Sentry Reviews in Scottsdale, AZ | Glassdoor

4.1
Sentry Chairman of the Board, President and CEO Pete G. McPartland
Pete G. McPartland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexability with schdule (in 16 reviews)

• Great work/life balance - very rarely worked more than 40 hour weeks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management hides behind performance of everyone below them so if you are an acct manager you will be at the bottom (in 16 reviews)

• Each office should have some local perks / discounts available to them just like home office (in 10 reviews)

1. "Constant workload tools to succeed"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster I in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster I in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sentry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very helpful management. Great team environment. Very flexible in work schedule as long as you stay successful in your claims handling and closing.

Cons

Heavy workload that never slows down. You need to be prepared to work constantly to stay on top of your pending. Must not be afraid to work hard.

Sentry Response

Aug 30, 2016 – Sentry Insurance Employee

Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback. We’re happy to hear your experience with Sentry was positive and that you enjoyed the benefit of a flexible work schedule. At Sentry, we’re... More

2. "Claims Representative"

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Customer Service in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sentry (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been working here very long but I am finding this company to be very friendly, helpful, and they really want you to succeed. I look forward to learning all I can and to move up in the company. I found the pay to be excellent as well as the benefits.

Cons

Traffic... No real cafeteria. Don't really have any......

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Sentry Response

Jul 21, 2016 – Sentry Insurance Employee

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’re happy your experience with us has been positive and that you recommend us as a great company to work for. At Sentry, we’re committed to... More

"Terrible Company To Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Casual wear, Big Parking Lot.

Cons

The management doesn't care about your opinion, the sense of logic is nowhere to be found among leadership. The motto seems to be 'You do what we tell you to do, no matter how illogical it is or sounds'.
    The 90% of customers that call to the company don't really know or were given an clear explanation of what or how their insurance cover or works. Technologically is a stuck up company using software from the 80's, they don't have a sense of progress, and innovation is frown upon

Advice to Management

Update the company with 21's century technology and people

4. "Busy and no real support for workload as well as high turn over makes it difficult to succeed."

Current Employee - Claim Representative I in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claim Representative I in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sentry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was friendly, and the people you work with are understanding. Good starting pay and benefits.

Cons

Massive pending and a culture that promotes unreasonable expectations for work load compared to quality of claims handling.

"Work here at your own risk"

Former Employee - Claims Representative II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Representative II in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sentry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to have a high pending, write tons of arbitrations, receive daily emails about you on some list, and put 10% negligence on some other driver just for driving that day- this place is for you.

Cons

After reading some of these reviews I feel like these people are on drugs. It wouldn't surprise me if the managers made up their own reviews after most of the employees constantly apply for other jobs and prospective employees turn down job offers. This place provides bad benefits, low pay and high work load.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews on this website.

6. "Ok"

Former Employee - Claims Tech in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Tech in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

If you like a different schedule every day this is the place to be.

Cons

Too nit picky, techs expected to be robotic, facts of losses are expected to be described exactly the way someone in upper managment has determined instead of how it's described to the tech that is actually setting up the fnol.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on the bigger things i.e. providing better customer service after the claim has been assigned to adjuster.

"Not a good place to intern."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Decent Pay for an intern.

Cons

A place you don't want to come back to.

Advice to Management

Create an environment that makes interns want to to return for full time work.

8. "Not a lot of room for growth in your career"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Sentry offers stability for those who don't want to climb the corporate ladder. If you would be happy to be a claim representative your entire career, this company may be a good fit for you.

Cons

Management is deeply involved in every level of the claim for all adjusters on their teams. Why do they pay my salary to make a decision and then not give me the freedom to do so? Also, they use computer programs to assist in bodily injury claims. They expect you to follow what the computer dictates recovery time to be, or who should be considered at fault for an accident.

Advice to Management

Please, when you see that your team is so behind and struggling to keep up, ask for help from other departments that may not be as busy. Make sure that once a position is emptied, someone has already been selected and is standing by to fill that position. The down time in between losing an adjuster and training a new one is too long and too stressful for the remaining representatives. Positive reinforcement is missing from the work environment would be welcomed. And, the most important thing - get rid of those lists. Being told every week that you're not doing something right is demoralizing at the very least and creates animosity between employees and management. Also, upper management needs to be seen and make sure they are interacting with all levels of employees, not just their direct reports. The impression they give to the staff is that they are too important to bother with the "regular people". At one company where I previously worked, the CEO would lead meetings and then work the room to give everyone face time. It made the employees feel special, like they mattered. Here you are discouraged from talking to upper management at all. And heaven forbid Dale Schuh walks by, you are instructed that in no way are you to make contact with him.

9. "Redefining Micro-Management"

Former Employee - Claim Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Claim Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Excellent 401k with 100% matching and a pension plan

Cons

Incompetent management in Scottsdale and outdated software. The management style is to micro manage every aspect of the job and to attempt to have metrics for everything. With the exception of a few individuals, there is a high turn over rate of the claim representatives.

Advice to Management

The nice folks in Stevens Point, Wisconsin should send some of their MBA type claims professionals out to replace the management in Scottsdale. Also,consider upgrading to more current software that is more efficient in streamlining the claims handling process.