Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor

1,217 reviews

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

1,217 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have never had a career in which work/life balance is a priority to the company that I work for (in 115 reviews)

• Friendly ppl environment free products (in 169 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedules are also released 3-4 days prior to the week it's for- so much for work-life balance (in 177 reviews)

• Little pay, no work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

"Management is horrible"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Mohegan, CT
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Mohegan, CT

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis, discount, making clients happy

Cons

Favoritism, bullying, no balance, intimidation

Advice to Management

My advice would be to treat people with respect and stop being fake. If the managers at this store don’t like you they purposely try to run you out of the store. You have to constantly suck up to them if you want to get any sort of advancement. That’s not how business works. The managers act like children. Are they even really adults? Don’t get me wrong, there are some really good managers that don’t act like this there. Favoritism also plays a role in your scheduling. They are constantly going through employees because of their poor management.

2. "Amazing Community"

Former Employee - Color Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fun place to work
    - Great staff

Cons

- tend to overhire - hard to get hours
    - hard to move up

Advice to Management

be more intentional about developing employees

"The ugliest side of Beauty you’ll ever see"

Former Employee - Lead in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Lead in Hartford, CT

I worked at Sephora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cast members and vendors were great to work with. They are the only reason for one star.

Cons

Too many to name! Though some include: Low or no training on company systems.
    Training is read to you out of a book to teach you the company culture.
    Mean girls type of environment, racist, ageist and way too many people with no experience in beauty in leadership positions.
    The pay is among the lowest in the industry.
    Training other than videos to watch while on the sales floor (stage) is non existent.
    Work life balance is unheard of. You’ll work more than your share of “clopens” and be refused any requests for time off. Yup, even for something 6 months from now.
    The culture and values that are written in the handbooks do not exist in the stores and unless you are willing to shame and degrade your cast the likelihood of you growing with the company isn’t going to happen.
    I found this to be a harmful and toxic environment?

Advice to Management

It’s difficult to advise management when the management is the problem.
    Pay attention to the employee satisfaction survey and what might not be said.

"Shaming in Information Technology"

Former Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good standard benefits: 401k, 1 month vacation, bonus, free stuff (expensive makeup/skincare/etc), heathcare + dental, etc.
    - FSC is located in downtown SF, right next to BART
    - Diversity
    - Company is doing very well and has been for a long time now

Cons

First off let me state that you will see a reoccurring theme of shaming in my review. By shaming I mean the act of publicly demeaning and humiliating someone, making them feel worthless (in the context of the job). It is not hyperbole, this is a real thing that is occurring at Sephora IT, and which I'm sure is part of the reason numerous long-term people have quit in the past few years, including many from my team.

Here are the cons:

- Worst management of all time, where I truly learned the difference between BOSS and LEADER. My boss was not a leader in the least bit. I was confused as to what my role was from day one, I never had any clear direction. Boss constantly shamed myself and members of my team for simple mistakes (which occurred frequently due to time constraints and lack of training), and for not knowing what we were supposed to be doing. Boss would often push responsibilities on the team without any form of training or communication of expectations, and criticize us when we had no clue as to how to do the job. We were given no time to learn and understand something, and were expected to be subject matter experts regardless. We were often told to know as much as the developers or engineers that owned the respective system or app, which is literally impossible without technical training. We were set up for failure constantly. No one on the team respected the boss' word, and everyone had resentment for the constant negativity. It was a bad sign when everyone on the team was apathetic and impossibly bored because of the lack of true leadership. I eventually learned not to care about what the boss thought (for the sake of my health), and I put as minimal of myself as possible into the job. I think the goal of a leader would be to want you to care by inspiring you to be a crucial part of the company. Not this boss.

- No work life balance. Although this is a value that the company pushes, it does not exist. Everyone was working constantly, 24/7. It's understandable to work some overtime, but when it happens because your team is managed like garbage, and can never get things done in an efficient way, it's unacceptable. Boss literally told me one time: "You never want to be known as the guy that leaves on time." I was expected to work late, for no other reason than having the appearance of being productive. Boss saw that it may have reflected on him negatively if it appeared that his full time employees were only working in the office 40hrs a week. He didn't seem to care that we were all working on our own time outside of the office, just to keep up with the workload and deal with constant high priority issues.

- Performance review system is not beneficial. As a full time employee you are required to establish goals annually with your manager and perform a performance review to see if you met your goals, and what you can do better. The idea is simple, set realistic goals to make yourself and the company better, and evaluate how you did. Not only did we not set any real goals, but we had no time to do it. Boss didn't care, didn't help or encourage in any way, and most likely forgot about it. I ended up doing the whole thing on my own, which is fine, but I didn't benefit in any way except for getting a bonus. If felt like I was just completing some process to say "hey pay me"; it did not push me in any way to establish real goals and benefit my career or the company.

