Sephora "full time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Sephora Employee Reviews about "full time"

Updated 20 Nov 2019

3.5
Sephora CEO Jean Andre Rougeot
Jean Andre Rougeot
Pros
Cons
  • "Hours aren’t always conducive to having a family work life balance(in 248 reviews)

• "If you're full time you should be good(in 119 reviews)

Reviews about "full time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free products, continuing education, chances to advance.

Cons

Hard to get full-time work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

Sephora2019-08-04
  2. "Equal parts perks and cons"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So much brand training and education, as well as GRATIS. Sephora is a wonderful place to work if you enjoy interacting with fun coworkers and clients and if you want to insert yourself into the beauty industry. You get trained in makeup application, and skincare so if you decide to leave, you're walking away with many new skills under your belt. Made all the cattiness and lack of solid hours worth it until it was... time for me to move on

Cons

WORK POLITICS WILL DRIVE YOU CRAZY. Managers probably gossip and talk more smack than the actual employees. You get promised raises just so they could work you harder and then give the raise to someone else. Work here but be smart about how trusting you are of management. When the store isn't doing well (almost all the time) hours get cut like crazy. Not the most stable job if ur part time. If you're full time you... should be good

Advice to Management

treat your employees like people and not machines.

Sephora2019-11-20

"The Company filled with Fake Caring"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for Sephora for a couple of years until I left due to a person in management who harassed any employee that had a difference in opinion than her. I use to visit the Field Support Center (FSC) many times (that's how invested I was with the company), and all I saw was those who took ideas from other employees for their own self-gain, ego infested "leaders", and wanting no future working with this company.... It's sad to see a company that was once thriving become so filled with employee's that have narcissistic personalities. I loved the brands that partnered with Sephora and the educators as they gave goodies to employees that have a strong work ethic. GRATIS COMES FROM BRANDS, NOT FROM SEPHORA.

Cons

If the store is behind on an hourly goal they will cut your hours, even if you are full-time. Favoritism. Bag searches to see if you are stealing. Guilt trip you if you don't take a promotion due to personal reasons. Not pay you more if you are given a promotion. No commission. Lack of accountability in some leadership members.

Sephora2019-10-07

"This company is not the same :("

Former Employee - Lead in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good opportunities to move up within the company. Supportive leadership team.

Cons

No work life balance if you are a full time employee. The company has free range over your schedule. Leadership and cast are occasionally scheduled 7 to 10 days consecutively. The company is undergoing a lot of changes and losing it's commitments to it's people.

Advice to Management

-Allow stores to accomadate staff according to what works for that store -Stay committed to people and values of work life balance

Sephora2019-09-27

"Sephora Used To Be A Great Company"

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Product discount, ridiculous amount of free product, fantastic training, fantastic benefits, access to all the newest beauty products and technology, frequent free food, wonderful coworkers and brand representatives.

Cons

You will be promised promotions and told what you want to hear, but you will rarely advance with this company. Micromanaging is unbearable here, your store management will SUFFOCATE you daily. Full-time used to be 40 hours a week, now it’s more like 29 which is quite the pay cut compared to when I started back in 2011. Retail can be tough no matter where you work but clients could be absolutely ruthless. With our... hours cut we never had enough staffing to get to all clients which resulted in upset shoppers and unmet goals. Theft got worse and worse and was hard to deal with. No matter how perfectly you do your job management will find fault with it. Management will harp on you to do your job the Sephora way and hurry up to help every client but when the store got busy they couldn’t be bothered to help you because as managers they were above helping clients, but they could delegate them to you and make them wait and wait for your help. It got too overwhelming in the end. They are not flexible AT ALL with scheduling so work life balance is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more for all you expect them to know/do. Give them hours so they can make their money and service clients and be happy while they do it. Give your employees the tools they need to succeed. Give them work/life balance and promote from within. Listen to your unhappy employees or they will leave. And offer the fantastic trainings (brand clusters, ENCORE, etc.) that you used to. Keep your employees... motivated and excited to come to work.

Sephora2019-06-26
  6. "Not great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Skincare Consultant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free products You get to help people

Cons

if you are part-time, even if you work 38 hours a week, you will be given all the shifts that are undesirable because the people coded as full-time get to basically pick their shifts

Advice to Management

stop exploiting people by working there 38 hours a week and then calling them part-time

Sephora2019-05-22
  7. "Good company and benefit packages."

