
    4) Be present, be actively involved
    5) Show a desire to learn something new, be willing to be uncomfortable, take risks

6. "Program Manager"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

Work time flexibility is available

Cons

Not many career development opportunities.

7. "Mechanical Engineering Summer Intern Review"

Pros

- People are friendly and helpful to work with
    - Overall good internship experience

Cons

- Experience for interns varies from project to project, so you might not be getting into what you think you're getting into
    - I didn't learn as much technically as I had wanted to

"Don't expect much"

Current Employee - Process Engineering Technician in Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Process Engineering Technician in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lot of freedom, flexible schedule

Cons

Low raises, demeaning attitude from superiors

Advice to Management

Respect those who work for you

9. "Good first job"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Attleboro, MA

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities, very strong engineering community, with chances to work on a wide range of products with colleagues from many different backgrounds. I gained a lot of valuable experience very quickly coming out of school.

Cons

Rapidly changing priorities, unclear plan to reach long-term goals, very risk adverse and focused on "me too" innovation strategy. Frequent management turnover leads to emphasis on short-term financial gains, regardless of long-term outcomes. Tools and processes are designed with one business unit in mind, and others are forced to use them regardless of whether they are efficient or effective.

Advice to Management

Find a long-term strategy that everyone can commit to (product/industry focused, not just financial statistics) and be willing to take a risk on promising, new solutions.

10. "Old School Management Philosophy"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Attleboro, MA

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start your initial career and learn engineering problem solving skills, lots of opportunity to make improvements. Fast paced with high expectations for driving results and some strong engineering people to learn from.

Cons

Old School GE management philosophy, still uses forced ranking even though they say its been eliminated and you will be evaluated based upon the merit of your individual results, so politics is rampant. Highly matrixed organizational structure that awards managers for achieving business metrics regardless of how its accomplished and use of demeaning management styles.

Advice to Management

Keep driving that stock price for yourselves and shareholders in the short term instead of working to build a long term innovative business team with autonomy. Your forgetting that your an engineering company.