Service Corporation International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Service Corporation International President, CEO, and Director Thomas L. Ryan
Thomas L. Ryan

Pros
  • Helping Families in their time of need (in 19 reviews)

• Educating families on pre-planning their burial and cremation needs and also helping families with there cemetery needs (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and days, tough commitment (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management and Sales director have no clue how to communicate or motivate employees (in 27 reviews)

"Pretty Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The corporate office offers a very laid back and open environment, at least in my department. Management is very open to hear our ideas and very understanding of our needs.

Cons

The only real downside is that your contribution for benefits is excessive compared to other organizations of their size.

Advice to Management

Probably just to streamline their communication a bit more.

2. "Great career opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Opportunities for advancement throughout country. Recognition and awards for a job well done. No cap on earnings potential for sales team.

Cons

Service Corp International is a big company. Due to its size, it does not move as quickly as a small company could in tough economic conditions.

Advice to Management

Allow the local offices to have more input in how to conduct day to day business operations. Need more autonomy.

"Cemetery Sales Counselor"

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with SCI for 1 and 1/2 years. The company is dilligent in training their employees with an online schooling.You are trained from the beginning and frequently thoughout your tenure.
    You work with families that have a death in the family or are pre-planning for thier own burial.
    If you like people and can be strong in your belief to assist them, you will do well. This is a sales position as well. Working in a cemetery is about building family heritage. Families get together for holidays and all sorts of celebrations. It stands to reason families would want their final resting place to be together. That is what I do as a counselor, assist families in planning their final resting place. I have made an excellent salary with the company, but have worked many hours to acheive that salary.
    We have a new commission structure that changed from salary plus commission to full commission with a by-weekly draw. The new plan allows us to be paid more quickly on our sales and removes the minimum level you must sell at to get a commission. It is more beneficial this way.
    I have worked for another company in the death care industry and find SCI to be the most professional. Great benefits, health care, vacation and sick leave.

Cons

If you are looking to work 40 hours a week, this is not the job for you.
    We work on many holidays and weekends because that is the time families are available to be seen.

Advice to Management

It might be better to have a classroom setting for new hires instead of learning in the location. That way they have more time with a trainer than they have with a manager that is trying to teach them while they are working.

"SCI Is Made Up of Great People Who Work to Make Lives Better"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

SCI is a company aimed at making lives better. The people who work for the company, especially those in the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries), are compassionate and provide good feedback on services provided. I didn't realize when I took the job with SCI that I would consistently receive good feedback from my peers and my internal customers (field associates). I also believe my ethics are upheld by this corporation, not only through the company's core values, but through our practice and messaging.

Cons

Communication within the company could be improved (ie, structure, resources, etc). I am still a bit confused as to how the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries) is structured. The intranet is useful but difficult to use. I don't use most of the links and applications within the intranet because they are not described well on their landing pages and/or I don't know where to find what I am looking for.

Advice to Management

Communicate how the company is structured and what resources are available internally to new hires. Create a guide to the company's intranet that is easily found on the intranet's homepage. Rename markets to better reflect the geographic regions they represent. The arbitrary names are difficult to discern to corporate associates or associates in other markets in other states.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compassionate, Caring and dedicated to treating employees and client families with the utmost respect and dignity

Cons

nothing bad about this company

Advice to Management

Increase paid time off.

6. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to be there to assist with helping counsel and assist families go through the pain of lost a love one

Cons

Watching families go through the grief process and pain of the loss of their love one can be difficult

Advice to Management

As a Sales Manager, educating customers the importance to be financially prepared for the loss of a love by purchasing th necessary packages for a funeral. assisting my sales team through coaching, mentoring, monitoring their daily performances.to meet their quota, takes staying focused at all times.

7. "The only work place I've known that felt like a real family."

Former Employee - Website Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Website Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this place. I truly grew to love all my coworkers and manager like a real family. I never dreaded going into work, even if the work was at times stressful. I honestly loved my work here and would recommend anyone that is interested in working with SCI to do it. I truly miss working with my team and still remain friends with all of them to this day.

Cons

There is not a single bad thing I can say about Service Corporation International.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing JB! You're a true leader and not just a typical "boss".

8. "More than I Ever Could have Imagined"

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time

Pros

Upper Management is fantastic in my area although I have had many long weeks it never goes unappreciated by anyone in upper management

Cons

the hours can be very long and you must learn to tune yourself out at some point after work...if not the job gets you...at least in my case....you have to take care of yourself first but this is not a con of the company

9. "Incredible company that believes what it presents."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great potential for income and career growth.

Cons

As with most companies, politics can be a problem.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who work in the day to day operations of the company.

"SCI is a great place to work, the people are friendly and reasonable, and company has a strong growth trajectory"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management has a strong strategic vision that is well publicized and followed, the people are reasonable, the hours are short, and people are promoted frequently

Cons

Pay is on the lower end of the scale--particularly for entry level "business" positions