Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.7

2,210 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have never had a career in which work/life balance is a priority to the company that I work for (in 116 reviews)

• Friendly ppl environment free products (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedules are also released 3-4 days prior to the week it's for- so much for work-life balance (in 178 reviews)

• Little pay, no work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great values in a Company"

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for Sephora and what Sephora stands for. Going on a beauty journey with so many different clients is so rewarding. You learn so many great communication skills, selling skills, multitasking skills, and just great people skills. Not to mention you learn so much about the beauty industry!

Cons

It's retail, hours can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your staff!

2. "A great place to launch a career in cosmetics or retail sales."

Current Employee - Cast Member
    Current Employee - Cast Member

Pros

Sephora truly is a fun environment to work in. You are surrounded by thousands of great products that you get to play with all day! There is relatively limited stress - no commission which allows true team work. And it is fast paced enough to make the days whiz on by. I meet and work with many really terrific clients. The fact that there are so many other cast members means that my schedule can be very flexible.

Cons

Oftentimes it seems that clients see me just as a "sales clerk." A client once said "you make minimum wage, right?" Which is not true at all. I consider myself a professional makeup artist with great skill. Sometimes you have to deal with silly and shallow women who seem oblivious to anything but themselves, but that is more the exception than the rule. The other downside is that it sometimes gets so busy and clients are pulling you in all different directions at once. You feel like a carcass being torn apart by wild dogs. But then again - its the busy-ness that is exciting.

Advice to Management

Reward great performances more. Be sure to value your veteran cast members (you know- the ones you tend to take for granted?) and tell them they are appreciated.

3. "My personal Sephora review."

Current Employee - Product Consultant In Color in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Consultant In Color in New York, NY

Pros

The perks and training is unparalleled. Management is also understanding and patient. It's also a very fun place to work and the cast members are really close. Teamwork is key.

Cons

The hourly pay is not as high as department stores but where they lack, they make up for it in gratis and bonus pay. You are also not forced to open credit cards which can be nerve racking. Because you don't work on commission, it can be hard to get recognized if you are a super seller.

Advice to Management

Please interact with store employees more. Product consultants run the store. Without them there would be no Sephora.

4. "Great place that needs you 125% dedicated to be successful"

Current Employee - Exempt Employee
    Current Employee - Exempt Employee

Pros

Great place for career growth (lead and cast members). Exempt employees will either need to relocate or hope that they open new stores or create new DM positions. The education both exempt and nonexempt is superior to any other retail company and even some nonretail! It is a fun work environment and we tend to hire the best so your teammates are usually very good. I truly believe that the company wants to do good things for their clients and their employees. Even throughout the 2008/2009 economic downfall, they are doing what they can to be smart leaders. I have a great boss and I would never take that for granted.

Cons

You need to adjust to change overnight. They are always whipping up some new idea or concept that you have to be 100% on board with. Too many messages are sent at the same time, most times if you ask for input no one knows (and they should) or they can't answer. There needs to be more direction with some things. I also feel that Sephora allows people to not do a good job, not uphold values or just plain display behaviors that do not make them a good employee. Other companies would have given that specific cast member 1 or 2 chances to improve but if they didn't, then they would be let go. I feel that management in stores are doing the job of twelve.

Advice to Management

Please stop with all the new initiatives. Let us be on stage and be with our people so we can deliver results. Pick the top 3 and then do not layer anything else on. At times I have felt that I am a fake chearleader or am simply there to ensure that all is happy and GOD help you if 1 or 2 cast members are not happy with a decision that upper management has made. Then you have to hope that someone on the team has your back otherwise you are "coached
    on being not a good manager.

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Cast Member in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They pay well. My supervisor was great at allowing employees to have a work - life balance. Good ability to advance.

Cons

Sometimes management did not announce opportunities within a reasonable time frame. It is retail, and there is not a lot of status in that type of position.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be a little more organized. At least at my store. Also, I would advise that they be more careful about who they hire.

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Lead in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Lead in Newark, DE

Pros

The sky is the limit with this company- it is a fun, educational environment where the growth of all staff is encouraged. Employees receive alot of gratis items to try so that they are able to sell them and speak to their results with the products. Constant company contests inspire staff to try to win points and prizes. Music plays all day which is motivating.

Cons

Company is doing well and should reinstate the 401 K match. No individual goals to meet- so lazy people get away with not working as hard as some other staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work--- I love the company and working for you !!!

"Sephora inside JCPenney is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Consultant in Dayton, OH

Pros

Sephora inside JCPenney is a very fun, energetic place to work. The pay is much higher than minimum wage, especially for retail.

Cons

There are not many downsides to working for Sephora inside JCPenney. Sephora is a very strict company, so everything must look exactly as the book.

8. "Sephora is a rewarding company and a great place to start a career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Sephora values and invests in their employees providing extensive and effective training. The greatest attributes are the opportunities to advance and the many different career choices and directions you can take within the company. Sephora also pays exceptionally well despite it being a retail job. The gratis is a GREAT perk. Lots of free products.

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working at Sephora. At times I feel underpaid for the amount of responsibilities I have, but understand that I am getting the experience and knowledge I will need in the future in my field.

Advice to Management

Leadership should take more initiative in assisting with clients. Many managers that are conducting the sales floor focus too much on trying to find help for the clients as opposed to helping clients themselves if no one else is available.

"A huge learning experience"

Former Employee - HRIS Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - HRIS Administrator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Free cosmetic samples, Nationally recognized retailer, helpful co-workers, this is a company that was growing and was open to new ideas to get business completed

Cons

You have to wear black, grey, white or red Monday through Thursday. You need to do your job and execute it to their high standards.

Advice to Management

Helpful reviews overall. Work on person to person skills. The management is very open to working with its employees and giving them second chances.

10. "awesome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bayonne, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bayonne, NJ

Pros

I had an amazing experience working at sephora it is def worth working at if you want to become a make up artist.

Cons

Some people get hired that aren't really good at make up and shouldn't be teaching anyone how to do make up.

Advice to Management

Be more selective when it comes to choosing make up artists. Just because you did someone's make up for prom doesn't make you a make up artist.

Showing 2,210 of 2,693 reviews