Sensata Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sensata Technologies President and CEO Martha Sullivan
Martha Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance (in most departments) (in 19 reviews)

• Couple that with great people, it's a winning solution (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at times difficult but generally open for solutions (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue what they are doing (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A professional and collaborative workplace"

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

I have recently joined the team at Sensata Technologies. I noticed some job postings on Indeed which prompted me to seek more information about the company. I reviewed postings from LinkedIn and I was impressed with the video testimonials from the employees. When I was interviewing I received feedback from the interviewers that employees are empowered and encouraged to pursue further training and development. During the interviewing process all employees that I interacted with demonstrated professionalism, collaboration, and integrity. Two employees I interviewed with had been with the company more than 30 years, and one employee had more than 20 years of service. The interview process was efficient and fast with the employment offer two weeks after my application.

Cons

I was not familiar with Sensata until I came across some job openings and began researching about the company. Sensata is a large employer that produces sensors and controls used in many different industries and applications. For such a prestigious and successful company the Sensata brand name should be more recognized.

Advice to Management

Hold the course and keep sponsoring employee empowerment, learning and development.

2. "ok company"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

I learned a lot while I worked there.

Cons

401k match only if a good year

3. "Great people and teams overloaded by short term focus"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

Individuals and teams are generally passionate about being successful. There are pockets of fantastic management and genuine care for team members. High performance is recognized and further challenged, however the bar for average performance is very high. Global opportunities exist if so desired. Company financial performance is top tier for the industry. Weathered the economic downturn better than most competitors and grew stronger because of it.

Cons

Rarely feels like a "good year" despite plenty of cash generation due to barely realistic revenue and EPS growth targets. This leads to micromanagement of current year financial performance and diverts attention from the long term. Forced performance ratings with a high caliber team lead to disappointment, pay for performance philosophy has been abandoned. Some horrible management goes unaddressed as team members don't know where to turn for help. Benefits consistently declined since IPO in the name of being competitive, despite strong financial performance. Organization structure has not kept pace with the growth intentions of the company, although recent changes suggest this is slowly being addressed. In the interim, scope creep of roles is leading to burnout.

Advice to Management

You have an incredibly talented team, down to your newest hires. Recognize them. It doesn't have to be financial. They have delivered amazing results in the face of challenge after challenge. Don't leave it up to middle management to do this in a grassroots campaign, because they are stretched too thin. Numerous managers want to do the right thing yet are bogged down by fighting fires instead. Make recognition a priority which is encouraged and measured. Encourage team building. Budget for it. It's cheap. You ask your team for exceptional performance, and they deliver time and time again Commit to showing them exceptional support in return.

Figure out a way to hire the teams you want in a faster time frame. Benchmark other organizations and make it happen. Too many people get stretched to cover gaps which turn into long term responsibility changes without any substantial recognition. Typically those who stretch suffer performance setbacks as their scope has changed without removing anything from their plate. This results in a negative feedback loop.

Get actionable feedback instead of polite responses in roundtable sessions. Don't dance around engagement survey results; highlight them to all levels and commit to addressing the gaps. Update the team quarterly on progress toward that commitment.

"Will fire you weeks later if they see fit Don’t leave a good job to work for an employer who could care less"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria in building. Location. If you’re an experienced engineer you will not advance into a management position. Nothing else really

Cons

Your manager will throw you under the bus and you will be fired weeks after being hired. No questions asked. Make sure you document everything and form immediate relationships with supervisors or managers other than your manager so you have others to vouch for you. Said part is Human Resources is infamous for this and yet they supposedly specialize in personnel

Advice to Management

Teach your managers how to manage. Firing a person after 6 weeks of employment without them having any inclination is wrong, unethical and shows you truly could care less that you are sending people into possible homelessness because of your managers carelessness. People leave good jobs to work for you, to only be fired weeks later without even a conversion

"Company cannot adapt after acquisition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wasn't micromanaged in my department. Nice area to be in. Can get along with the people and develop relationship, only at the TO site, not their headquarters.

Cons

High turnover especially after the acquisition. Management does not seem to care to retain a good employee no matter how many years or good work you put in.

Advice to Management

Should of knew what you were getting into acquiring your competition. Especially dealing with ITAR data. You would of saved yourself and the former company lost time and frustration if you would of moved along.

6. "A horrible self centred, cold senior management"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits for NA are better than average other than that I have nothing good to say about this toxic company

Cons

Sensata is a toxic company
    They grow by IP acquisition and kill the cultures in the companies they purchase and therefore ultimately lose the skill sets within those companies

The Far East team seems to be riddled with corruption and senior management ignore the evidence and actively push aside and out, the whistle blowers

Advice to Management

You need a senior management clear out starting at the top
    Some of your team are totally unethical especially in APAC

7. "Sensata is a strong company, with a lot of benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team dynamics. There is very good work/life balance and flexibility. It is a dynamic and challenging environment, but one that allows you to succeed and rewards for it.

Cons

None to note right now.

8. "Sensata review"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Springfield, TN
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Springfield, TN

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have excellent benefits that are much better than most employers.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited; or at least in my circumstance.

"Future Unclear"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

Knowledgeable and caring managers, supervisors, and employees. Newer facility in nice location. The 4/10 schedule is beneficial for commuting and work/life balance.

Cons

Compensation, health benefit plan, bonus plan, and holiday schedule are not competitive to industry standards in the area. Thinning of workforce has created unmanageable workloads in some departments, which may lead to burnout.

Advice to Management

Address compensation and health benefit shortcomings. Fully evaluate impact on departments and production expectations before eliminating positions.

"Mechanical Design Engineer"

I worked at Sensata Technologies full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Nice people.

Cons

As an engineer, marginal room for advancement on business side.