Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.7

2,208 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have never had a career in which work/life balance is a priority to the company that I work for (in 116 reviews)

• Friendly ppl environment free products (in 173 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedules are also released 3-4 days prior to the week it's for- so much for work-life balance (in 178 reviews)

• Little pay, no work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great values in a Company"

Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for Sephora and what Sephora stands for. Going on a beauty journey with so many different clients is so rewarding. You learn so many great communication skills, selling skills, multitasking skills, and just great people skills. Not to mention you learn so much about the beauty industry!

Cons

It's retail, hours can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your staff!

2. "Great environment some cons"

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Great place to work at. Great environment. Fun. Enjoyable. Great to meet people all around the world.

Cons

Hard to develop into a higher position. 10 min breaks instead of 15 min. Need to be checked out after you’re off the clock.

3. "color consultant"

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

Lots of Learning experience, fun

Cons

Unstable schedule but that happens with all retail

4. "Cashier"

I worked at Sephora part-time

Pros

flexible hours, great people, great environment, management, work life balance is very important to them, bonuses

Cons

Long hours and can get really busy

5. "Fun but not worth the man hours!"

Former Employee - Cashwrap Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Cashwrap Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GRATIS! The extensive amount of free makeup/skincare you receive is amazing. You get training from experts from all brands and get to see products before they launch for clients. All around great job, amazing people who love making their clients feel beautiful inside and out!

Cons

PAY & Hours are NOT guaranteed! If the store is not making budget your hours get cut! They can cut you while your working or before the week starts! If you make a decent amount hourly, you won’t get as many shifts versus cast who makes the average dollar. With a large store over 80+ cast it’s extremely hard for full time employees to even get part time hrs!

Advice to Management

Don’t hire during busy season when Core cast is begging for hours! Money can be spent on the cast who is already trained and ready versus the money/time on new people all year!

6. "Cashier"

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Since I arrived in USA I always listen good things about Sephora, for example the people always find all things of good quality and price and is a big company that give a lot of job opportunities not matter the race, age or social contidion.

Cons

Probably the distance between home and my job place.

Advice to Management

I think is a good job for me because I can get better my English and start to stablish my financial life.

7. "Not What You Would Expect..."

Current Employee - Stage Lead
    Current Employee - Stage Lead

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some resources you can use to do your job more effectively. You receive gratis as a perk.

Cons

The resources that Sephora prides itself on having are not accessible to cast. If you are not making your day the automatic response is to cut hours but some of this time could be used to further education and operations, through daily dosing, in store training and making accommodations to allow for a bit heavier tasking if you truly aren't doing the volume to make your sales goal. Favoritism is beyond surreal. Leadership loves those who don't think for themselves or take initiative as they will never overshadow their masters, but there will also be no forward momentum for the store to accomplish greater things. Sephora will wait until your store is failing in a poor location, blame the location for the traffic and then eventually move the store. Leadership should be driving their own traffic and acting with an entrepreneurial spirit to accomplish more. It is a complete mystery to me that Sephora would not have a corporate payroll account to which to bill back significant training hours. Low volume stores are the worst as the staff never gets trained and there is little room or opportunity for growth if they don't increase volume so they resort to toxic antics to oust individuals from their positions rather than simply lead, train and develop the team so the entire group can move up and move on to other stores, if warranted. Our 7 core VIAs are dead! Long live Sephora Culture!

Advice to Management

I was thoroughly shocked by the discrepancy between the Sephora image and the Sephora reality. Operationally, this company is not ready for prime time and the cast members are much more unhappy than Instagram posts and Linked In nods would have one believe. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! Cast members value the time and investment that would be put into them if the company and the store leadership would just do it.

8. "Good Benefits"

I worked at Sephora full-time

Pros

great benefits and flex hours

Cons

bad pto policy and no room for growth.

Advice to Management

hire from within

"There's a high turnover rate for a reason...."

Former Employee - Color Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're eager to learn about the best new products, makeup techniques, or just some beauty knowledge, you'll learn so much from Sephora. Gratis is a great bonus perk too!

Cons

Lack of growth, favoritism, overworked with minimal pay

Advice to Management

Please learn to appreciate your employees more. If the store management showed a genuine interest in their casts's development, and not just when P4Ds's are due- and never heard of again, they would feel so much more appreciated. I've seen countless amazing employees leave the company due to being overlooked and overworked with no recognition. Put your employees first, and they will put the clients first.

"Great culture and learning experience - mediocre pay"

Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain
    Former Employee - Beauty Studio Captain

I worked at Sephora (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with some of the best artists and never stop learning. There are constant classes, growth programs, and company educators so you are always growing as an artist. The clients are so appreciative and the work is very fulfilling.

Cons

For a company with such revenue, they do not pay nearly as well as MAC, Blue Mercury, or other luxury brands. The bonus structure is vague and unclear.

Advice to Management

Pay your people better, even at the lowest level. I know so many talented artists who would work their way up and never stop giving to the company if their lives could only afford it.

Showing 2,208 of 2,690 reviews