KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,093 of over 1,117 reviews

3.8
Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan
Pros
  • "It's a good feeling knowing that you are helping families navigate through some very emotional times(in 61 reviews)

• "Great benefits plan with a healthy contribution from the company(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Funeral Service has long hours, after 42 years of funeral service it is a calling to serve others(in 46 reviews)

• "I feel upper management pits counselors against each other in order to win(in 41 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Service Corporation International and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great Place To Work!

Jul 28, 2021 - Recruiter II in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

SCI is supportive of its employees and looks at each person as an investment to the company. They support growth within and team comradery.

Cons

SCI does not have any downsides!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Increasingly progressive company

Jul 26, 2021 - Director in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

SCI has made tremendous and bold strategic moves to ensure the Company's culture and products and offerings match that of the people who are part of the Company's biggest asset: it's people. Examples of courageous leadership includes creating ARCs (to ensure the company includes people of color, LGBTQ+ , women, and veterans as part of the Company's strategy), transformational marketing (to ensure we meet the needs of face-to-face and virtual customers), online streamed services offered to families who are unable to travel, and commitments to removing people in leadership roles who do not practice, in both perception and actuality, the core values and ideologies of the Company. I am a Black, female, and heavy advocate for all communities and I believe SCI offers not just a career, but a sense of belonging and an opportunity to affect change in the world.

Cons

Glass ceilings still exist for people of color in the executive suite, but I am hopeful that this will change in near future years to come.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Wonderful industry, cannot recommend company

Jul 15, 2021 - Funeral Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Getting to assist families during their time of need, serving your community and meeting people from all walks of life, no day is ever the same. Very fair insurance for employees and pretty good benefits.

Cons

Mismanagement across numerous locations, unfair/poor treatment to staff from management, training isn’t the greatest, more of a “throw you in the deep end to see if you swim”. Absolutely no work life balance. It’s unspoken but almost expected for you to dedicate way more than 40 hours a week but management won’t do the same. Usually get asked to come in and work on days off, constantly on call.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic work environment with lots of duties with little room for advancement.

Jul 21, 2021 - Office Assistant in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

One star for the mission behind helping families. Another star for the handful of decent people who are compassionate and love what they do.

Cons

Was mislead when told during the interview that there is room for growth and advancement. Experiences might differ across locations, but I had a not so good one in my office. I took this job on the contingency that I was given a specific raise after evaluation because what they offered was less than ideal. To prove myself, I worked hard and kept a good attitude. I improved filing systems and made reference sheets for the sales team which ultimately benefited me too with families having less questions for me. I received a stellar performance review this spring, but only a 17 cent raise came out of it. People throw each other under the bus and it’s all about one upping each other to gain power over another person or department. There are whispers and people make mean jokes then cackle about a person when they’re not in the room. When that laughed at person is in front of them, they are their best friend and ask if they want to get lunch. Sick? They’ll make it incredibly difficult to take off and question the validity of your absence. Vacation? They’ll try to call you to ask questions when they could find the answer themselves if they looked at the issue for a couple minutes. They’ll also make you finish all your work for the time you’ll be gone which could mean working 2-3 weeks in advance. When you get back, there will be a mountain of paperwork to do because you were barely filled in for while you were out. I worked multiple roles as it’s a small office and often found myself responsible of extra duties and my compensation did not come close to meeting my efforts. Recently corporate launched a wellness program. I thought this would be a nice redemption from my poor experience, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to utilize it. When I tried to sign up, I received a notice that my credentials don’t match anyone in their system. I reached out to management right away, but haven’t gotten a response. To be fair, there are a few people that I appreciate, but it’s not enough to make me stay or recommend this as a great place to work.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place, if management is good.

Jul 17, 2021 - Funeral Director/Embalmer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits (time off, 401k match, paid maternity leave, etc)

Cons

Poor management can make your job awful

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Pretty Good

Jul 16, 2021 - Funeral Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work part time. Decent hourly pay.

Cons

In consistent scheduling. You will work 1-39 hours a week.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Biggest corporation in the industry but can not afford to pay employees a living wage?

Jun 13, 2021 - Funeral Assistant in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

room for growth, flexible schedule, serving families

Cons

politics with management, meager pay, no one can exceed 30 hours except management, no one is afforded benefits or full time except management.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sales Draw

Jul 12, 2021 - Family Service Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a fulfilling feeling to help those in a time of need.

Cons

You felt like you had to exploit people in vulnerable situations to make a living. Also, you are paid hourly or commission (whichever is greater). The catch is that you have to pay back all of your hourly pay.

9. 5.0

Great Mentorship

Jun 28, 2021 - Pre-planning Advisor in North Hollywood, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership is full of great and tenured people. Tons of room for growth

Cons

Must know your way around the computer.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Apr 15, 2021 - Corporate Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, awesome people very good senior management.

Cons

The current management structure has eliminated most of the cons for me, the one thing I would say is they need to strengthen their upper level field management. To many "sacred cows" that are not held accountable.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,093 Reviews