Current Employee - Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company that has most of the benefits for the full-time employees. You also get to try product you sell.

Cons

Sometimes there is no work life balance at a retail store, depends on what kind of manager you have.

Advice to Management

Be more down to earth and your people. Lead by example as you say.

Sephora2019-03-29

"Diversity, Versatility and Inclusivity 24/7, 365!"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consistent Diversity, Versatility and Inclusivity at all times! Very trendy environment to work in. Sephora highly focuses on recognition, rather than commission.

Cons

Depending on the season and current full-time or part-time status, hours may vary.

Advice to Management

Remain inclusive to all employees and colleagues!

Sephora2019-03-10

"Great experience, if you can handle retail."

Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Abingdon, MD

I worked at Sephora full-time for less than a year

Pros

Connecting with clients and helping them feel confident and beautiful is definitely very rewarding. You get to learn a lot about makeup and skincare, and you get to positively impact people's lives. You also get free products in the form of monthly gratis. As SEC, it is your job to organize and distribute gratis. As SEC, you also gain good management/leadership experience. Working full-time as SEC gave me the... business foundation I needed to get accepted into my MBA program. You work in close partnership with the Operations Manager, Beauty Manager, and General Manager (my Sephora was inside a JCPenney). There is pretty good opportunity to advance within Sephora. I began as a Product Consultant, and was promoted to Senior Education Consultant within 4 months. You build strong relationships with your co-workers and managers and they can give you valuable recommendations down the road.

Cons

This is a retail sales job. If you hate retail and customer service, you will not like working at Sephora. Yes, you get to be around makeup all day, but this job is a LOT more than just playing with makeup. Since SEC is part of the leadership team, this position can be very stressful at times. You are responsible for on-boarding and training all associates, delivery the monthly education agenda, and driving... metrics such as Beauty Studio services, Beauty Insider registration, Love score, and of course, sales. Since this is a retail job, your schedule is going to be all over the place. Unless you have a fully flexible staff and a manager who sticks to a consistent schedule, you never know when you are going to be working until the schedule comes out. This makes it very hard to have a social life outside of work. You are always going to be working weekends, since those are the busiest days. At my location, if you wanted a day off, you needed to request it 3 entire weeks in advance. So if your friend invites you to hang out this weekend, forget it--you need to plan your life at least 3 weeks in advance. The biggest con is dealing with rude customers. People are often impatient when they have to wait for service, even when the store is extremely busy. Customers will get angry with you over high prices, even though you can't control price. They will argue over returns. They will abuse the sample system. They will ask you to do full-face makeovers and take up lots of your time without spending a dime in return. Another con is the fact that my location was inside a JCPenney. Working at SiJCP is different from working at a free-standing Sephora. At SiJCP locations, you are technically a JCPenney employee as your paycheck comes from JCPenney, not Sephora. Since our store was inside JCPenney, we were required to know what was going on outside of Sephora as well. We had customers ask us questions about JCP merchandise and sales all the time, and they got frustrated when we didn't know the answer. The BIGGEST con to working at an SiJCP is that you have to promote the JCPenney Credit Card, which they refer to as iCaps. Our manager was CONSTANTLY bugging us about getting iCaps. We had to ask every single customer, and if they said no, we had to try and convince them to apply. This was extremely frustrating, since most of our customer come to shop strictly at Sephora, and they don't care about JCPenney credit cards.

Advice to Management

Sephora is the reason JCPenney stays in business. Devote more staffing hours to Sephora so that we can actually cover the floor and make sales. Also, having to submit a time-off request 3 weeks in advance is ridiculous. You only need to give 2 weeks notice to quit your job, so why do you need 3 weeks notice for a day off? There is a reason turnover rate is so high.

Sephora2019-01-22

"I’m tired of being lied to"

Current Employee - Color Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gratis (free product) Employee discount Use of technology Newest and most buzzed about makeup, skincare, and fragrances

Cons

“Training” isn’t actual training, it’s people from brands just reading random facts or statistics off of a piece of paper It is almost impossible to move up within the company and be promoted and/or move from part-time to full-time employment The management will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to not quit, because it reflects poorly on them and the store you work in when employees quit.

Advice to Management

Follow through! Stop promising promotions, and stop promising that you will move employees to full-time from Part-time when you eiether have no intention of ever actually doing it, or you don’t have the authority or the final say in actually making the promotion a reality.

Sephora2018-12-19