Sentinel Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Hoelzer

Pros
  • Always try to work with employees to ensure work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The defining principle of a Great Place to work, Sentinel Technologies (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is inadequate and more and more employees are leaving or are let go for little to no reason (in 3 reviews)

• Work life balance really depends on who you are within the company and what level of management (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Finally Found a Home"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the time I started to now, I have felt nothing but welcomed and appreciated. I have finally found a company with integrity, a family feel, and the support I have been looking for since I graduated college. I look at my manager as a Mentor and feel like I can go to anyone, even Executive level, for the tools I need for success. After just one year, Sentinel not only told me how much I was appreciated, but acted on it by promoting me to the next level. I can see a path here and want to call this place home for a long time.

Pros
    • Potential to grow
    • Management provides tools for success
    • Family oriented
    • Great teamwork
    • Appreciation for hard work
    • Always looking to grow and become better as a company

Cons

I think that an initial training class and manual explaining the internal processes would be very helpful. For most, it is easiest and most effective to learn from experience, especially since they are coming from a sales background. However, for some, it would ease some of the nerves in the beginning if they had a reference available to look back on, especially when going through the processes for the first time.

Advice to Management

Never stop listening to suggestions and keep up the good work!

Aug 31, 2016 – Administrator

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Sentinel thus far! First, congratulations on your promotion--we know the hard work and dedication it takes, and strive to ... More

"Great Company to Work For if you want a career!"

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

Through all aspects of the company you are given a chance to voice your ideas, share with others, and work with really smart people. It is very common for employees to start here fresh out of school and stay here for the remainder of their lives, that is great to be a part of. Another positive is it offers the benefits of a very large organization, but people care about you like a small family owned business would be run.

Cons

At this point I do not have any cons, as you have a career with a company, all companies have ups and downs and you will not always agree with your employer, however to be honest this company always works to fix any con you would have.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow always hold true to the values that have promoted this growth

"Perfect blend of professional and fun"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management and executive team genuinely care about the employees well being. I am one of many that have been with the company for over 10 years and have always felt that the company were on my side and wanted me to grow personally and professionally. They try to keep the family culture going with a company that is continuing to grow. Classic work hard play hard too

Cons

Business is business and sometimes decisions have to be made for the company well being that can't be helped. When it comes though I have seen Sentinel try to help out individuals as much as possible

Advice to Management

onsite company gym or some kind of game/relaxation room

"Solid Company"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good client focus. Great engineers.

Cons

Tough market they compete in with multiple Cisco partners..

Feb 13, 2017 – Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

"The Best Decision of My Professional Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Sentinel about 18 months and am extremely lucky to say I love my job. After graduation I worked for a large company where I was not fully utilizing my degree, so I took a chance and applied with Sentinel, and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Sentinel is not a typical work environment. My manager is truly a mentor to me, I can bounce ideas off her, ask her for guidance, receive real feedback, bring any questions/concerns/comments--it truly is an open dialogue between us that cultivates a very collaborative environment. This type of environment breeds trust between managers and their team, which in turn means employees have a lot of autonomy and are encouraged to think outside the box.

As simple as it sounds, what I appreciate most about Sentinel is that they say “thank you”. My manager is quick to compliment my work, thank me for my effort, thank me for a job well done, even just everyday tasks, she always goes out of her way to show she recognizes what I do & lets me know she appreciates it. Beyond my direct manager, managers and other employees across the company have gone out of their way to commend me for work I have done. From sending me an email, to stopping me in the hall, they have taken the time to say “good Job” and thank me for my contributions. It makes me feel both valued and appreciated. More than that, it makes me feel invested in Sentinel, I am not just a number or a face, I am an integral part of the team. When I look back at previous positions I held, I can’t really recall ever having an experience where managers were so in tune with their employees and really recognized their contributions the way I have experienced here.

The attributes I detailed above make me excited to come to work every day. Even on hard days or bad days, I know I have a whole support system here that is ready and willing to work with me to get the job done. Most companies strive to create the family atmosphere Sentinel has ingrained in their culture. I can already see the growth in my professional life, and look forward to continuing that growth and my career with Sentinel.

