ServiceMaster Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ServiceMaster CEO Robert Gillette
Robert Gillette

Pros
Cons
  • Expectation of working very long hours in exchange for very little reward (in 14 reviews)

• little authority and room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "good job lots of challenges"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ServiceMaster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

you get to help people restore the lives after a fire and flod

Cons

on call 24 7 and work up to 15 hours straight no work home balance

2. "administrative Coordinator"

I have been working at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

customer service good place to work

Cons

none that i know of at present

3. "Bio tech support"

Former Employee - Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at ServiceMaster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping others in time of need, travel seeing different cities and counties in Maryland , learning new skills about fire ,mold , flood damage and how's it's good to have insurance for your home.

Cons

Some long days and nights being away from your family for 12 or more days straight ,24 hour emergency service being called out in the middle of the night at times being in a attic in the middle of August..

Advice to Management

Hire some temporary employment ,learn how to rotate days and not just say it all the time.

5. "Regional Account Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in New London, CT
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in New London, CT

I have been working at ServiceMaster (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of freedom to market to who you want and every job is different

Cons

franchise structure so benefits are not the greatest

6. "Intern"

Pros

Great work environment with people willing to help.

Cons

Not enough time working there.

7. "Do so at your own risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at ServiceMaster full-time

Pros

SOME of the people you may end up working with and building a relationship. Too bad there isn't a negative star rating.

Cons

There is no opportunity for growth unless you learn to play the game. No performance evaluations because your manager is too busy trying to move up to be concerned about your performance and growth. They will use you for your knowledge and discard of you like you're Monday's trash pick up. There is no appreciation for hard work. It seems you have to be a little on the dumb side or play dumb to move up in the company or you can always kiss up to get there. If you've been with the company for a long time and you're truly trying to grow and advance, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN unless there is new leadership that's willing to give you a chance. The less knowledge you have, the better off you seem to be.

Advice to Management

Show genuine concern for your employees and that you appreciate them. Allow more of your internal employees opportunities to be developed and grow with the organization.

8. "Project Manager"

Pros

Helping people recover from disaster

Cons

Odd hours, ultra competitive with other recovery companies

9. "Part-time cleaner"

Former Employee - Part-time Cleaner in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Part-time Cleaner in Pensacola, FL

I worked at ServiceMaster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work as a team member or work alone

Cons

It was part time only employment

Advice to Management

none

10. "Behind the times and below the wage scale."

Former Employee - Salaried Supervisor in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Salaried Supervisor in Concord, CA

I worked at ServiceMaster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of dedicated, hard working employees.

Cons

Poor leadership, incredibly low wages, terrible (almost non-existent) benefits and vacation package. No 401k; and limited opportunities for advancement. Expectation of working very long hours in exchange for very little reward. Not a place to build a career; there is a huge disconnect between administrative and field staff.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth, and offer a competitive benefits package. Utilize your existing talent, and make a greater effort to promote from within. Work to bridge the gap between field and office staff.

11. "Mid Level Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Rome, GA

I worked at ServiceMaster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pro's if you are honest.

Cons

Cons is a good name for how this company operated. Upper management is all about money and how much they can make off of the client. No matter how big or how small, they treat everyone the same. How much can we make and how little can we do. The customer does not matter to them. Keep the costs down so they can profit as much as possible. Nothing wrong with keeping costs down, but to the point of being so cheap that if you were asked to buy something for the job, you had to go through a paper trail to get your money back. Questioning the purchase, sometimes not paying you back at all. No company credit cards. OK, but when you have to buy your own office supplies for their company it gets pretty bad and then they blame everything on tech's, client, or anyone but their sorry company. Greed index is out of this world. Seeing the way they operated from within as an employee at one of the franchisees was enlightening as to how bad they treated employee's and their customers. Upper management was detached from the real world. When disaster strikes the management could not handle the stress of the job and would respond in a knee jerk fashion, and send employee's scrambling in many different directions. Then when something went wrong they would blame everyone else but themselves. I didn't get away from this company fast enough. I had started sending out resumes two weeks prior to getting let go. Why because I ruffled feathers by calling out feedback from customers and even adjusters who had problems with the way things were being handled. The corporate head quarters may be different, but the franchisees are a disaster themselves. I had a contractor friend that worked for a different franchise in same town and he had the same experiences I did. Greed, blinded by greed to the point of billing for work never done. Not caring about the clients home and the aftermath of what they had to do in order to secure the job and lock in the business. Disgraceful is the word for how they operated. Greedy and disgraceful. Praying for disasters the bigger the better.

Advice to Management

Quit blaming everyone else for your mismanaged mistakes. Treat your customers better. You know their always right? Not with this company. I say get rid of upper management and let someone that's honest run the company. Stop over billing. Stop charging for work that is not done. Management? the only thing I saw was micro managing the employee's to the point where upper management did not trust their own people and did not care about the customer at all, only how much could they make. Greedy and Disgraceful should be on the trucks. The man that started this company would object to what I saw and how his company is run by some of these franchise's . Or maybe this is how they train everyone. I don't know. I have read some of the reviews on this site and you look at a negative review and think, a disgruntled employee, Sure most of them are. I assure you this is my experience. We had a new hire tech come in and last a few months and lucky him he already had another job and gave his two week notice. He saw how crazy it was to work there. He was a good guy and a hard worker. He was also honest. My advice to management, stop taking money for work that is not done. Stop over billing, Stop blaming good hard working employee's for doing their job the way you asked them to, blame yourselves for the misguided management of the jobs. Now not all of the jobs were bad and some of them did get handled right. But more times than not there was a question about something done or not done on the job. This company was fired off several jobs for lack of direction and lack of work done. Sometimes this company would bite off more than it could chew. They would lock in the job then for whatever reason they could not get the man power to do the job so we were let go and another company was called.
    Advice to management, don't get so greedy that you loose jobs. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.