Sephora "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sephora Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 13, 2019

3.5
Sephora CEO Jean Andre Rougeot
Jean Andre Rougeot
Pros
Cons
  • "Hours aren’t always conducive to having a family work life balance(in 249 reviews)

• "If you're full time you should be good(in 119 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brand training, growth, development

Cons

Hours aren’t always conducive to having a family work life balance

Sephora2019-11-11

"Great place to learn & grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

•Strong company culture & values •Career advancement opportunities if you’re willing to work hard & apply feedback •Store teams feel like family •It’s an equal balance of having fun & working hard •Benefits & 401k matching options •Getting to work with clients and helping them feel their best is very rewarding •You’re allowed to be yourself & look however you want.. makeup/no makeup/tattoos/piercings

Cons

•”Work life balance” is not a real thing when it comes to retail •Favoritism and politics are becoming more frequent •Decreased focus on training employees •Kinda sorta turning into Ulta

Advice to Management

Integrity & honesty are really important when it comes to strengthening or weakening a company culture. Everything you do trickles down to the store level. Don’t be a robot, talk to us like we’re people & try to get to know the people working in your stores. Also, celebrate successes.

Sephora2019-11-14

"ups and downs"

Former Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, Fast paced, great team, really encouraged great work life balance values /management was great in the beginning

Cons

management at my store location did not develop you unless you were a favorite

Advice to Management

please look at the numbers your employees are pulling in and their customer satisfaction reviews when they are looking to grow in the company and don't play favorites

Sephora2019-11-09

"False promises"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get lots of free product

Cons

Life balance but that is a lie the only ones that have work life balance our managers if that. Also you will be there for years on and with no raise for only a few cents which is basically a slap to the face with everything you have to do. They recently invested thousands of dollars if not millions into new technology when they could’ve Invested it into their employees.

Advice to Management

Offer more money so you don’t lose Quality employees.

Sephora2019-10-15

"This company is not the same :("

Former Employee - Lead in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good opportunities to move up within the company. Supportive leadership team.

Cons

No work life balance if you are a full time employee. The company has free range over your schedule. Leadership and cast are occasionally scheduled 7 to 10 days consecutively. The company is undergoing a lot of changes and losing it's commitments to it's people.

Advice to Management

-Allow stores to accomadate staff according to what works for that store -Stay committed to people and values of work life balance

Sephora2019-09-27

"Skincare Consultant"

Current Employee - Skincare Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Sephora part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

gratis, brand trainings/eduacation, leadership support- growth to move up w/in the company.

Cons

It's a struggle to negotiate a pay raise, qualifying for PTO, hours and fighting for a work life balance.

Sephora2019-09-10

"Sephora’s on a slippery slope"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- GRATIS is very generous IF you are in leadership or elevated roles. - You establish great working and personal relationships with coworkers and brand partners! It’s a great way to network and meet awesome people. - 20% discount on brands sold in store, and 40% on Sephora Collection. - Brand training and education is exciting and informative. I worked at the flagship location which may explain why we had... better trainings, brand founders would take the time to come in, etc. this varies from store to store. If you are in a lower volume- you will not receive the same treatment as higher doors. - with the right management, you will advance in your career.

Cons

- GRATIS gets distributed unfairly as said above. Some people have been known to never receive their gratis (I.e. favoritism). - work life balance does not exist here. There is a new availability policy which has caused SEVERAL part-time partial employees to lose their benefits because they couldn’t commit to the new agreement that was implemented this year causing several employees to either quit or become... part-time (without benefits). - This company violates many major labor laws (a lot of the people they hire are young and naive). A co-worker quit, because they refused bereavement for her grandfathers funeral (I understand state laws differ on this but this in my opinion lacks sympathy and compassion as a company who wants employees and clients to be fearless, etc). - Pay rate and appraisals are ludicrous here! It’s a billion dollar company where you are expected to go above and beyond your pay rate/role, but are paid the bare minimum. As someone who worked their way up to management, I can attest that even my climb up the ladder did not benefit me much. My pay raise with each promotion was GARBAGE. - If your resume is impressive, good. It doesn’t matter because your experience and pay rate will never be matched. - With external hires joining the company, it has become a remake of MEAN GIRLS- only with unprofessionalism and the inability to run a business properly. The store directors and district managers are not here for you, and do not care whether or not you grow within the company or how tenured you are. You are expendable, so remember that when you accept employment here. - Racially profiling customers/clients happen way too often here! Even as an employee/former employee shopping at other locations, I have been uncomfortably watched and followed but quickly changed when I inform them I’m a manager at another store, lol. This shows that hiring and training is done poorly! - The “We Belong” campaign about inclusivity is a way for Sephora to pull their heads out their butts (sorry not sorry) from all the trouble/bad publicity they’ve been in. - FYI, if your color matches suck, it’s because employees always call out, and other workers are pulled from their worlds to help aid in color/skin worlds. Most of the time, they are cashiers who have received no color trainings (hence why the color matches are off). - corporate employees rarely come from working in stores, and never take feedback from in store employees about things that do or do not work. - organized retail crime is a real scary thing here, and if you do not “client service” them- you risk getting in trouble for “not deterring theft” even if you risk getting physically or verbally assaulted. These are criminals- do not approach these types of people! - with the wrong management, you will be left with no advancement or placement.

Advice to Management

Do your jobs and stop pawning off your duties to employees lower than you! They are not being paid manager salary to be doing manager work! If you insist on being lazy and sitting in the back office to gossip and chit-chat; then your employees deserve that $28/hour salary that you have as well (which is also quite low for a manager).

Sephora2019-09-26

"So disappointing"

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You learn about top brands.. training is amazing. Plus great gratis.

Cons

Management don’t appreciate their employees.. always being talked down too.. micromanaging.. no work life balance. Don’t care about employees.

Advice to Management

Don’t be so condescending.. Do more! Listen to your employees and do something about the problems going on.

Sephora2019-09-03

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Planner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gratis, ability to quickly learn and gain exposure to full business.

Cons

Work life balance was almost non existent, complete toxic environment where management plays chess with employees careers and only promote their friends. Nearly impossible to get ahead as all promotions are pre-determined and managers only promote those within their own departments. VP and senior management have no external experience, so processes never improve as they can’t relate to how things are done at more... efficient companies. Planner job is essentially a “jack of all trades” role.

Advice to Management

Need to shake up management in order to improve culture and organizational efficiency.

Sephora2019-09-24
  10. "Energetic/fun work environment, amazing teamwork/training,"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

- team/culture: i worked with talented individuals who always had my back, whether it was with product knowledge, tasks, or staying positive. - values: especially considerations of work/life balance, acceptance of all, everyone is ready to take initiative with or without specific incentives - learning opportunities: learned so much about products, how to communicate effectively, how to sell/demo products, how... stores operate - fulfillment: the feeling of satisfaction after performing well on a given day or client interaction, building new connections, feeling of responsibility and purpose

Cons

- upper mobility is iffy, mostly because of limited space for it and roles that the store needs to have filled - support resources can be limited, but this also taught me self-reliance and discipline - working as a part-time cashier can seem hectic due to requirement of weekend availability, with constant client interaction and pushback of other tasks to work POS, but this also teaches multitasking and how to... handle high pressure

Advice to Management

keep on doing what you do, because you do it well. thank you for being there for employees regardless of position. always have faith in what your employees can do and don't give up on them!

Sephora2019-08-14