Sesame Workshop Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sesame Workshop President & CEO Jeffrey Dunn
Jeffrey Dunn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Sesame Workshop has a great mission and does really wonderful, impactful work (in 12 reviews)

• Great people doing great work, excellent work-life balance including summer Fridays and a break between Christmas and New Years (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy management in which fiefdom's squalled and wasted time (i (in 16 reviews)

• It's a non profit but fair compensation is still an important necessity (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Cretiv in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cretiv in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel badly for anyone who has had a poor experience working at Sesame Workshop. This place is filled with not only very smart people - but people who truly care about the cause and effects which cause them to do, what they do - so very well. I am very proud of the direction the company is going in.

Cons

the hours can be long.. and yes there are cliques here and there.

Advice to Management

Focus a bit more on the sesame lifers. I think they feel left out or intimidated by the new hires, younger crowds and change of process. Change can wither be as painful as ripping off a Band-Aid or flow easily like water...Also continue the great work that you all have been doing. I Like it!

"VP"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's history speaks for itself.

Cons

But it's history is all-but-over with a TERRIBLE new president and his band of misfit "friends" he likes to call "executives." The alienation they have caused between any employee from the old successful regime and the new staffers is unbelievable. They have destroyed a beloved brand...and a wonderful, rewarding place to call "work."

Advice to Management

Lose this regime, and fast! They fire anyone with a decent paycheck, and lump their responsibilities on others for a miniscule amount of money. Morale is horrendous. Get back to what we were...a GREAT place to work...with a GREAT mission. "Nickelodeon Street" is not what we want to be.

3. "Fairly good place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The first day I came to interview, even though I didn't know anyone, people smiled at me as they passed by.

-friendly coworkers, made some great friends
    -benefits for long-term contractual workers
    -banana basket, appeared randomly a few times a week

Cons

The company is big, so I think it depends on what department you're in.
    -Work can be repetitive
    -Wish there was more time for mentorship and growth

4. "Creative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission great talented creatives who strives for better products helping children around world through reading writing learning kindness charitable organization great leadership

Cons

Mac techs incompetent no follow through for users with partial software installs no knowledge of Mac basics no callbacks on support staff top heavy

Advice to Management

Management provides no training to techs just punches in clock

"Great people, great work, but lack of interest in employees"

I worked at Sesame Workshop full-time

Pros

Personnel, albeit clickish, are friendly for the most part. Depending on your work, you'll actually be adding value to the company.

Cons

For a non profit that tries to educate kids, they don't seem to care about educating their employees. There is a severe lack of interest in developing employees. This is a place where people's careers goes to die. It's great if you aren't career oriented or if you are looking for a paycheck. If you are hungry to learn and improve, look elsewhere.

Also, they seemingly don't care about contractors or temps. Quite a few coworkers who fell into this category are often left out of company events.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees, not just full time. The hypocrisy is hilarious. How can you effectively educated kids when you don't want to invest in your employees?

6. "positive experience, friendly people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Positive and friendly atmosphere. Everyone is pleasant and willing to help out. I got to meet the guy who played big bird which was pretty cool.

Cons

Can't really think of any

"Good to Employees, Not as Fulfilling as Hoping for"

Current Employee - Senior Interactive Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Interactive Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are good to employees with vacation time and flexible hours. There is a lot of work to do day-to-day, but the hours aren't expected to go beyond 10-6. People below senior staff are very friendly and kind and good to one another.

Cons

Budgets are small and tight, so there are weird workarounds that you need to create to get work done. Projects are very frustrating to work on long term. Many Senior through VP level people are not business and strategy minded, but are put in charge of big projects and areas of business, and they don't take a big picture approach, but instead come at from their areas of Production experience. So you find yourself working on projects that feel very unplanned and unfocused, and there is almost never a plan to market or raise awareness of new content. So the impact you hope to make with the work you create doesn't reach the audience you are trying to reach. People in higher positions are afraid to take risks so it seems like we do the same type of projects and make the same kinds of mistakes over and over.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in River Vale, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in River Vale, NJ

I worked at Sesame Workshop (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the office was very friendly!

Cons

My type of internship was only 3 days a week, but would have loved more time

"Digital Producer"

Former Employee - Digital Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked on great projects with brilliant and creative co-workers.

Generally happy work environment that have a great mission and brand.

Cons

Top heavy management in which fiefdom's squalled and wasted time (i.e. $$$). Stuck in an analogy industry and only paid lip-service to new learning technology.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at yourself and figure out if you are educating underprivileged children throughout the world or sadly protecting your small corner at Sesame Workshop

"The ruining of an icon"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Sesame Workshop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and mission, great benefits, iconic brand

Cons

Company has been in a constant state of change for almost 2 years now. No loyalty to veteran staff. Interested in hiring fresh-faced, young, inexperienced employees at a much lower pay rate. Client relationships and company morale are suffering.

Advice to Management

Cutting too many veteran staff including the main characters on Sesame Street!