Service Systems Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Service Systems Associates President & Owner Sean McNicholas
Sean McNicholas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lot's of opportunity for growth from seasonal part time to full time management (in 4 reviews)

• free admission for you and your family (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • more training is needed, remote locations don't see much of upper management, compensation isn't always the greatest (in 5 reviews)

• Seasonality can be a challenge for part time staff (in 4 reviews)

1. "Well Accommodated"

Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Service Systems Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They work with a fixed schedule and have very proper management.

Cons

The work can become physically draining

Advice to Management

Communication is important.

Mar 9, 2017 – Culture & Communication

Thanks for taking the time to offer us your input

2. "It's okay for a first or second job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Service Systems Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Neat online schedule
    Really flexible with time off requests
    Need little to no experience..seriously, they will hire any one with a pulse.

Cons

No room for growth
    Management was poor

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees

3. "SSA - Houston"

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Systems Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the food is cooked from scratch so it is higher quality than most zoos. Chefs are willing to try new recipes and are open to ideas. Management open to employee learning various jobs. Seeing the animals at the zoo while I work is a great mood booster.

Cons

When I interviewed, I was told that they would work with me to adjust my schedule, but I am repeatedly scheduled for times that I am not able to work. Schedules are often posted the day before they start and mine is never consistent. It is very difficult to find someone to work my shift with such short notice. My days off are very rarely together. Working at a zoo, we get sent home or told not to come in when the weather is bad, but that is something I can accept. My supervisor is very critical and it can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Management needs more training to learn how to use positive reinforcement for the people who work for them. After all, we are supposed to be a team. Since SSA has been at the Houston Zoo for 3 months now, it seems like more of the scheduling kinks would be worked out.

Apr 21, 2017 – Culture & Communication

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hearing from our team is the perfect way to keep working towards creating the amazing culture we strive to create every day. Who wouldn’t love... More

4. "Louisville Zoo"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Service Systems Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Good retail experience that helped get other jobs

Cons

Long shifts outdoors with nothing to do and no water

Mar 22, 2017 – Culture & Communication

Thanks for being a part of our retail team. We will look into the above feedback and address that with our management team.

5. "Culture is important"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Service Systems Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good culture, respect for the people and a fun place to work.

Cons

Entry level jobs can sometimes be on the lower wage scale, which is also standard in the business.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in training and professional development for SSA team members.

6. "Corporate Executive Chef"

Current Employee - Corporate Executive Chef in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Executive Chef in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Service Systems Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

SSA allows employees to have flexibility, business entrepreneurship and pushes people to have a work life balance.

Cons

Food service is a challenging field to work in and demands lots of work and give and take

Advice to Management

Great place to grow in terms of career and life

Jan 6, 2017 – Culture & Communication

We hear you, Chef! Food service in itself is a challenging field. We're glad that SSA can be a place to make it a positive experience.

"Not quite the company they claim to be."

Former Employee - Assistant Restaurant and Cafe Manager At the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, CA

Pros

Excellent food. Pretty good benefits. Great place to see and experience the wonderfullness of the marine life on the Monterey Peninsula and really appreciate the beautiful sanctuary!

Cons

I worked for SSA for almost 1 1/2 years. I started as a supervisor and promoted to Asst. Mngr of the Restaurant and Cafe. I was told I had to take the position, which I did, and did a great job. I was trained on the Steven Covey 7 Habits, (another "had to"), and did. I actually enjoyed that training and implemented a lot of that training into my style of management. (Upper management constantly preached the 7 Habits in every meeting, and in daily conversations with the team.). I was released from my position in August, very abruptly, and out of the blue. I wasn't given a reason as to why I was released, nor was I treated respectfully during my exit. Upper management treated me like a common criminal, as I was practically shoved out of the door, in front of approximately 25 people who were within the perimeter of the building from where I was being, "escorted out" of. (Many of these people were lining up to enter the facility.). I also was told later by an employee still working there, (for SSA), that the "team" was told to block me from any correspondence and contact with them. Now I can understand this if I was some sort of a goofball, but I can assure you, I am not! In fact, up until just 2 days prior to my release, I received high praises from the GM and the HR manager, for doing an awesome job! To add, I have received close to 20 praises from both managers, (which I have saved in emails), stating how great a job I was doing and what a pleasure I was to work with, etc., etc., only to be released on a whim, without an explination of any sort, and basically pushed out of the door. My upper managers were not who they portrayed themselves to be. Nor were they professional and respectful as they claimed either. (I had observed this behavior from both, during instances, involving other "team" members in the past, as well.). Since my unfortunate departure, I found out my GM had put in his resignation. I Imy know why he did, just that he did. So..with that stated, I have absolutely nothing good to say with regard to SSA. Perhaps in the future some "corporate team members" will take some time and really see what goes on in the "real time" work world. Lastly, and one more little tidbit to learn.. My upper management team spent quite a bit of company money on "upper management team" birthdays, anniversaries, etc., (as many as 30 in my short tenure), and didn't do the same spending, (or any spending at all, for that matter), on lower management, or any subordinate team members. Just sayin..

Advice to Management

Check out what's really going on with the "upper management teams". Bottom line.. Stop the spending on "upper management team" birthdays, anniversaries, etc., treat people with respect, (at all times, coming in and going out), loose the 7Habits training, (they just don't practice what they preach), and by all means, ensure upper management is evaluated on not just revenue numbers, but people skills, as well.

Nov 20, 2016 – Culture & Communication

We were glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and the benefits while you were with SSA. We can assure you that we take your comments and statements very seriously regarding both your... More

8. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Service Systems Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work for an extremely compassionate family
    - Working with motivated people
    - Ability to mentor young staff
    - Working at a zoo

Cons

- Seasonality can be a challenge for part time staff

Advice to Management

- Keep providing everyone opportunities for growth

Sep 13, 2016 – Culture & Communication

The family nature of our company is important to us - heck it's our foundation. Thank you for recognizing that. You mentioned, "keep providing everyone opportunities for growth" ... you bet we... More

9. "I Love Working for SSA!"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Service Systems Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Family-oriented company
    - Amazing culture
    - Executive leadership is strong
    - Work-life balance
    - Growth potential
    - Opportunity to highlight your strengths and grow as a manager

Cons

- During the busy season it is common to work 50+ hours each week

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing :) It works!

Sep 13, 2016 – Culture & Communication

Thank you for taking the time to review our company!

10. "SSA is the best!"

Current Employee - Director of Catering & Events in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Catering & Events in Denver, CO

Pros

Family-friendly
    flexible
    Great culture
    Fantastic food and service
    Great management

Cons

I can't think of any significant cons for working for SSA.

Sep 13, 2016 – Culture & Communication

We feel a little strange saying it (because of course we're bias), but since you said it first, we're going to echo - we think we're not all that bad, either =). While we're not perfect and are... More