Setai South Beach Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "great spirit"

Pros

guest satisfaction is guaranteed, and very good collaboration between departments.

Cons

inexperienced leadership, they are focus on the company's present and current budget while ignoring important aspect future development.

2. "Accounting department"

I worked at Setai South Beach full-time

Pros

Good compensation, decent benefits, minimal corporate bureaucracy, ability to carry out duties with minimal corporate involvement. Great meals in the restaurants.

Cons

Very high turnover, poor reputation due to prior management company. Initial accounting systems & processes poorly set up resulting in frustrating conditions.

Advice to Management

I would like to think everything has been reevaluated and new processes have been implemented by now.

"The most luxurious hotel with awful management!"

Former Employee - Head Department in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Head Department in Miami, FL

I worked at Setai South Beach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You may ask what's is mean "the most luxurious hotel with awful management" used to have great management and new kids with no experience been a manager and made horrible place to work. Nakash family has no idea how to run luxury place even they live there 10 years. But l don't blame them a lot. they hired so many new managers they are kind and they messed up everything. Basically who they trusted they made a more mess then anyone

Cons

Locker rooms, cafeteria and offices in crossing the street. Worst employees meal very dirty! and smells. 1 service elevator for 120 units condos. 2 hours of your shift just for waiting elevator. Hotel side elevator may out of order over weeks. l seen a month! when you selling cheapest room $700.00 a night your elevator is out! no equipment,no vision so much wasting money.

Advice to Management

Nothing they can do much because owner doesn't allow them to do it. at least make a good food for staff. it's shame to see mess in cafeteria

5. "Front Desk Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami Beach, FL

I worked at Setai South Beach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clientele base. Beautiful environment to work in. Nice management team.

Cons

Parking can be a problem as no designated employee parking available, but that's the norm in this area for all hotels. employee locker room and cafeteria is one block away from hotel, so it is not easy to walk in between when it's raining.

"Employee"

Pros

They give you full benefits.

Cons

management is awful and has no idea what they're doing. Too much gossip. Worst year of employment. Run Forrest run.

"Run!!!! Don't Walk"

Former Employee - Room Attendant in Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Room Attendant in Miami Beach, FL

Pros

The view on the condominium Tower side is spectacular. Your positive team will motivate you to do your best and perform your best ; Stay close to them and keep your distance from negative demeanor from upper management. Very high turn over since The Nakash company took over. So yeah they will hire anyone at this point.

Cons

New management (Nakash) doesn't know how to operate a luxury hotel. Very high turn over. Doesn't Embrace Employees. Cut hours when slow and will work you to death when busy. Your input your opinion you as an individual does not matter to them. The Nakash sole concern is to make money from the millionare, billionaire guest that checks in. All the departments such as housekeeping, engineer, food and beverage complain that since this new company took over they don't have enough supplies and constantly running out of supplies. Very stressful environment. No encouragement from upper management instead most will put you down because of mistakes you've missed. You are program to be essentially a Robot.

Advice to Management

Staff strongly desires a sense of positivity within this work place. In the beginning I was hire late 2013 the start of busy season. I worked to my full potential to satisfy my guest. Recognizing them by their names, catering to their special requests, in a fast sufficient manner. I was even placed in positions where I had to rectify complaint made by guest. I knew that my position wouldn't be a life long career however I wanted to give my very best as a Room attendant. Guest appreciate that. With all the changes made recently and before my departure at The Setai guest asked me about the changes made at the hotel. My response was " Hopefully for the Better" Nakash please recognize and embrace your employees because you are currently loosing many great one.

8. "Expectations are high; results are rewarding"

I worked at Setai South Beach full-time

Pros

The level of guest service is unparalleled; superseding it would be nearly impossible.

Cons

At times even the most experienced and weathered hospitality professionals can be challenged in this environment.

Advice to Management

Great work

"The worse management operation i ever seem"

Pros

Good money(when it's busy). Very quite job, no crazy South Beach environment.

Cons

Management operation is awful. The segregation inside the hotel is unbelievable.

Advice to Management

Try to teach their employees what is a team work.

10. "A beautiful property with questionable business practices."

Pros

A sanctuary in south beach, celebrities often frequent this stunningly beautiful property. Clean uniforms and lunch cafeteria are provided for full time employees along with full benefits package to include health, vision, dental, 401k, paid vacation and paid time off.

Cons

The hotel is managed by Trevi, a Texas based hotel management company after General Hotel Management (GHM) contract was terminated two years ago for its media attention about alleged mistreatment of employees and illegal business practices, allegedly. The problem is, the SOPs established by GHM are still in practice with Trevi in the spa. We are often expected to perform work duties on broken and faulty equipment, unsanitary conditions and new employees are thrown in without any protocol training from management while colleagues are given the responsibility of training and guiding new people with no additional pay or recognition. There is no lead therapist or head technician and both the supervisor and spa director have never worked in another spa before nor have they ever held any practitioner licenses so their knowledge base is extremely limited. Thier inexperience leads to misguided practices, a confusing spa menu, an unpleasant appointment booking experience and mistreatment of the practitioners. Employees are often not given lunch breaks because we are scheduled 7 hour (or less) shifts so legally a break isn't required according to labor laws, but because it's legal that doesn't make it right. Additionally practitioners are mislead about compensation, we are told that we receive 20%, plus tips. In practice, however, the hotel charges guests an additional 20% of the advertised price AS tip and calls it a "service charge". Then management discourages guests from tipping by saying "we already added 20% for your therapist". Guests often say "so tip is included?" The spa director trains front desk to say "Yes, we added it for you already". This creates impressive revenues for the spa with service costs ranging from $180 to $390. The cost of paying their employee's for the work performed is diverted onto the guests and the guests are mislead to believe they've left a tip when they haven't. This creates annimosity among employees and management and creates a rift between front desk and practitioners, understandably because the front desk is left with the responsibility of explaining to guests why the bill is presented like this:

$180 Oriental Massage
    $36 Service Charge
    $___ Tip
    $216 Total.

Making a reservation in an unpleasant booking experience because front desk is given the responsibility of booking the correct service matching guests expectations with what we offer in the menu and the correct pricing and policies information. The problem is, the prices are different depnding on the type of massage even if the duration of service is the same. But, they are not practitioners, their booking agents and the information they have is what ever is printed on the menu and because the types of services are extensive they often make mistakes that hinder the guests experience.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees. Make sure a licensed practitioner is part of the management team in the spa by promoting a Lead Therapist so we are represented when decisions are being made about our work conditions and policies. Stop misleading employees and guests about the payment structure, the way it's done currently is legal but that doesn't make it right. Make all 1 hour massages the same price regardless of type so that the booking experience is more pleasant for guests and easier for front desk agents. Pa your practitioners 20% commission as promised and get rid of the service charge so guests can determine the amount they want to leave their therapists. The hotel should not mandate that the guests pay the employees salary, that's the responsibility of the hotel, allow the guests to determine how much to tip in addition, if at all. Present the bill like this:

$210 One Hour Massage
    $___ Tip
    $___ Total

Guests would be happier, front desk would have an easier more seamless booking strategy and practitioners would be paid fairly and the hotel would still generate impressive revenue.

I have so much more to say but this would be a good start.

"Line cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Miami, FL

I worked at Setai South Beach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Restaurant tries to impress with Asian decor & open exhibition kitchen.

Cons

F&B management scream at employes; equipment often breaks down; & kitchen is dirty. Food is horrid.

Advice to Management

Treat employes with respect; listen to their ideas; eliminate racism in your attitudes.