KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.3
Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Service Corporation International and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Growth Opportunities Encouraged

Nov 22, 2021 - Learning Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from leadership for self development. I love the collaborative environment that is provided and encouraged.

Cons

Taking time off and truly being able to detach from work. There are always projects going and that means I typically work a few hours on my off days.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to work for! I am making a different to every family that I served everyday! I love my job!

Nov 16, 2021 - Pre-planning Advisor in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company! A lot of families need someone professional to give them the professional advise to make the best decision for their loved one, the company provides a lot of intensive trainings to equip us to serve the families, our clients properly. I am so proud to be part of the team. Great support from management, my manager & directs are AWESOME, give me guidance, went to meeting with me, give me constructive feedback to help me grow! Great rewards if you follow the process and work hard with a plan.

Cons

A lot pressures! not for everyone!

3. 5.0

Love the job

Nov 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to help people in their time of need is a great job. It feels good to put your head on the pillow at night knowing you did something good. The people I work with (my team and most of the Funerals Directors) are amazing to work with. And management is very supportive and exemplify the company values.

Cons

My only con is the pay scale. I have 2 master degrees and think the pay scale should reflect levels of education. Plus the years in my other career should also be reflected in the pay. But I fully understand why the pay is what it is....so this a fairly minor "con" to me. Oh yeah, the benefits are amazing!

4. 5.0

EXCELLENT PLACE TO WORK!

Nov 12, 2021 - Campaign Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Endless amount of resources for support in whichever role you're in! - Surrounded by a team that truly reflects our core values of Respect, Integrity, Service Excellence, & Enduring Relationships! - There is always constant recognition for everyone in our team! - There is always constant feedback and suggestions given in order to continue improving. - The relationships I get to create both at work and outside of work when I'm at grass roots events! - I'm PASSIONATE that I'm part of a company whose role is protecting families by eliminating one of life's most tragic events by offering pre-planning services to everyone!

Cons

I can't think of one!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best management I’ve ever had

Nov 16, 2021 - Pre Planning Advisor in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve never met a more nurturing management team than the Houston PPA. There is some good money to be made, and it is meaningful work that makes a difference. A lot of time, money, and effort is invested in us to be successful.

Cons

It’s a lot of work, a lot of hearing no, and a lot of emotional rollercoasters until you get yourself established.

6. 5.0

Dedicated, Engaged and Innovative

Nov 15, 2021 - Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many positive reasons to work in the funeral and cemetery industry and be employed with Service Corporation International, (SCI). SCI is a great place to work and an industry leader. SCI takes an active role in improving industry practices and standards and provides unparalleled service to its families and believes that nothing is more important than servicing clients with the highest ethical stands. I can personally attest to this, I have worked in the funeral industry for 23 years, the last 17 have been with SCI. I am an office manager at one of SCI’s funeral home locations. As an employee we are offered continued learning and development, competitive incentives and unique opportunities for growth, both professionally and personally. Dignity University, Mentorship Training, The Inspire Series, are just a few of the available development programs employees can participate in along with recognition and reward programs. We also have Associate Resource Communities, (ARCS). I participate in three of our ARCs. They offer unique insight to better serve our customers and communities and each other. SCI recognizes that diversity of thought, experiences, and backgrounds will lead to better business results. Currently SCI has four ARCS. SCI supports and encourages associates to give back to the communities we serve through volunteerism and the national and local programs we sponsor. Another great part of being an employee with SCI are the employee benefits provided to us, they are innumerable. To share with you just a few, we have a company match 401(k), multiple choice combinations for employer-subsidized medical, vision, and dental coverage. A Wellness Program and Wellness Credit. Annual accruable Holiday, Vacation and Sick, time off, Bereavement and Maternity leave. We have very unique benefits like our Employee Assistance Program, Adoption Assistance Program, Military Paid Leave, and specific to our industry, Employee Funeral and Cemetery Benefits and there are many more. Working at SCI, has allowed me to continue my college education and earn my Bachelor in Business Management, an achievement that will continue to help me further grow and be an asset to SCI. It’s wonderful when people ask me what I do for a living. I get to say that I work at a funeral home, a Dignity Memorial Provider, and I honor and preserve a family’s loved one by creating a meaningful memorial to truly celebrate the life of their loved one. SCI is represented by many department positions - corporate, sales, cemetery, funeral home, crematory, care centers, to name a few. We extend compassion, kindness, and courtesies to families and that may seem old-fashion but these characteristics are very important, especially in today’s times where these values are so profoundly needed. If you are someone who is compassionate about helping others and wants to work with other like-minded individuals, to be a stakeholder with a company that is dedicated, engaged and innovative, then I highly encourage you to apply with SCI. I know the future holds amazing things to come for SCI.

Cons

Working one on one with families in the funeral industry you will encounter emotional families, sadness, death but you will need to take these experiences to learn more about them. Educate yourself to be a better listener, a mentor and support.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent company

Nov 15, 2021 - Location Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company truly cares for it's employees. As we serve families in need, our company is supporting us from every angle to make sure we have the tools to succeed. There is opportunity to progress, and training opportunities for each job role. Our corporate office works hard to ensure differences are celebrated and everyone feels accepted at work.

Cons

The funeral industry is emotionally and physically trying at times. The workload varies from day to day and is unpredictable at times, but for those of us who have chosen this, it proves to be extremely rewarding as well.

8. 5.0

Lots of Opportunity

Nov 15, 2021 - Sales Trainer in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positional growth available to everyone Commissions and Bonuses surpass most sales industry standards There are a lot of training resources available You can see weekly tenure announcements showing people with 30, 40, and 50 + years with the company. Where else do you find that today??

Cons

The industry is not for everyone. If you're going into sales, know you're going into a non retail sales environment. This is not a bad thing, if you have that understanding. The pay is worth it if you make it work!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Life Changing

Nov 4, 2021 - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

This has been a life changing experience. We are in a service industry and the attention to detail from our services are second to none. I particularly enjoy the sales side because we help families plan ahead. The families we help have the peace of mind knowing they have uplifted both a financial and emotional burden from the loved ones that are left behind when we pass. It’s literally helping someone leave one last gift of love to their family as well as planning a celebration of the legacy they left through the life they lived. So awesome.

Cons

There is always the pressure of doing better and quotas increasing. But who doesn’t want to be better?

10. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Nov 11, 2021 - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I feel very fortunate to work with such an awesome company. As a long time employee I can honestly say that hard work and dedication is most definitely rewarded. We have unlimited support and training from all levels of management. Our culture is one that is extremely supportive of everyone. Great benefits and the opportunity to grow as much as you wish. I am a very proud and honored to work here.

Cons

I really have no cons. SCI is always changing to meet the needs of their employees as well as our client families.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 259 Reviews