SevOne Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SevOne CEO Jack Sweeney
Jack Sweeney

Pros
  • I could not be happier with my decision to join the SevOne family and become a part of the culture of awesome (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance is good and technically you learn and gain a lot (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • SevOne is in the middle of the worst growing pains I've ever witnessed or heard about (in 13 reviews)

• That has to tell you something about the "culture of awesome" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You can't always be on a rocket ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike most of my tenured colleagues here at SevOne, I've worked for a lot of other large companies. And I can still say that of all of them, this is hands down my favorite. There are a lot of good things to talk about. Some of them are team based. I work with some of the most intelligent, hardest working and creative people that I've ever seen in a team. And that's just my team. The company itself is my second family. We take the time to celebrate our victories together, whether they be a new deal, the birth of a child or a marriage. Like a family we also share the negatives. We've had divorces, deaths and some bumpy quarters. But we keep bouncing back. Those of us that remain on the ship are paddling together, in sync. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've ever seen. And we will keep paddling until we win the race.

I'm sure a lot of you that come here aren't looking for prose like I've listed above... so I suppose I'll capitulate and give you a bit of cold, hard facts as well.

Unlimited PTO
    Paid bi-weekly lunches
    The possibility of part ownership in the company
    CEO level access
    Incredibly smart co-workers
    Not a lot of red-tape
    Cutting edge technology
    Open door policy across the management base, where your voice is actually heard
    Great health benefits
    401k
    Snacks in the office
    Coke freestyle machines
    Regular get togethers
    Co-workers that are into your form of nerdery (whatever form that may take: cars, music, movies, card games, D&D, coding, reddit etc etc etc)

Cons

The company hit a well published bump over the past couple of quarters, resulting in some layoffs.
    This means the thick door to get in is getting thicker with less openings.
    You will have to work hard. I need to stress that. If you are not in it to win it, keep looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep going the way you're going. We are moving in the right direction, and we need to stay full steam ahead.

2. "Great Place to Learn"

I worked at SevOne full-time

Pros

It is a great place to learn a lot quickly. Because it is growing, you often the the opportunities to dabble in a lot of different areas and try out new ideas. Often times are larger companies, you don't get to be as experimental.

Cons

The company is growing, and therefore is going through a lot of growing pains. The top management also at times seemed to be out of tune with the culture and needs of the employees.

3. "SevOne is Trying Hard to regain its Past"

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

Been here for over 3 years. It is still a great place to work. Sevone went through a phase where there hired anyone that came along, and finally realized they were pretty much useless and terminated them. Work is challenging, processes are being improved and quality is on the rise.

Cons

They are still hiring upper managers that all worked for the same past company.
    Maybe not a great idea.

Advice to Management

Move up a long time worker or two to a higher position in management and have them work out of the Delaware office.

"It's like being on the Titanic- Get on a Life Boat"

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

There are phenomenal people at SevOne- Some of the most intelligent and collaborative people I have met in my career. Things the past year have been turbulent, and there are still people who work everyday to try to contribute to the company, both technically and to the culture.

Cons

The things that have gone on at SevOne are pretty unreal. There is zero transparency and this is not a company of thousands upon thousands of employees. After the brutal, public, and poorly managed lay offs 6 months ago, the CEO and other executives from Bain hide in their office in Boston and provide zero communication to anyone. They are not assisting in Pro Serv or Development and not helping Sales team in driving sales; quite frankly they are spending their time developing other companies whose boards they sit on while they drop the ball with SevOne. When the CEO and CFO did go to the Headquarters for an all company meeting, they made bold-faced lies about the position of the company, promised everyone job security, and then proceeded with more layoffs a week later. It just seems like they don't know how to manage funds or they are siphoning money from the Company.

Advice to Management

Just be transparent. If we aren't pivoting fast enough, let us know what we need to do, or let us move on with our careers and stop lying. Even after the August layoffs, many of us wanted to pull together to get the company back on track. There is not a person here that does not understand that you need to keep some things confidential, but stop lying and show up in your headquarters more than once every 6 months.

