Sentara Healthcare Reviews in Woodbridge, VA | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sentara Healthcare CEO Howard P. Kern
Howard P. Kern

Pros
  • Great benefits, a large corporation overall with opportunities to move within the system to advance your career (in 36 reviews)

• Stable company with good benefits and a positive future of growth; lots of great co-workers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay for experience applicants (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is very low not only for the cost of living but also much lower than the national average (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sentara from an Admin Rep point of view."

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Woodbridge, VA

Pros

Close to home, great coworkers, very customer oriented.

Cons

Very regimented in dress code and compliance. Procedures outweigh time allotted for completion. Pay not comparable to other companies

Advice to Management

Comparable wages according to experience and education with other companies would reduce turn over rate.

2. "Nice people"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, nurses work hard and are pretty fairly compensated. I like my co-workers.

Cons

Healthcare package provided is not good. Seems to cater to those centered in southern Virginia.

Advice to Management

Please get us Blue Cross Blue Shield!!!! We need this!! Especially for those of us in Northern Virginia.

"ER new grads"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a new grad nurse and want exposure, this is the place for you because you get a lot of exposure to high acuity patients.

Cons

Nurse:patient ratio is unsafe. Management only cares about numbers not staff or patient safety. They do not have a good new grad program. They use new grads as warm bodies. Management allows charge nurses to use new grads as experienced RNs. No one seems to know or follow policy from CEO down to worker bees (they seem to make it up as they go along) and if someone brings it to managements attention, it gets brushed under the rug.

5. "The family atmosphere was lost when Sentara took possession of Potomac Hosp."

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be the teamwork and family nature of a community hospital. Care is fine and they have updraft D some of the equipment (3D mammograms). Full access to med rec Is also good.

Cons

All business. All about money. Removed psych. Removed Peds ward. A community hospital NEEDS psych nurses in an emergency room.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to your staff and patients.

6. "Don't work there"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are making a difference in somebody life

Cons

Lab at northern Virginia medical center is filled with nothing other than backstabbing
    Gossiping, unprofessional and nasty attitude staff , they will make you feel unwelcome your first day in addition to lack of knowledge they try to micromanage new employee and make them feel uvaluable. Management is weak and only care about themselves .
    Computer system is so complicated yet archaic.
    Staff focus on tiny negative things and a big dislike between different shift.
     Lack of communication and speaking is not allowed stabbing in the back is what goes around.
    Work load is high with short staff is every day challenge .
    No training available and they expect you to know every thing and no questions are welcome which make it stressful environment to work..
    Believe me never work there , it is not a good place for medical technologist , if you do write your negative reviews here to benifit others

Advice to Management

Communication and better management

"ED Tech at Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center"

Former Employee - ED Tech in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - ED Tech in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Self scheduling allows for great flexibiliy
    -Very good experience due to high patient volume
    -Roughest area in northern virginia so you get shootings and stabbings if you like that
    -Allowed ED Techs to do more than some other hospitals
    -Sentara is a great company with alot of resources

Cons

-Horribly understaffed
    -Frustrating for paramedics working as techs due to extremely narrow scope of practice vs what we are trained to do/do in other settings routinely
    -Lack of respect from RN's. Not all but definitely there. Paramedics have a larger scope of practice, more knowledge and are better trained for emergency medicine than RN's do. Some nurses were great and some just treated you like you were unskilled labor
    -Lots of people in the area don't have insurance so the ED become their primary care

Advice to Management

Allow Paramedics to operate as Paramedics in the ER. Let us Give meds/IO/Intubate etc. We are trained for this and do it on a regular basis, it's not a ridiculous idea. In a understaffed ER like this it seems wasteful and poor resource management to handicap certain employees who could greatly help. It wouldn't hurt the nurses either it would help them. They are swamped sometimes getting 5 or 6 ER patients at a time.

"Poor Commitment to Employment Continuity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

Pros

Bonuses (only obtained when hospital wide matrix goals are reached)

Cons

Salary, Employee retention, Benefits, Retirement contributions, Inexperienced staff training new hires, Food services (the worst in healthcare I have encountered), Limited supplies to cut costs, Employee opinions are interpreted as negative commentary and used during yearly reviews to justify a reduction or complete elimination of pay increase.

Advice to Management

Stand up for employee satisfaction

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great, but that's about it.

Cons

Administration is clueless and greed driven. The nurse:patient ratios are DANGEROUS! Nurses and NCPs get reprimanded for voicing concerns. Management only looks out for themselves and as long as their units look good on paper, that's all they care about.

Advice to Management

Spend some time on the units with your floor nurses before making your dangerous decisions to 'flex up'. Invest in your nurses and NCPs, we are the ones who make this hospital have any positive remarks. Ask yourselves why you cannot retain nurses and why you're always short staffed. It's because you burn out your staff, treat them poorly, punish them for silly things and put their licenses in jeopardy every single day they work.

Sentara Healthcare Response

Aug 1, 2014 – Team Coordinator, Recruitment

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience at Sentara Healthcare, we value ... More

10. "Sentara Healthcare has been a wonderful employer"

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sentara has a fresh and forward thinking philosophy that runs through everything we do. My co-workers are enthusiastic and leadership has an aggressive and well thought out plan for each step taken. It's exciting to see changes happen rapidly and patient care improve as everyone her cares.

Cons

Sentara is a little far from my home, but the daily drive is worth it.

11. "Great job if you like drama, gossip and lack of organization."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and steady hours. Easy job for the most part, a lot of openings if you want to transfer departments/learn other areas

Cons

High turnover, so short staffed that there is no disiplinary action for bad behaviors because they don't want to lose more staff, so everyone pretty much runs rampant and does what they want. No patient focus, unsafe practices and you will be worked to death trying to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Enforce policies, treat staff fairly and recognize the people who do well.