Sentry Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Travis Leonardi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great employer, benefits, clear expectations."

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working remotely is a huge plus. Although company is working to move away from remote positions, there's still many that are remote. Flexibility is appreciated by staff and not taken for granted. I enjoy my work and have made great work relationships I couldn't be happier.

Cons

It's a tech company, there's deadlines to meet. Some may not enjoy that many hours have to be dedicated to meet expectations.

Advice to Management

It's a small company but it's grown a lot and the past years and still has a lot of potential. Some departments could communicate more amongst their leaders and with other areas that collaborate on initiates in order to move forward and improve service.

"Come Work At Sentry"

Current Employee - Technical Support Data Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Data Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am excited about the growth of Sentry and the new leadership they have brought in to drive innovation. I really feel like I am part of a team that is focused on Customer Success and driving efficiencies.

Cons

Our benefits needs to be re-evaluated (cost vs value) seem pretty high.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the staff and hiring leaders with experience.

"Growing Company Working Hard"

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
    - Complex and challenging work
    - Most of the staff works really hard and tries their best to work together
    - Company is still growing and trying to innovate after being in business more than 10 years. This creates opportunities for hard-working and dedicated people.

Honestly, when I read some of the other reviews here, I found myself wondering what company these people work for because their aggressively negative posts are pretty different from my experience so far, and from that of most of my day-to-day coworkers. Makes me wonder if the people posting these destructive and unprofessional comments have ever held a real job before for more than a year, or if maybe they're just lazy underperformers with an axe to grind.

Sentry is definitely not a perfect company, but I think the staff and managers work hard and try to make things better. I've seen better communication in the past year or so, and a lot of good people seem to be getting promoted, which tells me that there's career growth and opportunity here.

Cons

- The hours can be long and it's not always well communicated to us if our work is having a positive impact
    - Not always sure what the company's bigger mission and vision are besides growth. My last company was really mission-driven and gave us all something to rally around on the tough days.
    - Company seems like it's struggling with the transition from little to big. Could be doing a better job of managing the cultural/process change, communicating big-picture, and developing staff for the future.
    - Workforce is probably about 70% remote - makes communication, collaboration, efficiency and culture/relationship building a lot harder.

Advice to Management

- Invest more in your people. They are the foundation for growth and success
    - Consider doing an all-company meeting once or twice a year. My last company had a lot of remote workers and it was a good way to bring us all together and share the vision/mission/updates etc.
    - Update the tech - using some out of date stuff. I'm sure it was state of the art ten years ago, but it's time to upgrade.

"Great potential, bad growth techniques"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- There is both good and bad here. Fastpaced environment, complex work, but lots of turnover. People don't last long here.
    - A growing company with a lot of changes, some coming straight from the CEO. Unfortunately the bad frequently overshadows the good resulting in a difficult, oppressive workplace environment but there is a lot of potential here if only leadership had a clue.

Cons

- Clueless leadership selling broken and flawed products. A true house of cards ready to collapse. Too many cooks in the kitchen, they are trying to go in too many directions at the same time and the CEO is having truble handling the growth.
    - It is rarely communicated to us if our work is having a positive impact. Everything always seems to be broken and sometimes no one notices until clients complain. Priorities are all backwards.
    - Only vision/mission appears to be grow grow grow never fix or sustain. The only solution management offers is dream big and rebuild everything. Sounds good on paper, but a lot of people here are new and clueless.
    - CEO likes to mandate change in a very harsh, demeaning, and offensive manner creating a toxic culture and inefficient, oppressive working conditions.
    - Hard working, dedicated people are continually run into the ground and then discarded leaving behind an aging technology stack that management doesn't understand or care to understand.

Advice to Management

Stop the attrition, so many people are leaving the sinking ship. Invest in your people with incentives that keep them around.

"Racist, Unorganized"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Riverview, FL

I worked at Sentry Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for many employees to work from home, all the coffee you can drink, nobody works weekends, parking is free, building is very close to highway exit.

Cons

Poorly managed, high turnover, expensive benefits, employees are not valued, and certain departments are very "cliquey" and will not allow you join in on lunch or even conversations.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at what's going on at your company and don't rely on a HR person who works from home to give you all the details.

"Mediocrity, Politics, Chaos"

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is trying to grow and trying to hire more
    Flexibility with work schedule (lots of remote workers)
    CEO once surprised everyone with an extra company-wide day off

Cons

Executive management is forcing mediocrity by pushing brilliant people out and impose the damaging, antiquated bell curve performance review process which is junk science at its worst. A lot of the "hyper performers" are leaving which is unfortunate, however, they were not allowed to excel anyways. They love to play the blame game and pointing fingers at those who have left the company, however the company is getting more dysfunctional every day, so clearly the cause is still present. They are, in all honesty, completely clueless and losing everyone who knows how things work. They are creating more chaos than calm.

Advice to Management

Look at how sports teams drive results: they hire and build super-stars every single day. And they pay them richly. If you can build that kind of performance management process in your team, you'll see amazing results. Build super-stars, stop beating them down and driving them away. The people who power your organizations are not only your greatest asset. They are the fuel and the brain trust for the company's future. Your people are the one thing your competitors cannot duplicate.

"Fear Tactics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working remote is a huge plus, but remote workers at this company are a thing of the past according to new general management. Sentry still has many good, experienced people here, but they are quickly being replaced by a large influx of inexperience.