"SevOne's cut artery - can we be saved?"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Newark, DE

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

It's fast, intense, and rewarding work

Cons

I wish there was room for career advancement. There isn't. Is seems like every time we need someone in a leadership position we hire from the outside. There used to be a culture of awesomeness. Now there's a culture of fear. People are afraid to speak their minds about the horrible stuff that's happening short of a guarantee of anonymity. We were top-heavy before the two rounds of mass layoffs. Now we're extremely top-heavy and no in a position to do anything about it cares. They're all stuck in their ivory tower in Boston, and don't have a clue what happens in the heart of the company in Newark. They visit every once in a while, but it reminds me more the president just going by in a bullet proof car -- people can view them go by, but they're still in a protective little bubble isolated from the rest of the world -- and the town hall meetings, ha - that's a laugh. Management keeps talking about money, money, money -- how about we have to be "cash flow neutral." Between the multiple rounds of mass layoffs, the talk about how we "don't have money" for things, you start seeing people leave more, the more people leave the faster other people start leaving. I've been told that I'm "stupid" for staying at SevOne, but I'm here until the ride has come to a complete stop -- whatever that means.

Advice to Management

The quantity and speed at which people are leaving makes me feel like SevOne has a cut artery. Fast and immediate action is required. The hemorrhaging of talent needs to stop immediately and at all costs or we're gonna be left with a bunch of newbies that don't know anything and plunge SevOne further into darkness.

"Moving in the right direction..."

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I have come across with seem to be very nice, understanding, and motivated to take SevOne to the next level. Open-door policy which is nice. Management tries to stay connected with all the employees.

Cons

SevOne is moving in the right direction and making positive changes - no Cons to comment on.

Advice to Management

The company seems to be moving in the right direction and we need to continue to do so.

"Bright future -- I hope!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at SevOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart and fun coworkers, casual and supportive management, culture of innovation and reinvention. As a software engineer I'm learning a lot and appreciate the agile work process, high standards, and broad responsibilities.

Cons

Agile product delivery not fully supported from the top, though this is said to be changing. Layoffs in the past few years, hopefully we are past this period.

"Awesome Company"

I have been working at SevOne full-time

Pros

Am a part of SevOne Pune and since the time I have joined I have been learning something new everyday.
    The environment is really friendly and relaxed.

Cons

Didnt find anything worth mentioning as of now

"What you're doing today will not get you to tomorrow..."

I worked at SevOne full-time

Pros

This category requires a twenty word minimum so I will say that there were and still are some brilliant, hard-working, and exemplary employees at SevOne. The trouble is most of them are leaving now that the holidays are over because they, too, cannot fathom how the company and its management team is allowed to lead such a dysfunctional organization. Once these employees are gone, there won't be much left. Sure, the Delaware office is pretty cool, but what's a slide in the office when there is no one left to go down it....?

Cons

There are many challenges to working at SevOne. However, the biggest challenge is the male management team. They will disregard all of your hard work and effort because of your age and gender, meaning there is no career advancement if you are a young female. Respect and integrity is nonexistent in the executive team. They do not appreciate their employees. It is evident in the way they handled a massive lay-off last year, and the fact that the voluntary turnover continues to rise. The leaders have no vision to lead or inspire their current employees to strive forward. Take a look at the rest of the Glassdoor reviews, these are not just disgruntled employees that have been terminated from the company. These are people who worked tirelessly to make SevOne a success and eventually realized that despite all their efforts, they would never be appreciated and so they moved on to new workplaces and are doing their due diligence to forewarn anyone considering employment at SevOne.

Advice to Management

"A person who feels appreciated will always do more than is expected." Get in touch with your employees, not just the managers. Speak to your ground level employees and see what you can do to make them feel appreciated, and then do it. Appreciation goes a long way, and it doesn't mean it's only monetary either, so keep an open mind. If I were a member on the board of SevOne, I'd look past the executive team and talk to employees to find out what's really going on, and then fix it.

11. "Turning Around"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at SevOne (Less than a year)

Pros

Cares about their people, and the sheer attempt to not give up, pivot in a new direction and trying to right the ship says a lot.

Cons

Grew way too fast, spent too much money.

Advice to Management

Go back to what the company was founded out and look to the future.