- Lack of training. When I was hired on, there was promise that I could get proper training and have funding for classes to improve my skills. This did not happen. I was denied classes I wanted to take (even though there was dedicated budget for this, and the classes were relevant to my job). I was put into positions where I was definitely under qualified (which is fine, and actually a normal deal in IT), but was given absolutely no room to learn. In fact, I was often shamed for not knowing something, and shamed for when I would ask someone else for help. I was expected to learn intricate new technology on my own time, which frustrated me because boss had funding to pay for training. It seemed like a no brainer to pay for the employees training, but boss seemed more interested in using the money to fly himself out to expensive IT conferences (he did this frequently with the team's budget).

- Stupid processes. Many of the day to day process in IT support are incredibly wasteful and redundant. Any ideas or opportunities to improve the processes or automate certain tasks are (usually) shot down, because there is a status quo. This really kills any sort of ingenuity you might get from creative people; no one is going to want to make things better if they get berated for thinking different. IT pretends to follow the ITIL framework, but completely fails at it and wastes everyone's time. Often, you are working on something for no reason other than your manager has busy work for you to do. Many people do very well in IT, because they have mastered the act of looking busy. I saw many people literally surf the web for 7 hours out of the day, and actually work on real tasks for maybe 1 hour. They were able to do this because they somehow automated their tasks. Bottom line is that the environment is not designed for creating real value, and enables lazy people to surf through their jobs by pretending to look busy.

Advice to Management

- The management style in IT needs to change. There are a few managers that could probably be let go, especially the ones that rely on shaming, and do not have the respect of their employees. I don't think any sort of training could help these managers.

- Make an effort to train employees in technology that brings true expertise to IT, along with benefiting their careers. Look out for managers that do not spend their training budgets on their employees, and ask why. You will probably not get a good answer.

- Clean up the daily/weekly/monthly processes. Adopt something like Lean to get rid of the massive waste. The company could be saving tons of money by eliminating the wasteful processes. Look out for managers that waste their employee's productivity on nonsense tasks.

5. "Cash-wrap"

Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with all types of people and will easily make a couple of life long friends, the pay is pretty good, you can move up if you show your worth it
    Hours can be tricky but they do well to help you out

Cons

If you get America as your manager- you’re life will most likely be hell
    Hours can be tricky but they do well to help you out

Advice to Management

Be nice to everyone. Not everyone likes you either, but we can all be pleasant.

6. "Product is more like being a salesman"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager, Ecommerce in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager, Ecommerce in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of gratis, great people. Big on education for Physical product that is sold in stores. Really feel connected to stores

Cons

Poor leadership afraid to make decisions for fear of upsetting their peers. It’s a bit of the death by consensus here. You spend more time selling your idea than you do actual product management

Advice to Management

Please grow a pair and stand behind your team

"Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Color Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Everyone loves their job here
    -play with whatever products & receive ridiculous amounts of gratis
    -Lets you be creative
    -Room for growth in the company
    -Truly invested in your future
    -Team Oriented environment, no competition for commission

Cons

I can't name one con honestly!

Advice to Management

You're doing great!! <3

"Product Consultant"

Former Employee - Sephora Product Consultant in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Sephora Product Consultant in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great discounts, get to meet alot of people. good way to learn how to do makeovers

Cons

too much multitasking, managers we not properly trained. no training was given

Advice to Management

get trained

"Great perks and freebies, but the makeup culture can be stifling and fake"

Former Employee - Skincare Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Skincare Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to spend all day playing with makeup and perfume, you receive free makeup and other products once a week, can take home as many samples as you want, and receive discounts on products

Cons

Many superficial people work there as well as shop there. There is an expectation to push products to customers even when they clearly are not interested.

Advice to Management

Checking purses makes employees feel distrusted

"Please note this review is only for Sephora IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly breakfast on Thursday or Wednesday

Cons

This place is run like an extension of Indian Sweat Shop consulting company.
    There is no innovation and no quality work here. It works like a extension of Indian Software consulting services. This place is run by the slave drivers and employs bunch of incompetent consultants. from Indian consulting companies. All the work is outsourced to some or other consulting company.

Advice to Management

You guys are working like a mediator to consulting companies. Everyone is doing vendor management. Wake up before it is too late the business user can find their consultants or solution company so that you are no longer needed.

Showing 2,574 of 2,654 reviews