Sensient Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

4.0
Paul Manning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Sensient offers great opportunities for growth, pay and benefits" (in 10 reviews)

• "Fast paced and dynamic and never boring" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "no work-life balance; pace not sustainable, but good for experience" (in 13 reviews)

• "Strict Dress Code - to me, this is not a con because I enjoy looking my best" (in 21 reviews)

"Big enough to have a ton of opportunities, small enough for top management to see high performers at every level."

Current Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Quick rewards for results, both financially and professionally.
    Great products.
    Action oriented, driven by high level of individual ownership and initiative.
    A persons results are more important then typical office politics.
    Truly global business, where pretty much everyone outside of production employees get to interact with multiple cultures.
    Well defined strategy.

Cons

It’s fast paced, not a place to ‘retire on the job’ but if you want to perform at your best and be recognized for your results there really aren’t any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on results and promoting from within.

"Great opportunity for my career"

Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Unit Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sensient is one of the few employers I have known that successfully walks the fine line of challenging you to be accountable for your results, while coaching you along the path to that success.

My onboarding experience was unique; I have worked for both large and medium-sized corporations, and Sensient is the rare company that outlines a cross-functional training program, supported by leadership patience while I learn the ropes. Having completed my training, I feel as though I have been given the opportunity to collaborate and create my dream job.

Cons

I'm hard-pressed to find something negative about my new employer.

Advice to Management

Our leaders should continue to expect the best performance of their employees, while providing the principled environment that supports the effort required to succeed.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed at Sensient for a number of years and have witnessed the evolution of the company to what it is today. This is an exciting, diverse company, with opportunities locally, throughout the United States, and worldwide. If you are looking for a company that will respect you as an individual, provide you every opportunity to succeed, and reward you for your accomplishments, then Sensient is the place for you.

Cons

No cons come to mind

4. "Great pay , poor leadership"

Former Employee - Chemical Operator II in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Chemical Operator II in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sensient Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, 401 k

Cons

Terrible training, poor organization, poor communication from lead workers, some night supervisors don't know their jobs and only have the positions because they have an engineering degree. Certain departments are more complex but pay the same as easier and less complex departments

Advice to Management

Better training is needed especially in departments that are more complex than others. Also better communication is needed in these departments to prevent workers from landing in situations that cause write ups that could have been prevented had someone(lead worker) communicated better on a particular day or night and that subsequently puts workers in positions to be terminated as a result when it's not their fault. Also the company should hire night supervisors that actually know the job and don't ALWAYS tell the workers to call the day manager when confronted with issues they know absolutely nothing about.

"Overall Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The company promotes from within if you are a good performers
    - Compensation is very good, although major raises only with promotions
    - Good internal communication on strategy
    - A lot of different opportunities to develop your career since they have a lot of business units

Cons

- As a public company, short term moves sometimes carry the day

Advice to Management

Invest more in marketing

"Great Place to Work, Lots of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Turlock, CA

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Wages could be better but if you are goal oriented and like learning new things and don't mind the shift work you could advance pretty quickly! Managers and Supervisors care about the business and want to improve all aspects including relationships between employees and managers. Great operations, planning and superb Human Resources team. Promote from within the company is a plus.

Cons

Working shifts, low starting wages and slow changing organizational culture. Too many temporary employees. Temporary employees are unreliable.

"Just a job."

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Amboy, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Amboy, IL

I have been working at Sensient Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent. Always seems to have one cool person at every tier of employee.

Cons

Asked to go above and beyond can be a understatement. Demanding and Frustrating at times. Not clear direction.

Advice to Management

Organize overhaul is needed*. Safety. Quality. Communication.

8. "Duck and Hide and you'll do just fine"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Drinks, Innovative Products & Science

Cons

Organization is a mess. Lots of Turnover, Good People leave frustrated by a lack of sincere change management. Bad People duck hide and survive. The Food Scientists that make this company great deserve better.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Difficult Culture"

I worked at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks in the kitchen

Cons

inflexible when it comes to supporting employees with disabilities, stuffy overly formal culture

Sensient Technologies Response

Jan 25, 2019 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

We take your feedback very seriously, as Sensient is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunity and reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. We encourage you to... More

"Freedom to Drive Continuous Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turlock, CA

I have been working at Sensient Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The separate business units within Sensient Technologies are run in a somewhat entrepreneurial fashion with lots of freedom to affect change within a BU. Excellent people with a wealth of knowledge helps keep everyone sane through the workload which I would rate as above average. The environment is fast paced but I view this as a positive as you get to wear many hats and learn different facets of the business. If you want to put on blinders and punch in and out doing the minimum to get by then this is not the place for you, but if you want the ability to help improve the organization, bring your ideas, and act on CI projects you will thrive in this environment.

Cons

High turnover in the line level workforce within production and the use of temps makes it difficult to drive engagement.

Advice to Management

The use of temps looks great in the short term due to the reduction in cost required, but I am of the opinion that the high turnover and most importantly the intangibles like the lack of engagement and the impact on the culture is detrimental to the business in the long term.