Sephora Beauty Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Jean Andre Rougeot
  1. "It’s not terrible"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

free makeup, flexible, discount, great culture, freedom to move up, ever changing, fast pace, valued

Cons

Customer service retail, entitled clients,technology

Advice to Management

Not much

Sephora2020-01-13
  2. "Equal parts perks and cons"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So much brand training and education, as well as GRATIS. Sephora is a wonderful place to work if you enjoy interacting with fun coworkers and clients and if you want to insert yourself into the beauty industry. You get trained in makeup application, and skincare so if you decide to leave, you're walking away with many new skills under your belt. Made all the cattiness and lack of solid hours worth it until it was time for me to move on

Cons

WORK POLITICS WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY. Managers probably gossip and talk more smack than the actual employees. You get promised raises just so they could work you harder and then give the raise to someone else. Work here but be smart about how trusting you are of management. When the store isn't doing well (almost all the time) hours get cut like crazy. Not the most stable job if ur part time. If you're full time you should be good

Advice to Management

treat your employees like people and not machines.

Sephora2019-11-20
  3. "makeup artist"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

very friendly staff and easy schedule

Cons

pay is a little low

Sephora2019-10-19

"Great start up job for a beauty career"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis training great on your resume extensive training advancement in your techniques

Cons

Sephora was a great job for people who are trying to advance their career in the beauty industry. There is not a commission environment so its extremely relaxed and everyone collaborating as a team to reach their goals. The pay is not that amazing for a company that is under LVMH. I believe that you can advance your pay by moving up with the company so it isn't THAT horrid.

Sephora2019-09-30
  5. "Unprepared management, hours"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis, helping customers, meeting new people

Cons

Bad management, not enough hours for everyone, closing/ openings alone.

Advice to Management

Always make sure to be prepared and have another manager in place of the old one, if the old one has put in their time to resign.

Sephora2019-09-15

"Not as glamorous as it’s presented"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some gratis and a small discount

Cons

Inconsistent hours, low pay, minimal work life balance, company claims to care but when it comes down to it they are not on your side, working conditions not accommodating for health or injury

Sephora2019-08-09

"Best Job I’ve ever had"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Charleston, WV

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get tons of free products to try and give your honest opinion to customers. My coworkers are very uplifting and want everyone to be confident in what they’re doing instead of like working at other places where people are always putting you down. You do get to play with makeup and really feel like you’re making a difference, educating customers on what’s best for them and how to use products! At least I feel that way. It is a very close and fun environment with different makeup events such as celebrating pride by wearing rainbow makeup or Halloween by your best spooky looks. My managers have always been very flexible working with my needs and schedule, and I like everyone I work with! (I work at Sephora in JCP). Also I have heard that there are employee evaluations every spring, and everyone is likely to get a raise. The job pays well for starting off (as a younger person), and I also hear that every month that the team meets goal, we all get bonuses!

Cons

Sometimes keeping up with making sure all of the tiny products and multiple shelves are dusted and kept clean can be difficult, but if that’s all I have to worry about then I’m not complaining. Also, my Sephora in JCP just stopped doing the custom makeovers, which I would’ve loved to have done! We just do the minis now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I love Sephora even more now that I work for them. I just wish I could do custom makeovers for people.

Sephora2019-07-15
  8. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in South Tampa, FL

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some training, Occasional free makeup Fun uniform

Cons

No tips, Clients expect the most amazing make over for free

Sephora2019-07-25

"Not Exactly Your Dream Job"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sephora offers employees generous gratis and brand training to their employees. Lots of things to learn in any world (skincare, color, etc) with many training opportunities either by brand reps for a quick one on one, online videos, or an hour long session with a brand/guest artist. On many occasions there are free lunches hosted by brand reps and store contests to give employees initiative to sell a certain brand's product that day for gratis prizes. Work environment is diverse and friendly, you truly feel close to your coworkers and comfortable in the environment. You are given the freedom to express your own style with your makeup/hair/tattoos/piercings. Flexible hours that offer work-life balance, although management may give you some grief for it in the beginning. Offers small raises given annually.

Cons

As generous as the company is, Sephora does not nearly pay its' hard-working employees the wages they deserve. Prepare to work very hard for very little. Any retail job is not easy, but working at Sephora is a whole different retail experience. Juggling clients while making samples while getting a manager on a walkie while doing a stock check for an item is not uncommon on very busy days. Working at Cashwrap (cashier) is even worse because the amount you are expected to multitask (answering phone/with a client/marking the damages process at once) combined with contests (where you are encouraged to promote certain items) can be very overwhelming and extremely stressful for receiving the lowest base pay available. Not trying to scare anyone from not applying, but be prepared for those busy days all the while with management breathing down your neck/being micromanaged even on the occasion you are not with a client (yes, you will be micromanaged even if you are the greeter at the door). Lots of grey-area between managers as each manager rotates every hour. There are discrepancies with coordinators and managers, some coordinators talk down to employees even when the two generally get paid almost the same. Hours can be cut at times without forewarning of management, due to corporate's store goals. Stores in a busy location can get chaotic at times, so be prepared to multitask like you've never done before. The biggest con is that you are NOT paid on commission, so there is basically no initiative to meet store goals, no matter how big of a sale you make.

Advice to Management

Gratis does not pay the bills. If hours will be cut, the employees should be the first to know. Favorites should not be played with individuals with bad workplace behavior/attitude, no matter how long they have been with the company.

Sephora2019-07-08
  10. "fun job"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-gratis -good discount -fun work environment -easy to make friends at work

Cons

-biased scheduling system -managers may try to make you do more work than your job description specifies -raises are rare

Sephora2019-06-30