Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Sephora CEO Chris de Lapuente
Chris de Lapuente

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is actively encouraged as opposed to other retailers" (in 138 reviews)

• "Free products and great industry networking" (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • "Could do better with work life balance" (in 211 reviews)

• "There is no work life balance for management" (in 61 reviews)

1. "Great place to start"

Former Employee - Education Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Education Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of brand education and support.

Cons

retail environment, which is a con anywhere.

2. "Makeup"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere. Products. Training. Pay. Benefits.

Cons

Hired so many seasonal the hours given we’re very few during the week. Like 15 or less. And at times I want 8 or 9 days between shifts in a 14 work period.

3. "Great products"

Former Employee - Cashier in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was always given awesome samples of all the new products

Cons

The management was very strict and sometimes very dramatic

Advice to Management

Cut the drama treat everyone fairly

4. "Amazing growth opportunity!"

Former Employee - Cash Wrap in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Cash Wrap in Champaign, IL

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

organized, full of growth opportunity, amazing leadership

Cons

Long hours working retail, On your feet all day, Dealing with difficult customers

Advice to Management

Continue to highlight individuals strengths and use them to your advantage

5. "Great company to grow with"

Current Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: 401k, discounts, gratis, ability to move up.

Cons

Can be a bit strict with rules.

"Great experience, if you can handle retail."

Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Abingdon, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Abingdon, MD

I worked at Sephora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Connecting with clients and helping them feel confident and beautiful is definitely very rewarding. You get to learn a lot about makeup and skincare, and you get to positively impact people's lives. You also get free products in the form of monthly gratis. As SEC, it is your job to organize and distribute gratis.

As SEC, you also gain good management/leadership experience. Working full-time as SEC gave me the business foundation I needed to get accepted into my MBA program. You work in close partnership with the Operations Manager, Beauty Manager, and General Manager (my Sephora was inside a JCPenney).

There is pretty good opportunity to advance within Sephora. I began as a Product Consultant, and was promoted to Senior Education Consultant within 4 months. You build strong relationships with your co-workers and managers and they can give you valuable recommendations down the road.

Cons

This is a retail sales job. If you hate retail and customer service, you will not like working at Sephora. Yes, you get to be around makeup all day, but this job is a LOT more than just playing with makeup. Since SEC is part of the leadership team, this position can be very stressful at times. You are responsible for on-boarding and training all associates, delivery the monthly education agenda, and driving metrics such as Beauty Studio services, Beauty Insider registration, Love score, and of course, sales.

Since this is a retail job, your schedule is going to be all over the place. Unless you have a fully flexible staff and a manager who sticks to a consistent schedule, you never know when you are going to be working until the schedule comes out. This makes it very hard to have a social life outside of work. You are always going to be working weekends, since those are the busiest days. At my location, if you wanted a day off, you needed to request it 3 entire weeks in advance. So if your friend invites you to hang out this weekend, forget it--you need to plan your life at least 3 weeks in advance.

The biggest con is dealing with rude customers. People are often impatient when they have to wait for service, even when the store is extremely busy. Customers will get angry with you over high prices, even though you can't control price. They will argue over returns. They will abuse the sample system. They will ask you to do full-face makeovers and take up lots of your time without spending a dime in return.

Another con is the fact that my location was inside a JCPenney. Working at SiJCP is different from working at a free-standing Sephora. At SiJCP locations, you are technically a JCPenney employee as your paycheck comes from JCPenney, not Sephora. Since our store was inside JCPenney, we were required to know what was going on outside of Sephora as well. We had customers ask us questions about JCP merchandise and sales all the time, and they got frustrated when we didn't know the answer. The BIGGEST con to working at an SiJCP is that you have to promote the JCPenney Credit Card, which they refer to as iCaps. Our manager was CONSTANTLY bugging us about getting iCaps. We had to ask every single customer, and if they said no, we had to try and convince them to apply. This was extremely frustrating, since most of our customer come to shop strictly at Sephora, and they don't care about JCPenney credit cards.

Advice to Management

Sephora is the reason JCPenney stays in business. Devote more staffing hours to Sephora so that we can actually cover the floor and make sales.

Also, having to submit a time-off request 3 weeks in advance is ridiculous. You only need to give 2 weeks notice to quit your job, so why do you need 3 weeks notice for a day off? There is a reason turnover rate is so high.

7. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I worked at Sephora part-time

Pros

One of the best part time jobs I’ve ever had!

Cons

No cons to working here.

8. "didn't love the culture"

Former Employee - Color Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Color Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sephora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of gratis from the vendors

Cons

pay was terrible for all the expectations

Advice to Management

pay your employees more for all of the things you expect for them to do.

"Bad Experience"

Current Employee - Merchant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Merchant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting a discount, it’s only 20% which is the lowest I’ve ever seen at any place I’ve worked It’s the same as a customer gets during a sale. Gratis is good

Cons

Management forces you to do their job and not be paid for it or they tell you you can leave. Our Leaders have promised us a salary increase for years to be in line with other merchants and they have not come through. We’ve been told we will not receive a bonus this year. I have joined a group of us that are putting together a class action with a lawyer on doing jobs we are not being paid for since this borderlines abusive. Management shows no respect to employees unless you do their dirty work and backstab your fellow employees. No daycare, terrible medical benefits, no free lunches, gym exercise, snacks, etc. like every company in the Bay Area. Candidates think it’s a great place to work but if they only knew so I finally felt the need to share details. No work life balance whatsoever and all we do is spend all of our time in wasted meetings and conference calls that are completely unnecessary

Advice to Management

Sephora needs to evaluate pay structure because it is poor compared to the industry Plus when you receive excellent job reviews the pay increase is terrible. We have lost so many great people due to poor bonuses or none at all and the company brags about all the money it’s making and then doesn’t give it to its employees They make bonuses impossible to achieve, it’s about time somebody said something.

"Values? Inaction"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting day-to-day work; fast paced, never boring.
    Sephora generally hires talented people.

Cons

Failure to live up to publicly stated corporate values of Work Life Balance and Respect for All.
    Meeting-intense culture (all day back-to-backs).
    Minimal diversity within many large departments. HR and others openly joked about “the one male” in the room on several occasions, resulting in an uncomfortable environment.
    Multiple instances of senior marketing leadership engaging in retaliation for those perceived to make the individual look bad.
    Unwillingness to paint a true, complete picture of business results – leadership is focused on “marketing the marketing”, while omitting or minimizing any unfavorable results.
    Bullying behaviors that are reported to HR – and widely acknowledge by the VP community – are allowed to continue, contributing to an overall toxic environment.
    Surprisingly poor maternity leave policy.
    Huge exodus of talent in the past year.

Advice to Management

Single set of shared corporate priorities.
    Sharper focus on key competitive threats from direct-to-consumer brands, Ulta, and Amazon.