Sequoia Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sequoia CEO & Founder Greg Golub
Greg Golub

Pros
  • Great people who care a lot about being of service to and coming through for others (in 8 reviews)

• And the culture comes from the very top which is critical in making it such a great place to come to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing rapidly and striving for ways to even further improve the customer experience, so there's a lot going on (in 6 reviews)

• The company is under the direction of a CEO who often changes his mind on how to do things from one moment to the next (in 3 reviews)

"Great company, great culture, great Management!"

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing very fast and making the right investments in Technology and Solutions. The teams are very motivated and dedicated towards making Sequoia a competetive and fun place to work. The Technology team is very smart and collabortaive and are making some really awesome software solutions to make everybody's day so much more efficient.

Cons

Lot of initiatives and lot of competing responsibilities to make them exceed expectations. It does get a little overwhelming at times but challenges are the best part of the day.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive of the teams and is very approachable.

"Cool Place to Work"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are smart and fun and the leadership cares about us as people - good benefits, generous PTO, cool company events and outings. The company fosters a team approach. We get to work with cool clients. There are nice perks for staying with the company for many years. The company values community engagement and has a community impact program to help us do volunteer work locally and globally.

Cons

The business is seasonal and the busiest time is at the end of the year -- so most stressful during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring! We need more good people.

"Great, growing company"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry leader in consulting with venture-backed startups on their employee benefits. Entrepreneurial, vibrant culture that's been able to remain consistent even with explosive growth given the great management team.

Cons

None that I can think of, currently.

"SOFTWARE ENGINEER"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though Sequoia is a service company, the company has strong technology focus. Their technology group developed a world class mobile app and has a lot of software products with cool technology. Management has vision for the company that is dependent of developing leading technology that can transform the delivery of corporate human resources service.

Cons

I can not think of any.

"Abysmal Environment - Enter at Your Own Risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends; some of the folks there are amazing
    Annual party is lavish

Cons

Burn and churn; despite the higher pay, not worth it
    The culture is genuinely fake. Everyone is talking the speak but they are also muttering under their breath "FML". I actually heard a colleague say this as he got up to receive his 6month backpack
    Everyone is terrified of the CEO; he has control issues which stymies progress and then he demands to know why things aren't moving faster

Advice to Management

My biggest regret to date. I wish I had taken the other negative reviews more seriously and heeded their warnings.

"Amazing culture of values and commitment to customer!"

Current Employee - Vice President, Strategic Solutions in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Strategic Solutions in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Of the many companies for which I have worked in the last 25 years, this was by far the best recruiting and on-boarding experience, and my first 30 days have been incredible.

The company is careful and thoughtful in its hiring process to assess both skills/job fit AND culture/"Sequoia" fit. The values are front and center, and the talent team is seasoned, professional, and transparent. The on-boarding includes both formal and informal paths to get new hires to connect in their role, department, and the overall company. All of the 'best practices' are present: new hire orientation, socialization activities, mentor/buddy partnering, 30 daily stand up meeting for 15 min of connecting with a leader to calibrate, and success tracking from day one!

The work environment is modern, open plan, and tastefully decorated. Lots of big and little collaboration spaces, glass walls everywhere for lots of natural light, and a killer cafe/kitchen with great snack food options, beer/Kombucha on tap, and both community and restaurant booth seating. Did I mention the periodic visits from comfort animals? Service dogs, cats, and bunnies stop by for visits, and we have on-site wellness / yoga / massage resources! Great benefits package too, because that is our product!

The leadership is visible and engaged in every element of the business, with lots of all hands meetings, weekly management collaboration, and celebration time. Announcements of birthdays, anniversaries, and life events draw out the family feeling on a daily basis.

All of this great culture results in amazing customer relationships, a blue ribbon client list / reputation, and a great/profitable business! Lots of fun to be winning!

Cons

The work load is seasonal in several roles, and that can create significant stress for certain roles.

Advice to Management

Keep that culture going!

"Horrid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of young people
    Benefits vision of the CEO
    Fun environment
    Growing and successful
    Welcoming, great onboarding and supportive team

Cons

Oh, where to start:
    Micromanaging CEO
    No discussion, everybody is scared of the CEO
    If CEO likes you, you are ok, if not, intrigue and you are on your way out
    Employees feel like lemmings, those that don't follow and want discussion are soon out

Advice to Management

None, it is a private company so the CEO can do whatever he wants:BUT

Make sure you talk to a former employee before you accept a job there
    Listen to the language the employee speak, you will soon find out that everybody uses the same enthusiastic words that cover up any independent thought

"Inspiring mission and amazing people"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am humbled every day by being part of this team. In sales, operational, management and client service positions through my career, I found a home where I can continue to be challenged every day, while having support in all areas. Everyone is at Sequoia to create something special. The CEO is brilliant and knows that success is more than just bottom line numbers.

Cons

Sequoia moves fast. When something is off or can be improved, they are all over it. This can be challenging if change is difficult for an employee to adopt. If coming from a large bureaucratic entity, adjustment to this culture can feel uncomfortable. Luckily, Sequoia hires employees who thrive on creating amazing opportunities for its people and awesome experiences for its clients.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and in the tools and resources to create world-class experiences for your employees and clients.

"Great pay, bad culture"

I worked at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll meet many great people while working here. The pay and benefits are both very competitive. There are regular events/activities to try to engage employees.

Cons

Employees are expected to work much longer hours than at competing companies. People who appear to be happy or ahead on their work are treated with resentment. Projects often start and are cancelled without warning. Management is not open to constructive criticism. Recruiting team would directly tell employees to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor to counteract bad reviews.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee criticism. Don't allow people in management positions to demean their coworkers. Let go of managers who aren't competent at their positions.

"A Company and Culture That Truly Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company and culture that I have ever been a part of. Very humble and caring group of people with meaningful goals and work on a daily basis. After being employed here for eight months, I still feel the same as I did while going through the interview and onboarding process. Absolutely amazing.

Cons

Just need to keep developing and being drivers as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Everything is on the rise and always improving!