SevOne Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney

Pros
  • I could not be happier with my decision to join the SevOne family and become a part of the culture of awesome (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance is good and technically you learn and gain a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • SevOne is in the middle of the worst growing pains I've ever witnessed or heard about (in 13 reviews)

• That has to tell you something about the "culture of awesome" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You can't always be on a rocket ship"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike most of my tenured colleagues here at SevOne, I've worked for a lot of other large companies. And I can still say that of all of them, this is hands down my favorite. There are a lot of good things to talk about. Some of them are team based. I work with some of the most intelligent, hardest working and creative people that I've ever seen in a team. And that's just my team. The company itself is my second family. We take the time to celebrate our victories together, whether they be a new deal, the birth of a child or a marriage. Like a family we also share the negatives. We've had divorces, deaths and some bumpy quarters. But we keep bouncing back. Those of us that remain on the ship are paddling together, in sync. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've ever seen. And we will keep paddling until we win the race.

I'm sure a lot of you that come here aren't looking for prose like I've listed above... so I suppose I'll capitulate and give you a bit of cold, hard facts as well.

Unlimited PTO
    Paid bi-weekly lunches
    The possibility of part ownership in the company
    CEO level access
    Incredibly smart co-workers
    Not a lot of red-tape
    Cutting edge technology
    Open door policy across the management base, where your voice is actually heard
    Great health benefits
    401k
    Snacks in the office
    Coke freestyle machines
    Regular get togethers
    Co-workers that are into your form of nerdery (whatever form that may take: cars, music, movies, card games, D&D, coding, reddit etc etc etc)

Cons

The company hit a well published bump over the past couple of quarters, resulting in some layoffs.
    This means the thick door to get in is getting thicker with less openings.
    You will have to work hard. I need to stress that. If you are not in it to win it, keep looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep going the way you're going. We are moving in the right direction, and we need to stay full steam ahead.

"Could not ask for a better place to work"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not many companies that are growing as fast as SevOne while still able to maintain their identity as a close knit and fun place to work. SevOne somehow manages to do that. Seeing the company thrive in the relatively short time that I've been here has been almost as exciting as playing frisbee with one of its founders every Friday.

The people that work here are intelligent and good at what they do, but have no problem finding the time to play guitar during lunch breaks, or getting overly competitive with each other in Minecraft.

As far as the work itself, it can be challenging, but it is certainly rewarding as well. One of the benefits of being in a smaller company are all of the different projects that you get to work on, allowing you to get experience in many different facets of the company.

Cons

There isn't a ping pong table. Yet.

"Awesome Company To Work For!"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SevOne is an amazing place to work. The atmosphere is great, and you can see how the unique culture is cultivated and supported at all levels. There is always something fun happening at the office. I love it! Honestly couldn't have been happier with the decision to join this company.

Cons

Have nothing negative to say about this company.

"Great place to start a career and grow with a company"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are a "go-getter" and like to take initiative. There is a lot of opportunity to grow, be innovative and push boundaries. If you like a fun environment with cutting edge leadership this is the to be.

Cons

Lack of new hire orientation

"Exciting workplace filled with brilliant & fun people!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SevOne posses a certain Silicon Valley-esque feel from its business innovation to come-as-you-are atmosphere. Yet it functions and runs very much like a public company from the business strategy to aggressive growth model. That is what I like most about working for SevOne, you get the best of both worlds. This is the place where your ideas can make visible impacts. Plus, free lunch every other Thursday!

Cons

Sometimes the music gets really loud, but then, at least there's music!

Advice to Management

Love the open-door policy!

"I've been an employee at SevOne for over a year and a half"

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SevOne provides a great environment to work in and has great employees that all want the customer to be happy and the company to continue to be successful. Its great to work at a place where people actually care about their work and care about their results.

The company has a very bright future

Cons

Lack of training
    Long work days

Advice to Management

Implement more training for employees to expand their current knowledgebase which will allow them to grow withing their role at the company and be able to handle more tasks and roles

"Lots of great opportunities"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opinions help develop the product, lots of potential internal growth, competitive salary, awesome happy hours, company lunches, cake

Cons

No bonuses, I don't really have any cons...

"Great for IT veterans and ambitious newbies alike."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn something, every day, this is the place to be. The product is a bit monolithic and intimidating at first, but the talent pool here is outstanding, and there is no shortage of very friendly, patient and SMART people willing to help and give guidance.

Even veteran programmers will find challenges they most likely have never encountered before, and there are tons of opportunities to branch out and learn new things. They allow and encourage continuing education, even on the clock to a certain extent, and there are monthly 'co-hards' where you can work on personal programming projects.

As the company has grown, management opportunities are scaling linearly, so there are definitely opportunities as you grow in the company, if that's something you're interested in. There is still a very 'start up' atmosphere and it is a casual, relaxed and fun place to work (although I don't know everybody's names!).

Cons

We're getting better at this all the time, but a bit more formalized training process would be beneficial. It used to be 'read the manual', which was not very helpful (especially if you were new to networking technologies), but we've gotten some more standardized classes, and could use some more.

Advice to Management

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"I swore I'd never give up consulting and take a regular job."

Current Employee - Developer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Developer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As my 17 year old recently pointed out: "You always say "I'm going to SevOne. You never call it work."
    I work with top echelon developers. There are no egos. OK, of course we all have egos. There is just an enormous amount of respect for the abilities and strengths of co-workers. All ideas are considered. We even have (and use extensively) a mail group tag to all tech personnel called "Dumb Questions" to encourage the sharing of "tribal knowledge".

Cons

I haven't found any yet.

Advice to Management

I don't think they need any.

11. "The American Dream...but for real"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The American Dream doesn't hold the weight it used to. Before, a man/woman could move up to the top with hard work, determination, and a bit of cleverness. Now, those very same people are drowning in debt, distracted by pointless materialism, and generally discouraged from any sort of betterment of their lives through their craft...even, and especially, in certain sectors of the technological industry. This is NOT the case at SevOne. An intern can come in and with the aforementioned ideals, and work their way to a very very good position. SevOne rewards hard work, determination, and lots of cleverness, and they reward it well.

Other than that, the people here are the nicest and smartest people you could ever hope to meet. The environment might actually be better than the opportunity. Great company parties, everyone is constantly joking and having fun while they work. Open floor plan. You can't lose.

Cons

The only cons I've run into have to do with the type of frontend technology we use. It isn't bad, and it works well enough for what we do, however it leaves me wanting in terms of novelty. It's a very small con though. In some ways it's actualyl made me a much better developer.