Sensiba San Filippo Reviews | Glassdoor

John D. Sensiba

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time

Pros

People, vision, clients, and opportunity

Cons

Communication from management to staff could be more timely

2. "So much opportunity!"

Current Employee - Audit Senior
    Current Employee - Audit Senior

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SSF has provided me and my peers so many opportunities to grow technically and professionally. It’s a very demanding job but SSF compensates fairly and my managers/partners recognize hard work with spot bonuses, and even more imprortantly, opportunities to accelerate my career and be rewarded for it. Align yourself with the right people to be mentored, to be advocated for, and to help you navigate your professional life at SSF. The firm is growing and if you put in the work and prove your worth, there’s lots of room to move up.

Cons

Individuals are expected to meet “charge hour goals” despite these hours not actually representing hours billed to clients (due to fixed fees). This system disincentivizes people to make efforts towards marketing/prospecting, recruiting, training and other value-add activities. However, individuals are also expected to have “high realization” on a job by job basis which incentivizes people to hide hours incurred on a job. I know that some management understands this fundamental issue and is working to come up with better, less counterintuitive performance metrics.

3. "SSF is an amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are treated really well and with respect. Good compensation and benefits, good learning tracks, management is fair and getting better.

Cons

Sometimes management is slow to let poor performing individuals go. Hanging on to poor performers makes it hard for those who work with them. It's hard to terminate people from the firm but sometimes it's better for them and others who remain.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Wanna ruin your career and dreams? Join SSF"

I worked at Sensiba San Filippo full-time

Pros

Offered lunch during busy season at every office, have a decent coffee machine in working condition, have water supply.

Cons

1) They USE people like slaves during busy season and fire at random after busy season, sighting budget constraints as the reason. They won't pay your fair dues while firing.
    2) Management lies to you sighting poor performance to "we hired more than we need at this time" to using positive qualities negatively while firing and without any notice
    3) They will come back to these reviews (as they have a marketing team that does this) to save their rear and state that "we're sorry the candidate had such an experience and that we use many parameters while making these decisions". I have proof to back up my performance (was commended in email and verbally by at least 4 managers and 2 seniors).
    4) They make you slog (look at a minimum of 65 hours to 70 hours) in busy season without the slightest hint that they expect more from you (cos they need you that time) and later use random reason to fire people. If you can work these hours, why not try the Big 4 or other better firms unless you have the ability to suck up to the management and can get away with anything you want??
    5) If you can play the favorite card, you can still think of surviving in this environment, else be prepared to be hunted down by the sharks that are sitting out there and wanting to hunt you down if they feel insecure
    6) Currently, the atmosphere in this organization is filled with mistrust, hatred and frustration among employees (they do an eye-wash by asking employees to write "anonymous" review but don't believe them) as efforts are not rewarded and only favorites make it (not hard working folks but those that can suck up)
    7) I can go on, but hope the above is enough to help you make your decision.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do and hope you will be out of business as your resources are going to vanish soon.

Jun 11, 2018 – Manager, Human Resources

We are sorry that you didn't have a better experience and we sincerely wish you well.

5. "Friendly environment"

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time

Pros

The company's culture and people are overall very great. Management actively tries to improve the culture and make things work with an employee. Benefits are good and people look to make friends with one another.

Cons

The work is unrewarding and due to busy season, you lose 1/3 of each year. I don't have direct experience so I can't guarantee it, but I would imagine SSF busy season is still better than that of a Big 4 company.

"Great firm, poor leadership"

I worked at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology so staff can work from anywhere. Seasonal hours can be long, but this is the profession- the hours are better here than most other firms. Good group of clients. Great co-workers. Kitchens are well-stocked, healthy snacks.

Cons

Partners seem to be checked out and not interested in bringing in business or mentoring to grow managers. Flexibility is stated, but hard to come by depending on who you are working for. HR cannot maintain confidentiality, only represents management and is not an advocate for staff. Managers are hand-cuffed and not able to make decisions. A 'committee' makes the decisions as to the direction of the firm whether realistic or not because buy-in is not sought out. If you are "IN the circle, you'll do fine. The Golden Rule is part of the value system, but it is certainly not consistently applied.

Advice to Management

There are some definite problems among partners who lack the desire or skill set to grow their staff. The firm is turning into a lot like high school, popularity contest. Sad to see the loss of some great people.

Feb 5, 2018 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We can't learn and get better without it. I'm glad to know you were happy with our technology, your co-workers and our stocked kitchens. We get... More

7. "Extremely accommodating, ensure their people are happy in their role!"

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique culture, friendly & encouraging coworkers, fun events regularly, growth opportunities

Cons

Nothing that you wouldn't find in any other work environment, however, SSF goes above and beyond to ensure that their employees and clients are satisfied.

Sep 5, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

We are so pleased to know that we have provided an environment and work experience that you enjoy!

8. "Great place to learn"

I have been working at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SSF is great place to learn and grow your accounting and project management skills. The pay is very competitive and the benefits are great as well. The best aspect of SSF is the people. I've made lasting relationships with so many of my coworkers and have had the best team work experiences.

Cons

The biggest con is the work/life balance. Depending on the department/team you work in the hours can be pretty demanding. Busy season is to be expected in public accounting, but staff members are pretty regularly having to work 6 days a week and 10+ hours a day to get through their work load through the summer and fall. As a result the burnout rate is pretty high. And since this is a service industry you can pretty much count on client needs being prioritized over employee needs.

Advice to Management

Employees who feel they are the priority will lead to happy clients. The shift of putting clients over employees is beginning to cause resentment in the ranks.

Sep 21, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review. We're happy to know that you find our compensation and benefits to be great! Yay! We work very hard to provide our amazing staff with an equally amazing total rewards... More

9. "Work Environment"

Pros

Good food and drink, updates made frequently

Cons

too many offices, hard to get to know people in other offices

Sep 21, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

We're happy to know that you're enjoying some of the many perks offered at SSF. As we grow, so does the challenge of maintaining that "small firm, family feel." This is why we continue to hold our... More

"SSF is a sham and a racist company"

I worked at Sensiba San Filippo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No talent
    Lack of direction
    Fake
    Manipulative
    Squeeze both clients and employees to fill the pockets of partners

Cons

SSF take their clients for a ride. They dont treat their staff well. They have inflated egos and dont like to hear the truth.

Advice to Management

You guys deserved to be out of business. You guys lack talent and fake. The clients and the industry knows it!

Aug 3, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

We are sorry that this former employee feels this way and have looked into the comments made. SSF just received the results of our first third-party Client Satisfaction survey which resulted in a... More