Sentinel Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sentinel Technologies Reviews

Updated Oct 4, 2019

Found 94 reviews

3.6
Sentinel Technologies CEO Brian Osborne, Timothy Hill and Robert Lenartowicz (no image)
Brian Osborne, Timothy Hill and Robert Lenartowicz
Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance: Sentinel as a whole is very focused on family and(in 13 reviews)

• "The defining principle of a Great Place to work, Sentinel Technologies(in 7 reviews)

Cons

"Always looking out for the little people"

Current Employee - Advisor in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sentinel Technologies is an organization that has revolved over 36 years started from the roots and is now high on contentment, loyalty, and family focused. Management is always seen and in many ways focused on our well being. I will not lie, we have a good amount of work to do, but it's good work. We are not chasing our tails, we are "Always Leading". Hours are long, but they are appreciated and are seen as... productive. We have challenges as every other organization, but we front our challenges and work through them to make not only ourselves better, but our clients also.

Cons

The grass is not always greener on the other side. All companies are faced with cons, depending on the individual. If there is a negative, it is handled. If there are issues, they are taken care off. Management has many years of experience, I say it like the service "Lead, follow, or get out of the way. To me, No Con's.

Advice to Management

Don't stop being one of us, that is what makes good management. You are always taking to the little people.

Sentinel Technologies2019-03-20
  2. "Management makes a difference"

Current Employee - Wireless Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, benefits, potential to move up.

Cons

Ego's and mis appropriation of talent.

Sentinel Technologies2019-10-04

October 7, 2019Social Media and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Sentinel! We are glad you see the evident potential for growth within the company. We utilize reviews, such as yours to continue to grow ourselves. We pride ourselves on valuing everyone’s opinions and expertise in the workforce.

"Technologist"

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies

Pros

They preach that all employees are family

Cons

They lied about the family thing. Hostile workplace if you are ethical and of the wrong political persuasions. All about the money and the ridicule if you don’t agree.

Advice to Management

Hire professional managers the adhere to the principles that you preach.

Sentinel Technologies2019-08-13

"Worst company I’ve ever worked for"

I worked at Sentinel Technologies

Pros

Some of the other people working there

Cons

People working there who are part of “family “. They are treated above all other employees- and have no accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

Keep treating good employees with disrespect and they’ll keep flowing out the door.

Sentinel Technologies2019-06-17
  5. "Great company from the top down"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to anyone at the company for the most part when you need them. Ability to make a lot of money and for the most part run your own business.

Cons

Some of the systems are outdated but you learn to navigate them. They’re working on getting everything current.

Sentinel Technologies2019-03-17

"Shady"

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented engineers, industry standard pay, money for certifications but only when there is an immediate benefit for the company

Cons

Lack of integrity with both customers and employees. Very CYA, and blame is assigned to engineers for management mistakes. High turnover rate by very smart engineers who are tired of being micromanaged, overworked, and treated as disposable by incompetent executives, HR, and project managers. Don't just take my word for it, take a look at the negative reviews, everyone is saying the same things, yet HR refutes... them each time. 90% of the positive reviews are fake and/or posted by current employees. Yet the company markets hard on its public image and "awards". Company is old school. Managers value engineers being at their desk 40+ hours and punching the clock over getting results, working less hours, working remotely etc. Vacation time is extremely frowned upon. Two types of managers exist, those who know nothing about how technology works, even on a very basic level, and the other are very senior engineers who know nothing about people skills, or how to work as a team. I would not recommend taking a job here. The upper management is so out of touch with technology it's truly amazing the company is still in business in 2019, but it's propped up by an incredible sales team. Definite concerns for the future of the company.

Advice to Management

None, management is the problem and it can't fix itself. The company will fail hopefully soon, stuck in its old ways, and be replaced by companies that encourage innovation, talent, remote work, and people who care about their customers and employees.

Sentinel Technologies2019-04-03
  7. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Technical competency of Solution Architects

Cons

Zero work life balance, old school

Sentinel Technologies2019-01-29
  8. "Assembler"

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

Good work ethic, great company

Cons

Long hours, hard to move up

Advice to Management

Performance appraisal every 6 months needed

Sentinel Technologies2018-11-27

January 15, 2019Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience!

"Great pay but not the company I thought it was going to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Sentinel Technologies full-time

Pros

Their pay scale is generous. You're surrounded by many software engineers so you have the opportunity to really learn from them. Expect there to be minimal training (still not sure if this is a con or a pro as it forces you to get creative and think outside the box (putting this in pro and con)). Although personal experience with senior management was limited, I got the sense that they cared about what they were... doing and the engineers below them.

Cons

Whenever there is a paid holiday, expect to make up those hours in the same week. Immediate management has a way to make you feel like you're wrong if you don't put in more than 40 hours in any given week. Expect there to be minimal training (still not sure if this is a con or a pro as it forces you to get creative and think outside the box (putting this in pro and con)). Projects typically experience scope creep... due to the fact that the customer is expected to get what they want, even post production and UAT signoff. You're supposed to make up that time during your personal/family time. Priorities constantly shift but original timelines do not. For example, say you originally had 40 hours to complete a project, a second project would be thrown on top and now the expectation is for you to complete two projects in the same amount of time. Part of Pros is working with many engineers; the con is those engineers are your supervisors. Although they are phenomenal engineers, they lack in management/people skills. Prepare to be felt like you don't matter to them and reminded of how incompetent you are on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

There was no scheduled 1:1 meetings with engineer to manager to better gauge what is happening in the trenches. This is surprising because this is a great opportunity for management to know what is really happening in their company once you establish a trusting relationship. Surveys are nice for employees but these are not properly received so they’re not taken serious (this was my impression from other colleagues... when exchanging ideas). Other than this, I got a sense senior management is doing great with the resources they have.

Sentinel Technologies2018-10-14

"Unbelievable company to work for, best in the business!"

I have been working at Sentinel Technologies

Pros

The workplace environment is one of the best. People wanting everyone to succeed. Understanding of the big picture that we’re all on the same team. Sentinel is honest in their business and truly want to help the customers in which they work with. It’s not a gimmick or cheap company, they truly do what is best for the customer at all times. Could not be more thrilled to be a part of this company and look forward... to the countless years ahead growing from within! The culture Sentinel is building is much different than those also in the business, it’s something you look for when trying to find a job and they have hit it on the head. Great company, great people, great future!

Cons

I will not act like there are no cons. The company match in your 401K could be better but it’s a midsize private company so its expected. Vacation days could be improved upon but nothing to complain about. Pretty much the industry standard. Besides those, it’s a growing company that does best by its employees. There will be growing pains but the good outweighs the bad 10x

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, your open door/phone policy allows us to keep growing.

Sentinel Technologies2018-07-30

July 30, 2018Administrator

Thanks for the feedback! It's great to hear that your time with us thus far has been an overwhelmingly positive experience! It's great to read your pros really highlight the core of Sentinel, and the culture we try to facilitate. Again, thank you for taking the time to share--it is greatly appreciated!

Found 94 reviews