Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor

Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

1,365 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is actively encouraged as opposed to other retailers" (in 135 reviews)

• "Great working environment and you get a lot of free products for you to try and then use as a reference at the point of sale" (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is a company value but should be taken into consideration more" (in 199 reviews)

• "No work life balance rude management" (in 56 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Skin Care Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

Working for the Company that is the Beauty Authority. Excellent training and Management that treats you like family, respects you and is always looking for ways to reward you and give you recognition. Great pay and awesome benefits that makes you feel valued. Lots of opportunities for advancement if you work really hard and prove yourself.

Cons

Retail hours can be hectic at times.

Advice to Management

Great Job at recognizing, training and motivating employees! Thank you for making us feel valued!

2. "so far so awesome!!! love this place and don't know how great places are missed"

Current Employee - Fragrance Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Fragrance Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

grattis, friendly but competitive competitions. lots of training. easy to learn. great team members that strive for the same goal. breaks, good benefits, good discounts both in store and thru company

Cons

none yet. might take some time but will find something wrong lol. I like this company so far

Sephora Response

Apr 6, 2018 – Manager, Employer Brand and Recruiting Operations

So thrilled to hear you love working at Sephora! Thank you for your review!

3. "Loss Prevention"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Equal Opportunity Employer, Work Life Balance is actively encouraged. Since Sephora is so Development Driven, Sephora invest a lot on employees training and in their compensation. The company is moving in the right direction with new stores opening almost every year and with current store being remodeled. Management is not just Management, they feel you feel like family and want occasionally want to know how life is outside of work to make sure everything is how it should be. If your career driven Sephora will make sure you reach the goal you intend on achieving.

Cons

If your just looking for a job I wouldn't recommend Sephora due to it's intense peak hours and traffic. You can find yourself discouraged, worn out, and not wanting to go to work because there is actually a lot for you to do, so without that drive giving you that push, you'll most likely burn out.

Advice to Management

Keep demonstrating the compassion for your employees and keep driving that client experience.

4. "Loss Prevention"

Current Employee - LP Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - LP Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Sephora a little under 2 years and it has been everything I had ever hoped for.
    Pay has been amazing, and monthly bonus opportunities and free product (Gratis) are a nice perk.
    My leadership team (DLPM and RLPM) are accessible and actually visit my store. I've been with companies where I didn't see my DLPM, let alone my RLPM, for months. Here I see both often and I know they are a phone call away and they actually answer their phones.
    This position is more about just catching shoplifters, it's working with and influencing change within my store and leadership teams, it's coaching our sales teams and being leaders in the building. It's about having the ability to learn and develop myself.
    My DLPM sits with me quarterly to provide honest feedback so I can focus on my growth and development. The LP Org has created new positions and doubled in size the past 18 months.
    My DLPM/RLPM have listened to me and implemented some of my new ideas!
    I love that I am challenged to find internals and have been given access to exception reporting so I can start to learn new things.

Cons

There are some "old school" Sephora employees who do not like change. While businesses continue to change and evolve, there are/were some old school employees who do not like change and a new way of doing things.
    Sometimes we are too slow to hold people accountable, often giving them many chances to right the poor behavior before pen hits paper- I get that b/c we are a peoples based organization but sometimes it can be a very slow process.

Advice to Management

Any negative reviews are often from employees who were disgruntled because they were being held accountable and didn't like it. They were/are unable to look into the mirror and accept they have opportunities or couldn't handle feedback when it was given. This company continues to grow, add positions, promote from within and pays very well. We have annual conferences, developmental meetings that focus on our development and growth and leaders who care about us and whats going on in our lives outside of Sephora. It amazes me that my Leadership team remembers my birthday and my son's name. Why wouldn't someone stay here if they were doing what they were supposed to be doing?
    My Advice to management? Keep holding poor performers accountable. The problematic, negative people will leave sooner and allow people who want to work and build a career, to actually do just that.

"Retail Picker / Replenisher in Distribution Center"

Current Employee - Retail Picker/Replenisher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Picker/Replenisher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sephora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First of all, this is a "Warehouse" position. Don't expect it to be cushy, you work for the paycheck. Have been only working one day, and that was mostly training. Expect the warehouse to be warm to hot in Summer, and cool to cold in Winter. Bring water, you will be dehydrating for the whole of your shift. Expect to be walking and standing for 100% of your shift, wear well padded and supportive foot wear. Worked at least three other warehouse jobs at other Companies, and they all compare about the same as mentioned above, expect to work. Environment is friendly, co-workers are diverse, as is the culture. It can be fun, or it can be a drudge (see other "negative" reviews), it is what you make it. As this is a retail distribution position, expect to come in and hear you will be working more than your shift, its retail. Your job description is dictated by the business flow of the retail stores wanting product. Overall, you will be working for your paycheck, but you have career paths to move up, and if you can put in a little blood, sweet, and tears upfront, you may get to that "cushy" position. Consider this a foot into the door to aspire for greater positions.

Cons

Not so much Cons, just more things that a "Warehouse" position usually entails:
    * Hot in Summer, Cold in Winter.
    * Don't take this job unless you are willing to work for the $.
    * If you have issues with certain ethnicicities, don't take this job. Chances are, you will be a co-worker with one. (Serious diversity in the work area here)
    * Training is taken serious, you don't get to fly solo, until you can demonstrate you can leave the nest on your own.
    * Support can be if-y thing, co-workers are fine, but you really are looking for those individuals with the neon vests, and they roam all over.
    * Warehouse is almost a 24 x 7, so announcements are constantly coming over the PA system on shifts starting, leaving, and break starts and ends. Each shift is given a "group" number, so you are listening for yours to dictate yourself through your shift.
    * Don't consider the position if you have after work considerations. You may walk in on your shift to find they need you to stay two hours longer.

Again, most of these items are not "Cons", so-to-speak, I'm just voicing them as a more "Additional Information".

Advice to Management

As a Warehouse, Cosmetic Retail Supplier, and Retail Stores establishment, what can I say... Its work, it seems to be steady work, and it has advancement opportunities. Management has fostered that within the Company. All these things were seen by a first time "day 1" employee. So I think management is doing a better than average job to convey, even to a new-bie, their values.

6. "Holiday help"

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super busy hours, early mornings

Cons

Tons of free swag

7. "Good company"

Current Employee - Color Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Color Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, no personal sales goal, gratis, fun, time off requests are easy

Cons

Rude customers, hectic at times

"Feels like a fading star"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well-known international brand part of LVMH. Work with exciting brands and influencers. Secure high rise office building centrally located in downtown SF. Open, airy cubicle workspaces. Work-life balance.

Cons

High level management exodus, broken processes across departments, elevated brand perception declining.

"Color Consultant"

Former Employee - Color Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, gratis, place to play and learn. Great for beginners who want to get started in being an artist.

Cons

Many locations are losing good cast members due to lack of true appreciation of their employees. Their company values aren't truly being followed by management, and it's all about power play for management. They also play favorites and choose who they want to elevate according to their preferred. The pay also isn't worth it for true artist with skills.

Advice to Management

Come through with your promises to elevate and grow cast members, not just elevating cast that kiss up to management. Follow through with the core Sephora values. It is becoming a place that drains their employees to make money for the company. Work on work /life balance. Pay your employees with experience better, and give them a decent schedule and your cast will be happier. Happy employees= Happy company.

10. "Fun filled with excitement, always something to do."

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, making bonuses, flexibility, growth, education, and benefits with products (Gratis).

Cons

Retail hours, decent pay, and can be exhausting if you’re not goal driven

Showing 1,557 of 3,175 reviews