Cons

Everything is always an emergency probably because everything is mismanaged and wrongly prioritized. It is chaos. The focus is always on new features and new products, they never devote resources to maintaining existing products and tools. The deadlines are always unreasonable and if you happen to meet the deadline, the middle or senior management takes credit for all your hard work, but quickly throws you to the wolves whenever they mismanage things. Toxic culture, especially at the office. Management has a dog eat dog mentality.

Leadership has been changing a lot lately and the current leadership loves to brag about experience, but conversely acts unprofessionally, secretive, non-communicative, and just as disjointed as the old. You have no value to them. There are a lot of old-time remote employees suddenly leaving and causing everyone to wonder will I be next? Communication has never been good and is now worse than ever.

Advice to Management

Just a thought, but maybe the problem is the head honcho and his direct reports?

"The Sentry Revolution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Sentry Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Undergoing a "revolution" (according to the marketing department)
    - Flexible PTO
    - Competitive compensation
    - Some talented and smart co-workers still left

Cons

* Everyone is cannon fodder - The Sentry revolution in terms of human capital is very costly. All the smart talented thinkers are getting forced out by the current C-level and VPs who do not seem to care or even want thinkers and innovators to work for them anymore. C-level assistants are even jumping ship. Sentry is a horribly run tech company who only wants disposable cannon fodder for the revolution. Long-term career seekers are not welcome. As the revolution continues they are experiencing (and causing) very high turnover with dozen of new hires over the past few months and about as many leaving. They only strive for the industry status quo and they want to outsource everything. The number of tickets closed by an individual are all that matters and the C-level has admitted on company-wide meetings that it does not want the company to be a industry leader, but that they want play it safe and stick with the industry herd.

* So much nepotism - The C-level and their select buddies look down on everyone lower on the org chart especially remote workers. If you do try to work remote you are inferior and treated as such and you will find it hard to get promoted. It has been communicated that remote workers are no longer welcome. They act pompous and are condescending towards the lesser employees. Even though Sentry is privately held, you never hear of any type of stock program or stock incentives. They do not care to reward or offer incentives to anyone. They don't want smart workers, just faster and harder and disposable cheap labor.

* Micromanagement to the nth degree - Everything is bottlenecked requiring preapproval from the C-level. Sentry is turning into a very micromanaged corporation where skill does not get you anywhere, only brown nosing at the Deerfield office does and only those who the C-level happens to know personally and like are respected and rewarded.

* Sentrys board is clueless - They need to wake up and realize what the C-level and VPs are doing, but instead they are buying the "revolution" marketing scheme they are being fed while the company is being turned from a flexible fast-paced work environment to a authoritarian micromanaged corporation where everything takes exponentially longer than it should. Introducing inefficiencies and pushing out the smart people are being sold as revolutionary changes.

Advice to Management

- If your customers only knew how this company was being run they would all be leaving. Change before they find out.
    - Try being an industry leader for once instead of limping along as part of the industry pack.

"Good Company but Room For Improvement"

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a Unlimited PTO policy, Creative Coworkers, Smart Coworkers. Pretty good pay. Nice Office Space and somewhat flexible work schedule. Company growing fast. I enjoy the work that I do.

Cons

Poor communication from top executives
    Too many leadership changes every 6 months but recent changes seem good, hope they stick.
    More appreciation of the work that we do from mgmt.
    Like to hear from CEO more often
    Need better processes

Advice to Management

Get your executives to talk to teams about changes and how it impacts us. We need hear from you.

"Nothing Here. You're Better Off Elsewhere."

Current Employee - Developer in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Developer in Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been working at Sentry Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is dreaming up a lot of neat healthcare related products. Lots of cashflow, company appears to be doing well. Coworkers are, for the most part, very hard working and very helpful to new hires.

Cons

Everything is micromanaged by the leadership. Extremely inefficient, backstabbing, chaotic, toxic culture. No one is allowed to think for themselves (only leadership is smart enough to do any thinking). Leadership listens to nothing from below making it seem as though there are horrible problems with communication. Overall, it is a very dysfunctional organization that re-orgs every 6 months.

Be prepared for 50+ hour work weeks--everyone is salaried so no overtime. The new leadership requires you to log every minute you work on something "for accounting and tax purposes." Leadership flaunts the fact that they have money to burn (but only upper management receive bonuses, the workers get zero). Salaries are average and benefits are extremely expensive. Do not expect any bonuses or raises or any incentives to keep you on, all workers are just another disposable resource. There is very high turnover, people are regularly quitting. Don't expect to stay long.

There is zero opportunity for career growth, you are pretty much stuck in the job you are hired into. All the real talent is leaving behind those who are no good at their job. All senior positions are outside hires, no promotions from within (workers are viewed as too dumb to "climb the ladder" here). If you prefer to work remote from the Deerfield office you are treated as second-class, so avoid this company unless you are able to commute to the Deerfield office, however with the recent expansion to the second floor at Deerfield, those not on the "executive" floor are also second-class.

Advice to Management

Consider being a fun tech company, not a micro-managed "Office Space" sweatshop. Promote from within. Recognize that all your real talent is leaving and your new VP leadership does not care. Respect and value your workforce. Consider investing some of the capital you are always flaunting to keeping the smart, talented workers for the longterm.