Sesame Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sesame Communications CEO Frank Fite
Frank Fite

Pros
  • I couldn't ask for a better team to work under and learn from (in 2 reviews)

• I genuinely enjoy coming to work (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Sesame recently was acquired by Internet Brands, who swept through the building and cleared out a significant number of employees (in 6 reviews)

• The HR department is the worst I've experienced at any company I've ever worked for (in 2 reviews)

1. "Sesame Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I've been working at Sesame Communications for about a year. Since joining the team it's been a wonderful place to work. I genuinely enjoy coming to work. Sesame is a place where everyone is friendly, creative, hard-working and reliable. Every day I witness our team working together to put the dentist and orthodontist first. Our team is great at problem solving, being innovative and kind.

Cons

We are owned by a parent company – Internet Brands. This in itself can have its challenges when trying to accomplish some tasks. Overall the specific people I work with down in El Segundo finish tasks in a timely manner when asked.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the transparency you bring to the team. Every person on the leadership team has helped me grow in my career in some way or another. Keep on keeping on.

"Terrible leadership and processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sesame Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and commission structure are OK

Cons

Where to begin? The management and HR department are horrible with being transparent. They've said a lot with no action. They should fire the top management and start over with more qualified leaders. The HR department is the worst I've experienced at any company I've ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Over haul your leaders and HR department asap.

"Account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sesame Communications full-time

Pros

Growing company, good technology

Cons

Hectic, disorganized at times. No clearly defined role.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Stop hiring so many people and focus on the people who are here.

4. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sesame Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Sesame over 8 years and couldn't be happier. I love the environment & culture, and the leadership team is amazing. I couldn't ask for a better team to work under and learn from. They allow everyone to contribute ideas for growth and customer service.
    We have great benefits, both transportation & health

Cons

If you like to drive to work, parking is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing

"Slowing-Moving Company that Sometimes Hires Bullies"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

Pros

I was a web developer at Sesame. Some of my managers genuinely cared about me and addressed work issues when I brought them up. I also got a version of Linux installed on my Windows machine which greatly increased my web dev knowledge.

Finally, I engaged in heavy use of documenting web dev procedures on Confluence which greatly cut down coworkers asking my questions on repetitive work processes.

Cons

Unfortunately Sesame hired managers who were bullies at times. NOT ALL managers were bullies and my last manager at Sesame was wonderful to work for. However, a previous manager I had was a bully and would often make jokes, at my expense or my teammates' expense, that hit below the belt. Another manager that I had to collaborate with would often not show up to meetings on a specific project I was involved in, and would affect his team.

Also, as my team was involved in easier web development, compared to other teams, we didn't engage using common web dev tools or processes like using Git for backups or having daily stand-up meetings. Sometimes website files were deleted without backups and my at one point my team went one or two months without having any meetings so problems were not addressed. Finally, the web developer pay compared to other companies is very, very low!

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are genuinely friendly to their subordinates. This includes managers engaging their subordinates in small talk, doing weekly or monthly one-on-one check-ins, and actually showing up to meetings.

Regarding the web dev team, get them to use common development tools like Bitbucket, Confluence, and JIRA. Or, if some of those tools are too expensive then use less expensive options. Have daily stand-up meetings that last 5 to 10 minutes to quickly address problems and solutions.

6. "A great place to learn"

Former Employee - Search Engine Optimization Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Search Engine Optimization Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sesame Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will take entry level people pretty easily if you have a base knowledge of the job you are applying to. It's a great place to get your start but isn't a long term viable option. There were some great people who worked there and company culture was healthy

Cons

My salary was actually decreased year-to-year when they removed a bonus system. They generally don't have competitive salaries. I wouldn't work here for more than 2 years, just enough to get experience under your belt. The main problem was that they don't understand their own product so they charge less for services and therefore can't pay their employees what they should.

Advice to Management

Figure out a better pricing model so that you can start to have competitive pay. Otherwise, don't be surprised when talent leaves en mass

7. "Positive and fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people at Sesame are top shelf. Most days fly by as we work hard but have fun. I'm in sales, so I love the ability to self manage myself and create my own paycheck. The value of the products and service we provide is exceptional.

Cons

We used to do more marketing and trade shows which created better conversations more often than cold calling prospects. Since we are a premium product, inbound conversations are much more productive typically.

Advice to Management

Business development opportunities can take the company to the next level.

8. "3 years, more to come!"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

Pros

Close sales team, focused atmosphere, relaxed expectations, room to achieve. Comp structured properly with continuity between leadership and employees to maximize opportunity.

Cons

Recent aquisition created changes uncomfortable for many, those have settled. Elevator is slow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work,

9. "We care"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sesame Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are awesome, smart, dedicated and a pleasure to work with. I'm on the sales team, i can personally say the folks i work with go above and beyond to problem solve for our prospects and members. It's a tough job no question, however finding practices that match up well with our solutions and seeing them succeed makes it worth the hard work.

Cons

More marketing!!! But hey, what sales person doesn't want more marketing.

Advice to Management

Hire more peeps to help us manage the demand we have for our services! Let's commit to providing the best service in the business to our members.

10. "Great Opportunity for Hard Workers"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sesame Communications (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company over a year now. It's been through some changes, but honestly, I think they are for the better. There are less company parties and random perks, but I personally thought some of this was excessive before. There ARE lots of hard workers here who go above & beyond in all departments. I've been impressed with the level of accountability and teamwork I've seen so far. I've seen several employees come in with a limited skill set, and really grow to become leaders.

Cons

What department wouldn't want more support in any company? But I think we're managing just fine with what we have too.

Advice to Management

More marketing