Sequel Youth & Family Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Sequel Youth & Family CEO John Stupak
John Stupak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The position offered a moderately flexible schedule, and ability to work from home as needed (in 3 reviews)

• Helping kids who have had hard lives is very fulfilling (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management not effective, a lot of required overtime, low pay (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and emotionally demanding (in 5 reviews)

1. "Woodward Academy"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Woodward, IA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Woodward, IA

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the main reasons why I enjoy working at Woodward Academy is being a part of the Woodward Academy Family, my coworkers and attending WA Knights Athletic events. Every single day I feel appreciated and supported at my position and enjoy seeing our students succeed whether it is academically or athletically!

Cons

I wish there were more hours in the day, as I have a lot to complete each day!

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make our campus better. WA already does a good job but there is always room for improvement!

2. "Team Palm Beach!! The Bulldog Family"

Current Employee - Business Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Business Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for Sequel. Ive been employed since April 1, 2016 and Ive had nothing but positive experiences!!!

Cons

nothing to report at this time

Advice to Management

Continue to promote HIPP! And give our youth the best care possible!

3. "CA- Eagle"

Current Employee - Youth Counselor in Clarinda, IA
    Current Employee - Youth Counselor in Clarinda, IA

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the kids! Helping them was beyond amazing, and influencing them through conversations, phase work, and just being a stern authority figure is helpful! I can honestly say, I loved helping young kids change their mindset and become productive members of society.

Cons

TEAM LEADERS! The amount of team leaders leaving and the terrible ones that stayed is just insane. They all ran their dorm very different which contributed to a norms gap and it seemed like many did not care to fix the problem. I felt as though I learned everything the first 5 or so months on my own because I had no group leader and when I did it was very obvious they lacked in training as well. The fact that several times, my team and I were at odds with upper level management such as case managers and team leaders for their negative feedback and not being on dorm to judge what was actually going on with the kids.

Advice to Management

Get with the team outside of work to build up trust and an understanding as to who the other person is! Because several times, I did not know if my boss was joking or if he was serious because we did not have that relationship! Talk to your employees and make them feel comfortable having a conversation about anything with you.

4. "Worst Company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Direct Care Provider in Prescott Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Direct Care Provider in Prescott Valley, AZ

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients are amazing and you get a lot of hands on experience. That being said, even this is a con when they don't give you ANY training on what to expect or how to deal with people with boarder line personality disorder, paranoid delusions, bipolar depression, schizophrenia, and a host of other psychiatric disorders. And then they don't back you up at all.

Cons

I worked as a Direct Care Provider for men with various mental illnesses in a transitional home. The staff was terrible. I hated working there. I got no training what so ever on the various mental illnesses that I was dealing with. One of the staff members was telling our clients that Jesus was an alien who was going to come back to earth one day in a space ship. Another employee regailed us with stories about how she once hung her neighbor by a rope from a tree. Another employee cursed at the clients and called them names. When I spoke to my manager about these incidents she didn't even care.

As a brand new employee, having never worked in the mental health field, my manager chose me to be a mentor to a client with borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia. I was given no instruction on how to mentor him.

I have spoken to at least 3 other former employees that I did not work with and did not know at the time of my employment. They all had similar experiences with this company.

Advice to Management

Start caring about who you are hiring and how they are doing their jobs. Start giving training to your employees on the different types of mental illnesses that they will be dealing with. Stop feeding your employees to the wolves.

5. "Residential Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norris, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norris, TN

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time

Pros

Extremely rewarding working with kids with learning disabilities.

Cons

Raises do not happen. Employees get hurt by residents and go to the ER.
    Lack of stability from management.
    Inconsistent regulations.

"Rather not say"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the youth is beyond rewarding!

Cons

Best candidates for positions within this corporation are passed over for much less qualified individuals who are in "the good ole boys club ".........for lack of a better term.

Advice to Management

Look more closely at your prospects for positions within this corporation. Stop hiring people before the job is even posted and making more qualified candidates jump through unnecessary hoops.

7. "Youth care worker"

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family friendly atmosphere. Focuses on changing the lives of troubled youth.

Cons

staffing. Workers required to hold over when call offs occur and no coverage is available

Advice to Management

Create prn/ as needed positions to cover call offs and vacations

8. "Youth care worker"

I worked at Sequel Youth & Family full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, quick hire

Cons

Mandatory overtime, unorganized, no structure

9. "EVP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary"

Current Employee - General Counsel and Corporate Secretary in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - General Counsel and Corporate Secretary in Phila, PA

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere with extremely competent and professional workers across the board. The work itself can be extremely emotional but the reward when seeing a positive impact is tremendous.

Cons

Tremendous amount of travel but it's actually worth it when you're visiting programs across the country.

Advice to Management

Share more stories of success at your programs with the youth and families we serve.

"BHT"

I have been working at Sequel Youth & Family full-time

Pros

The hours are typically manageable. The clients are amazing people with wonderful stories. It is easy to make friendly with MOST of your coworkers. House managers are very understanding. Decent benefits.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate resulting in covering shifts which means long hours (~15) The ‘higher ups’ are usually extremely rude and condescending. The pay is absolutely despicable - I had to get a second job. Office politics are out of hand. Senior staff are the laziest people I hav ever met with no consequences for any of their actions.

Advice to Management

When you have a position that requires 4+ years (or a degree) for experience, raise your pay to equal that.