Sequoia Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Sequoia CEO & Founder Greg Golub
Greg Golub

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people who care a lot about being of service to and coming through for others (in 9 reviews)

• And the culture comes from the very top which is critical in making it such a great place to come to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing rapidly and striving for ways to even further improve the customer experience, so there's a lot going on (in 6 reviews)

• Even if you think the job is legit because of how hard the interview process, think again (in 4 reviews)

1. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Sequoia full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Leadership, especially the executives, who really care
    - Explosive growth

Cons

- Rapid growth is hard to catch up with

2. "Love my Sequoia Family"

Current Employee - Recruiting & Talent Coordinator in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting & Talent Coordinator in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone genuinely cares about the company & what they are doing.
    We have some amazing people that make the job worthwhile & rewarding.
    The way the CEO, Greg treats his employees, their wellbeing & recognizes their contributions to the company is something you don't often see.

Cons

Intense interview process, but if it is the right fit for you you will enjoy every part of it.

"Great Culture - Great Team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Overall great benefits package
    - Pay is at benchmark or above
    - Very smart, hard-working team
    - Impressive leadership team
    - CEO is smart, dedicated, and has a clear vision that is constantly shared with everyone
    - Fun parties, lavish fully-paid, weekend Anniversary party
    - Culture is like no other. People truly care about their clients and their team.
    - Roll up your sleeves type work environment. Just get it done.
    - Drama free... always a plus!

Cons

- Everyone works tons of hours (nights and some weekends). This is the norm. If you are looking for a 9 to 5 with work-life balance, this is not the place.
    - No work from home options.
    - Expected to "dress the part" daily. Casual day only once a month but even then restrictive.

Advice to Management

Your employees are burnt-out. They love the company, the culture, and the work... but they are tired. I fear you will lose smart, dedicated people if you don't pay more attention to this. Continue to focus on the culture and continue to be transparent. This is working!

"Feel inspired and blessed to be part of this twam"

I have been working at Sequoia full-time

Pros

It's not every day you have the opportunity to build something special and be around positive energy like this place. I suspect some of the very few negative reviews come from former employees who might do better in a beaucratic environment where decisions get stuck in committees and progress is slow.

Cons

Decisions get made fast and you need to be excited about change and progress. Not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep making it happen! Happy to be on the train!

"Fake and passive aggressive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The values they share at every single meeting and post throughout their office are great. Shame they don't live any of them.

Cons

* They hire for the sake of hiring, but management has no idea what to do with employees once they get them.
    * Brag about working as a team, but watched coworkers and management literally roll their eyes when a new hire was speaking.
    * Don't take training or 1:1's seriously, team member asked for help with a work problem every check-in and instead of getting help to solve it, they fired her when they decided that was too much work.

Advice to Management

Grow up and start treating people with basic human respect.

"Great energy, rapidly growing offices in both CA and NY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Speaking to the NY office, the amount of energy in this office is overwhelming. We have such a fantastic team here, everyone is willing to learn and pitch in where needed to expand our office and more importantly come through for clients. The amount of innovative ideas we have in here is incredible. I really enjoy coming into work each day. We work hard and we have a lot of fun while doing so.

Cons

Our NY office is currently much smaller than the CA offices, so there's a different dynamic between the three offices (two in CA, one in NY). The NY office definitely has more of a "startup" feel than headquarters in San Mateo and our PEO division in CA. Also, we need more set processes in place. I know Sequoia is actively working on this, but once we have these rolled out to all sectors of the company I think the inefficiencies we tend to find will be resolved.

Advice to Management

There should be more clarity around the bonus structure and what to expect.

"Great company, great culture, great Management!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing very fast and making the right investments in Technology and Solutions. The teams are very motivated and dedicated towards making Sequoia a competetive and fun place to work. The Technology team is very smart and collabortaive and are making some really awesome software solutions to make everybody's day so much more efficient.

Cons

Lot of initiatives and lot of competing responsibilities to make them exceed expectations. It does get a little overwhelming at times but challenges are the best part of the day.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive of the teams and is very approachable.

"Abysmal Environment - Enter at Your Own Risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sequoia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends; some of the folks there are amazing
    Annual party is lavish

Cons

Burn and churn; despite the higher pay, not worth it
    The culture is genuinely fake. Everyone is talking the speak but they are also muttering under their breath "FML". I actually heard a colleague say this as he got up to receive his 6month backpack
    Everyone is terrified of the CEO; he has control issues which stymies progress and then he demands to know why things aren't moving faster

Advice to Management

My biggest regret to date. I wish I had taken the other negative reviews more seriously and heeded their warnings.

"SOFTWARE ENGINEER"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though Sequoia is a service company, the company has strong technology focus. Their technology group developed a world class mobile app and has a lot of software products with cool technology. Management has vision for the company that is dependent of developing leading technology that can transform the delivery of corporate human resources service.

Cons

I can not think of any.

"Cool Place to Work"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are smart and fun and the leadership cares about us as people - good benefits, generous PTO, cool company events and outings. The company fosters a team approach. We get to work with cool clients. There are nice perks for staying with the company for many years. The company values community engagement and has a community impact program to help us do volunteer work locally and globally.

Cons

The business is seasonal and the busiest time is at the end of the year -- so most stressful during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring! We need more good people.