Cons

In terms of my position or work environment there are not any real "Cons" that stick out to me. I would suggest expanding programs such as "Rookie of the Quarter". It was really well received by the Sales team, so I think rolling it out to other departments would be awesome!

Advice to Management

Continue to show your appreciation to your employees-it really does mean a lot to us & creates a great environment!

"HR is a nightmare"

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

Some people that work there are great!
    If you are in the "in-crowd" you'll make a lot of money and be treated very well
    Benefits are pretty good

Cons

If you are a woman, be prepared to take a step backwards. The only career path available to you is as an administrative assistant or in HR.
    HR is mean. They are vindictive and will laugh at you if you come to them with a serious allegation or issue.

If you notice - any 1 or 2 star ratings are not taken seriously by management. They are argued with (my guess is by HR) and the poster's concerns are belittled.

There is no way this business will continue much longer. They are a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen. Minorities and women have no place in this company.

Advice to Management

stop discriminating and arguing with people when they bring issues to you. There are several people there who don't deserve their title and rank, yet they continue to lord it over others and make individual contributors miserable.

"Sentinel Technologies Review"

Former Employee - BDM
    Former Employee - BDM

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda is great! Also enjoy the vintage office chairs.

Starting out here is important to get on the right team - If you are part of the "swamp" then you can ride the wave and live large.

You can look forward to sitting in meetings that have some value or direction however you will learn more about all the latest about your vendors and past employees.

The marketing team is out of this world bursting with ideas! The brochures are from a vintage collection dating back to companies early years, your electronic copies are designed with word and best suited for a fax market to local elderly care facility directors.

Your manager will provide you with your " Sentinel Pitch" and ask for you to give it at any time. This will keep you ready for battle at any given time

( *Disclaimer* Some managers may not accurately give "The Pitch" )

Cons

Leadership has very poor control of the company branches and branch level management. The training is comparable to a set of IKEA instructions written in white ink.

Not a good choice for anyone that is looking to have dynamic experiences and broaden your skills, become part of "team" or long term employment.

No house accounts provided to new employees.

Project side of the company over works the technical guys most projects are riddled with problems, delays and customer satisfaction performance issues.

Unprofessional language, poor attitude towards women

My prediction is this company will be sold within the next 24 to 36 months.

Advice to Management

“Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility.”

Feb 22, 2017 – Administrator

We’re disappointed to hear your experience was not favorable. The description of your position as a ‘Business Development Manager’ is a bit confusing since that title does not exist at Sentinel ... More

"Awesome place to work"

Pros

Great people, excellent work environment, Challenging work and Training is provided and paid for.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep things going in a positive direction.

Sep 21, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Sentinel! We are happy to hear the “pros” you highlighted reflect some of the core principles we have established for the ... More

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

- Management truly wants to see you succeed and grow
    - I feel appreciated and valued by not only my boss, but other employees
    - Tons of growth potential if you put in the work
    - Family oriented environment.
    - When an issue needs to be escalated there's a mentality of "all hands on deck" to solve the problem for a customer.

Cons

There aren't a lot of cons that I can come up with at this point in time! I feel the company is moving in a positive direction and making great strides. Any of the issues that I might have had with the company are slowly being improved and I trust that management has everyone's best interest at heart. People that come in with an idea that they are deserving or entitled to certain things will not do well here. Upper management got to their position because they worked hard for it. Employees are expected to do the same.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing and Sentinel will continue making great strides!

Aug 19, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for sharing your experience as a Sales Executive with us! We strive to create a work environment that encourages creativity, fosters growth and rewards success; and are happy to hear these ... More

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Awesome place to work
    -Management is very supportive and listens to new ideas
    - Excellent family atmosphere
    - I plan on retiring at Sentinel

Cons

There are really no cons, that I can think of, it is a wonderful place to work. I hope to retire at Sentinel.

Advice to Management

I would ask management to keep ask doing what they are doing. They have been very customer centric for over 35 years. This is a great place to work. I am very thankful to work at Sentinel.

Aug 22, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for choosing to build your career with Sentinel! We are proud to have employees, like yourself, as examples of the growth & opportunities possible within our organization. We greatly ... More