Sensient Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Paul Manning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Sensient offers great opportunities for growth, pay and benefits" (in 13 reviews)

• "Good pay provides uniforms and boots" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "no work-life balance; pace not sustainable, but good for experience" (in 12 reviews)

• "Dress code is business formal, even in the laboratory" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Continuous Improvement - Leaders of innovation and product safety"

Current Employee - Product Safety Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Safety Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sensient is a fast paced, structured environment where innovation and continual improvements are not only supported but sought after. It’s cross functional teams allow them to make huge improvements from work flow to processing to business decisions. If you are self motivated and driven this is the environment for you. I enjoy working for a team that focuses on being a world leader and allows you to direct your own path. They not only take care of their employees and customers w leading processes and plans, they are socially responsible with their agricultural and supply chain programs. I have learned a tremendous amount in the last 10 yrs and am excited about our future.

Cons

No cons from my experiences. All jobs have ups and downs.

Advice to Management

Continue the innovation and supporting continual improvement.

"Good learning and growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to develop oneself if you're up for it. It is demanding. You are expected to know your job and contribute, so any person more passive in nature will probably not do well. Taking initiative is encouraged and any/every action is always results-driven. Development-wise, there are always opportunities to relocate, to move to different company divisions or to different departments within a division; on the other hand, if you are comfortable in a certain position you can grow your expertise there, as long as you continue to do what is expected of you. The company also has an ongoing High Potential Employee program. Core, non-negotiable values: 1) Be honest, 2) never compromise on quality, 3) behave and dress professionally.

Cons

There is an historical negative perception, in some cases with reason; however, having witnessed changes from within, I believe the company is heading in the right direction. There will always be things to improve. As results are expected, some people might feel intimidated, so that might be perceived as negative. I don't agree with that. If you're a high-performer you'll do well.

"Senior Manager"

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time

Pros

Sensient is a wonderful company to work for because of four distinct reasons,
    1. Entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged
    2. Very flat structure
    3. A+ players are rewarded
    4. Independence in decision making at most levels

It is also a fair place to work for because of three simple rules to follow,
    1. Professionalism
    2. Integrity
    3. Employee & food safety

Cons

Rapid transformation in last four years

"Amazing opportunity for hard working people"

I worked at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individual and team results are visible at the highest level, and rewarded. Those willing to role up their sleeves to ensure success will be successful. Promotional opportunities and career growth are plentiful Don't expect to delegate and sit back while others do the work. Those that work hard and take responsibility will be rewarded. While bonus plans are not as prevalent as other companies, this is typically made up in greater base pay.

Cons

Sometimes operates too lean for the expectations.

"Hope you have your passport ready?"

Current Employee - New Product Development
    Current Employee - New Product Development

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time

Pros

Truly an international company. I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world meeting colleagues and customers alike in my technical role over the last 8 years.
    There is a culture to always find the cutting edge and commercial advantage, which has given me the chance to work on some truly exciting and varied projects. No day as ever felt the same.
     There is a strong encouragement to communicate and share knowledge with colleagues in our many laboratories, production sites and offices all over the world. This has given me an amazing global view in my area of expertise. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing my work being used all over the globe. A deeply satisfying experience.
    I’ve always found if I prove my worth within the company, there is support, guidance and encouragement to grow my skills.

Cons

Don't expect to sit around idle. When you show you're able and willing they will keep piling on the opportunities to keep proving yourself.

Advice to Management

The dress code is a little over bearing.

"On The Right Track"

Current Employee - Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sensient is a company with strong core technical capability in Flavors and Fragrances. The company's leadership is strongly committed to core values I align with - food safety/people safety, integrity and professionalism. Leadership also believes in accountability, and is willing to make difficult decisions in order to put those values in action. Sensient is big enough to support structure and process, yet small enough to get your arms around and impact positive change in support of the company's strategy and goals. Action-oriented culture. A good place for people who like to make things happen (and not a good place for people who want to wait to see which way the wind is blowing).

Cons

Not much openness to working from home. Business formal dress code. Many business processes are still in their infancy - organizational maturity going in the right direction, but still some growing pains ahead of us.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on growing the topline, customer responsiveness and building organizational excellence. Consider more flexible working arrangements for employees - the next generation of top talent is willing to work "anywhere, anywhen" and they will give the company more when trusted and empowered with flexibility than they would ever have given in a strict "in the office, 9-5, Monday - Friday" expectation. We'll get a better talent pool and get more out of them if we trust and empower them. Flexible work arrangement is a key part of getting top talent and setting them up to deliver at their top level.

7. "Best Place I Have Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time

Pros

Everyone that I work with is respectful, accountable and kind. This is the first place I have been where employees are treated with the utmost regard. Management goes out of there way to make sure you are happy and have everything you need to succeed. They spend a lot of time and effort on providing employees with the best benefits, opportunities, and motivations to make work enjoyable and help you achieve your professional goals. Management places a high value on properly training their employees to help ensure their success.

One of the greatest features about working for Sensient is the opportunity to move around based on your interests and career aspirations. Many places do have the means or foresight to offer this.

Cons

Strict Dress Code - to me, this is not a con because I enjoy looking my best. For some, the business professional dress code might be an adjustment but completely worth it to be able to work with business professional people.

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for the opportunity to work at a place that understands their employees are what make a company. I believe this is why Sensient has been so successful.

"Great place to work if you want a career or stability"

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, flexible and positive environment. Great leadership that actually cares about their employees. You get to make immediate impact to the business, pending you actually want to work. Great industry and people!

Cons

Need more restaurants options near the facility. Bonus eligibility needs to be granted deeper in the organization as most have contributed to the overall success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work by empowering the hard working employees and giving them a chance to succeed. Keep providing stability in their careers. Not many companies these days offer that stability.

9. "If you are looking for a growth opportunity - Sensient is for you!!"

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow at Sensient. If you express interest in an area/project at the company, managers and HR support your involvement. Company encourages employees to complete an Individual Development Plan for the next 5 years of their career, and managers want to support employee opportunities. The people are very friendly and there are lots of talented people to network with. HR is onsite and very accessible for questions. Overall, I look forward to going into work!!

Cons

It would be nice if female healthcare was more thoroughly covered....

Advice to Management

Please consider your millennial employees!!

"New to Company - Fantastic Onboarding Process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onboarding - Just started with the company in their corporate headquarters. Their onboarding process exceeded all my expectations. My new manager meets with me daily as I get up to speed, set up meetings with all functional and regional leaders, and has introduced me to just about everyone else here at corporate. As a new employee this has helped the transition to a new company immensely and has set me up for success in my new role.

Cons

No cons to note, still new to the Company.